PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Trace Laser Grips?

mwt1980
05-10-10, 23:32
Do i need one on my M&P9?

Already have the x300 mounted.

nrose8989
05-11-10, 00:54
Do you want one?

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-10, 03:51
You don't need one, but they're definitely worth getting.

operator81
05-11-10, 05:58
I can see their merit on a small pistol, such as a J-frame, LCP or other pistol with little to no sights. For a full sized gun I see them as just another accessory, not a necessity.

If you're looking to improve your shooting, CT grips come in handy while dry firing, but then again, so does a penny on your front sight. For my money, I'd spend it on ammo before a laser.

John_Wayne777
05-11-10, 07:24
Do i need one on my M&P9?

Already have the x300 mounted.

"Need" is a tricky word. No, it's not strictly necessary. That being said, there's no better low light aiming reference currently available for a handgun than a CT laser. Even the best night sights don't match the speed, accuracy, and ease of use that you can get out of a laser.

I'm by no means an expert on gunfighting in low light, but I've done enough low light shooting to know that if I had to use a handgun in low light I'd much rather do it with the laser than without it.

tpd223
05-11-10, 08:14
You need them on a J frame, IMHO,,,,, on the M&P they are nice, although personally I'd rather have the safety on the M&P and this precludes the use of the CT grips.

cevtv
05-11-10, 09:45
I'd rather have the safety on the M&P and this precludes the use of the CT grips.

Not true - very simple mod to make it work.

LHS
05-11-10, 09:59
The laser is very nice to have in low-light. After a bit of practice, I found that I could shoot much faster and more accurately in low light with the laser than I could with just night sights.

Add to that their usefulness in diagnosing trigger press issues, and I find them a worthwhile accessory.

John_Wayne777
05-11-10, 10:56
The laser is very nice to have in low-light. After a bit of practice, I found that I could shoot much faster and more accurately in low light with the laser than I could with just night sights.

To add to the testimonies, I found that I could shoot faster and more accurately with them in low light than I could shoot with iron sights in bright daylight. From a human engineering standpoint, a bright dot that sits on the target you are shooting at is MUCH easier to use as a sighting reference than a couple of metal bumps hanging out in mid-air that must be aligned with the target for precision.

Rated21R
05-11-10, 10:59
To add to the testimonies, I found that I could shoot faster and more accurately with them in low light than I could shoot with iron sights in bright daylight. From a human engineering standpoint, a bright dot that sits on the target you are shooting at is MUCH easier to use as a sighting reference than a couple of metal bumps hanging out in mid-air that must be aligned with the target for precision.

this is probably why i will eventually pick a set up.

M4arc
05-11-10, 13:51
If you think there's a remote chance you could end up using your M&P to defend your life or those of your loved ones then I say you do need a set of CT grips.

Like JW_777 stated they are fantastic for low light (and even no light) situations. They won't identify a target so keep your X300 but for putting rounds on target in diminished light they are the cat's ass.

At the Hackathorn class I shot better once the sun went down than I did during the day.

And if you own an M&P you own the best platform for the CT grips. Put them on and leave them on. They're the perfect combination. I have the new LG-417s on my G19 and while they're "okay" they don't hold a candle to the M&P/LG-660 setup.

mwt1980
05-11-10, 18:24
Sweet...Thanks for the feedback... A set is in my very near future.

Magic_Salad0892
05-12-10, 04:06
I think the LG-417 is actually my favorite laser for a pistol, ever made.

It's great for me.

I can put rounds into a pretty reasonable group at 100m in low light conditions with mine, and my Glock 17.

I wish I had a goddamn camera so I could post the results.

CTC Grip > Camera.

stony275
05-12-10, 04:41
If you intend to use your M&P as a self defense pistol, then I would put CT's in the "must have" category.

As referenced by other posters here, those of us who have shot in training classes involving low-no light shooting validated to ourselves the utility of a laser on a pistol.

I purchased a set of CT's for my limited edition M&P 9 prior to it's arrival. That's how important I consider them.

VolGrad
05-12-10, 09:50
I've had CT grips on a couple of different pistols. They are "nice to have" but IMO not "must have". However, I would prefer CT over a light hanging off my pistols. Yes, I know they serve completely different purposes. As a civilian/citizen I just work better with a hand held light vs a mounted one. CT grips make sense at home, in the dark, when I am groggy, and my eyes still blurry from sleeping in my contacts.