PDA

View Full Version : Look what turned up in a buy back...

Buck
05-11-10, 03:54

If it could talk, we might not want to know what story a .45-caliber handgun stolen nearly 40 years ago has to tell. At least one of those stories would involve an L.A. gang and the Los Angeles Police Department. This morning, a Remington .45-pistol stolen from Dr.Warren Schafer's Clackamas-area home was returned to the 90-year-old retired dentist and Medical Teams International volunteer. "Well, I kind of wish it could talk,'' Schafer said.

The .45 caliber handgun.The handgun was one of 11 firearms stolen from Schafer's home on Oct. 27, 1970, along with other items valued at around $3,000. Schafer said it was the second time the guns had been stolen. One of eight rifles stolen that day ( a .303 Enfield) was returned about 10 years ago (recovered in Las Vegas, perhaps a story that will stay in Vegas), but the remaining seven rifles and two shotguns are still out there somewhere. Each year, Schafer receives a letter from law enforcement asking him if he wants to keep the stolen guns' serial numbers on a list of stolen guns. "I tell them, "Hell yes!' -- it doesn't cost me a thing, and see, it works,'' he said. Lt. Gregg Hastings, spokesman for the Oregon State Police, said his agency heard from LAPD detectives on April 12 that one of their gang detectives had recovered the .45-caliber pistol.

"Well, I guess that's it,'' Schafer told Oregon State Police officials who turned over the pistol to Schafer this morning. "The serial numbers match, so it must be mine." Known as the M1911A1, it served as the U.S. military's official sidearm for about 80 years. "This is basically the same gun, but a little fancier,'' Schafer said. "It's a much nicer gun to look at."

rrpederson
05-11-10, 04:07
that is really something. same thing happened to my dad a few years ago. he had a gun stolen out of his truck in a burglary of a motor vehicle in san diego. it was recovered somewhere in southern california and he was able to pick it up here in tx. thank god for ncic.

mnagant762
05-11-10, 04:13
Good to hear it, a buddy of mine in Maryland had a bunch of his guns stolen years ago and the police found them all. They returned the rifles but told him they had to destroy the pistols, he got a lawyer but never got his pistols back.

Cobra66
05-11-10, 09:27
I usually oppose buybacks, but to pervert the Brady Mantra -

If a gun buyback can help remove just one fine historical firearm from the hands of a turd and return it to its rightful owner, then it was worth it. ;)

bobvila
05-11-10, 09:46
Each year, Schafer receives a letter from law enforcement asking him if he wants to keep the stolen guns' serial numbers on a list of stolen guns.

Why would they remove the serial numbers from the list if they have not been recovered?

Abraxas
05-11-10, 10:37
That is cool. Glad he got his gun back.

GermanSynergy
05-11-10, 17:24
That's awesome. It's a small world!

OregonXD
05-11-10, 22:10
Why would they remove the serial numbers from the list if they have not been recovered?

It's a quality control issue. They need to verify the information on an annual basis. It is required by the FBI as part of the computer records system. Additionally, it allows the police to stay in contact with the victim in the event the weapons are recovered. At times, stolen property may be recovered by the victim or third party and the police are not aware.... and the good news...If your insurance paid a claim for the loss, the property belongs to them (common with vehicles).

:D

bkb0000
05-11-10, 22:14
my mother has had two stolen pistols returned to her.. one was gone for about 10 years, the other returned after less than a year. it definitely happens.

SteyrAUG
05-12-10, 00:03
Good to see.

I always thought the guns were automatically destroyed.

TOrrock
05-12-10, 06:49
Sometimes things work out.

Glad the he got his 1911 back, cool story.

markdh720
05-12-10, 12:23
It seems like most stolen guns are found out of state. Especially here in IL.

I'm a young guy still in my twenties, so I'm not familiar with the time-frame. What was common practice for securing firearms around 1970? That was the second time the 11 guns had been stolen from his house. If they weren't secured, then he deserved a slap upside the back of his head in 1970.

Maybe this just caught my attention since I'm shopping for a safe.

Caeser25
05-12-10, 12:47
Good to see.

I always thought the guns were automatically destroyed.

So did I. Especially in the people's republic.