PDA

View Full Version : Need help in selecting an AR

Black Jack
05-11-10, 12:29
I am beginning my search for an AR type rifle.

This will be my “go-to”, or if you will, my SHTF rifle, I will also be using this for training and “plinking”. I have settled on the following requirements. Unfortunately it has been so long since I have handled this type of rifle (mid ‘80’s) so I do not really know what is or not a good brand.

1. Gas Piston system
2. 5.56 mm
3. reliable / durable
4. accurate (<2 MOA)
5. light weight (< 8 lbs)
6. ability to have both optics and iron sights
7. Cost (I do not have much more that $1k to spend)

I am not looking for something to turn into a “gadget magnet”. I expect it to be a fairly basic rifle with not much more than a sling, optics, iron sights, and MAYBE a light attached. I believe in the KISS theory and am not interested in adding a lot of accessories that will just add weight and headaches.

The systems that I am aware of, but not familiar with, are:

LWRC M6
Stag Model 8
Ruger 5.56
S&W M&P 15 PS
SIG 5.56

Are there any others that are worth looking at?

Since I do not have any way of really testing these different platforms, I was hoping that y’all could give me some insight on what is good and what is bad out there.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

SpookyPistolero
05-11-10, 13:33
I'm not nearly the expert that most here are, but I believe your requirement to have a piston will change the playing field dramatically, especially as far as price goes. Otherwise I'd have suggested getting one of the Spike's M4's they have available right now under $800. Another hundred gets you a Surefire G2LED w/ vtac mount, and you're set.

Just_Plain_T.
05-11-10, 13:38
Honestly, the piston system is overrated.

DI works just fine in a quality rifle.

Most piston ARs will run you beyond your budget (does that budget also include magazines, or not including magazines?)

devildogljb
05-11-10, 14:41
why piston? I think they are over rated i would stick with a DI. And the person above me is right you will run over your budget. And later down the road if you really do want a piston just convert it. You can buy conversion kits for 3 to 4 hundred dollars. As for brand for the money you want to spend look into the Smith & Wesson's MP 15 rifles. I bought a standard M4 and do what you would like. But just my opinion of course hope you find what you want.

graffex
05-11-10, 15:50
Piston's offer no benefit unless your running a suppressed SBR. Get a BCM and drive on.

GermanSynergy
05-11-10, 18:45
Get a Colt 6920, DD or BCM carbine and call it a day. :cool:

vicious_cb
05-11-10, 18:55
First AR? Stick with DI. Much more simple and user friendly than a piston.

RogerinTPA
05-11-10, 19:59
Read all of the "stickies" in the AR technical forum.

A piston is a fix for a nonexistent problem with the DI system. Unless shooting a lot of Full Auto and or suppressed, a piston is not needed.

The most common reason why folks choose a piston AR? So they don't have to clean it as much.:rolleyes:

shadow65
05-11-10, 20:17
I agree. Unless you are running FA or suppressed, a piston is not worth it to me. I would go with Colt or BCM.