PDA

View Full Version : G19 vs G17

Omega Man
05-11-10, 15:36
Hi gents,
Im about to get my 1st Glock, and i cant decide between the G17 & 19. I want the pistol that will carry well, but also have low recoil. Ive noticed with other pistol's, that mid size tend to be more snappy than full size guns. Specifically with the Sig 226, compared to the 229 in 9mm. Is this the case with the G17 compared to the G19?

C4IGrant
05-11-10, 15:43
Hi gents,
Im about to get my 1st Glock, and i cant decide between the G17 & 19. I want the pistol that will carry well, but also have low recoil. Ive noticed with other pistol's, that mid size tend to be more snappy than full size guns. Specifically with the Sig 226, compared to the 229 in 9mm. Is this the case with the G17 compared to the G19?

The G19 is the "thinking man's Glock."

Not only is it a great CCW gun, but also long enough for any pistol class you might want to attend.

C4

Omega Man
05-11-10, 15:51
Im assuming the G19 is more comfortable when carrying appendix IWB and driving.

JHC
05-11-10, 15:59
Im assuming the G19 is more comfortable when carrying appendix IWB and driving.

You would assume correctly in my experience at doing just that for many many hours for a good number of years.

I've been deep into Glocks for a long time and have spent a lot of time with 17's and 19's. If CCW is in the mix, G19 without a doubt is numero uno. The 17 is manageable for daily carry, the 19 is easy.

Shootability - they aren't that far apart.

SWATcop556
05-11-10, 16:03
I carry a G19 daily and carry a G17 for uniformed duties. Both are excellent guns and would srve you well. The G19 is better suited for CCW yet the G17 is not impossible with the correct gear and cover garment. I can say that I would not want to carry a G17 in an appendix holster but that's just me.

Joeywhat
05-11-10, 16:12
For appendix carry I'd probably want a G19...

But otherwise I go for the 17. Actually, I can't leave well enough alone, so I cut the grip on my 17 down to that of a 19.

Another reason I liked the 17 was the trigger...it doesn't have the serrated 'target' trigger. For whatever reason the target triggers eat up my finger.

Detmongo
05-11-10, 16:13
if your gonna ccw then go for the 19.

Omega Man
05-11-10, 16:20
What about the recoil difference? Any input would be great.

Palmguy
05-11-10, 16:23
Insignificant, particularly when compared to the size delta between the two.

LOKNLOD
05-11-10, 17:02
I love the G17 (and even more so my G34, which of course shares the same frame). But beyond the emotional attachment, I find the more time I spend with a G19 the more I think it shoot it better, easier. And its easier to conceal. It's just a great little bundle of shootability. If I was only going to have 1 Glock, I'd keep a 19.

Heavy Metal
05-11-10, 17:12
After shooting 20K rounds thru the G-19 platform over the last two years, I got a G-17 the other day.

I shoot the G-17 a bit better and it is a bit faster back on target.

The 17 seems to fit my large hands a bit better.

That said, I carry the 19 concealed.

Robb Jensen
05-12-10, 05:29
Hi gents,

As others have said both are the 17 and 19 are great handguns.

I carry both. I have 2 Glock 17s (one Gen 1 and one Gen 2) I'm getting a Glock 17 Gen 4 very soon.

I may even have my Glock 17 Gen 2 modified so that it's grip is the same length as a Glock 19 for carry and uses Glock 19 magazines. To make it a little more concealable. The 19s do recoil a tiny bit more than 17s but it's not really that much more.

Moose-Knuckle
05-12-10, 07:11
Get both...my G19 is my CCW and my G17 is my bump in the night gun.

Magic_Salad0892
05-12-10, 07:33
The Glock 17 is the best pistol ever developed. In my humble honest opinion.

Cue: ''That's why I carry a Beretta!'' ;)

xray 99
05-12-10, 07:40
I carried a G19 for over a decade. Now, I prefer the full-size grip of the 17 and find it easy to conceal with good leather. Weight difference between the two is insignificant. I agree the G19 is a fine choice.

John_Wayne777
05-12-10, 07:48
Personally I prefer the shooting characteristics of the G17 to those of the G19, but the concealment characteristics of the G19 over the G17 in most situations. If I spent the majority of my time carrying a pistol in some sort of armed profession that didn't require concealment, a G17 would be my choice. If concealing the weapon day in and day out is a requirement, the G19 is the more logical choice.

It's difficult to go wrong with either handgun, though. Most usually wind up with both in their battery of pistols.

johnson
05-12-10, 10:26
The G17 has softer felt recoil and feels smaller in my hands but I bought a G19 because of the compact size (grip and slide length). My hands arent that big so when I hold a G17, my palms are on top of the hump so it feels smaller than the G19 grip.

Whatever you get, buy the Vickers extended magazine release.

Also, you can swap out the G19 target trigger with the G17 smooth faced trigger if you wish.

Littlelebowski
05-12-10, 10:28
The correct answer is "Yes."

VolGrad
05-12-10, 10:32
I don't notice a difference in the felt recoil between the two models but shoot the G19 much better due to the grip size and balance. That's just me.

Robb Jensen
05-12-10, 10:36
The correct answer is "Yes."

That's awesome B. ;)

Fire_Medic
05-12-10, 10:52
I would say both as well, but whichever fits your hands better. I love the size of the G19 for CCW but the damn finger grooves don't line up good with my hands, and then my fingers are bunched up under the trigger guard. The fix for this is a trip for the G19 frame to GentleBen of course.

If you're going to appendix carry yes the G19, if not then a G17 is no harder to hide than a G19 with a good leather holster (VM2) or a Comptac MTAC.

In the end you'll en up with both anyways, so if you're going to be carrying get the G19 first. :D

JohnN
05-12-10, 12:11
I am carrying a G19 in a G17 Shaggy AIWB and feel the additional length is helpful in keeping the butt tucked into the body.

VolGrad
05-12-10, 12:27
I am carrying a G19 in a G17 Shaggy AIWB and feel the additional length is helpful in keeping the butt tucked into the body.

That's a good point. I have a short torso and still find that short pistols carried AIWB feel like they are going to "flip out" even when I know the holster is secure/stable. There is a balance somewhere between the pistol being too long (and pushing on the nerve) and too short (feeling unstable). I am still searching for that line.

Hot Sauce
05-12-10, 13:32
Who's better, Molly Sims or Heidi Klum? They're both leggy blonde supermodels with minor differences. It's all personal preference. Catch my drift? ;)

Alex V
05-12-10, 13:48
I was just about to post this very same question! lol

I am in the market to buy a new pistol since she has a hard time controling my Beretta 90-Two. She loves shooting with me but gets discouraged when she cant hit the paper with my Beretta because after X rounds her arms are too tired lol. Upper body strength, she has non.

This past weekend my GF and I went to the range with friends. They rented pistols. I was looking for a M&P9 or Glock 19/17. Legally I have to say I am buying it, but she will be using it most at the range lol. Anyway, she did not like the grip of the M&P9, I liked it a lot, but my hand is much bigger than hers. They did not have the Glock 17, but they did have the 19. Rented it, she shot 50 rounds with it, LOVED IT!

Now I have about 6 days left on my pistol purchase permit and based on her likes and this thread looks like I will be getting a Glock 19 this weekend :D

Thanks again M4C

TheSmiter1
05-12-10, 14:31
I was just about to post this very same question! lol

I am in the market to buy a new pistol since she has a hard time controling my Beretta 90-Two. She loves shooting with me but gets discouraged when she cant hit the paper with my Beretta because after X rounds her arms are too tired lol. Upper body strength, she has non.

This past weekend my GF and I went to the range with friends. They rented pistols. I was looking for a M&P9 or Glock 19/17. Legally I have to say I am buying it, but she will be using it most at the range lol. Anyway, she did not like the grip of the M&P9, I liked it a lot, but my hand is much bigger than hers. They did not have the Glock 17, but they did have the 19. Rented it, she shot 50 rounds with it, LOVED IT!

Now I have about 6 days left on my pistol purchase permit and based on her likes and this thread looks like I will be getting a Glock 19 this weekend :D

Thanks again M4C

What grip insert was being used with the M-P for her not to like it? I'm guessing it was medium or large. One should try all of them. If she did try all of them, then I'm just confused, as I felt my old M&P had a much smaller grip with the small insert than my Glock 19 grip.:confused:

Noodle
05-12-10, 14:50
I have not shot the 17 but find the 19 to be a great pistol. My bump in the night gun!

M4arc
05-12-10, 15:01
I'm a big fan of the G19 mostly because it's a nice balance between concealability and shootability. I was able to carry concealed to the Ken Hackathorn class a few weeks ago, shoot the class and carry home with one gun, the same set of mags and the same holsters. Easy...I like easy :D

That said I love the G17 too. It's just not easy for me to carry because of my smaller size. According to the guys that know the G17 sets the standards for 9mm handgun reliability with the G19 being slightly less reliable. So, you do give up a smig of reliability. I've had very few problems with my primary G19 over the years and they were all ammo and magazine related but I still believe that the G19 is a tad less reliable than the G17.

But if Mama told me that I had to sell all my guns tomorrow and that I could keep only one my primary G19 would be the only gun I would keep.

Omega Man
05-12-10, 16:52
I guess im going to rent both to really know which one to get. The G19 grip actually feels a bit better in my right hand than the G17. It just locks in real tight. I have been tempted to get the gen4 G17 but i didnt like the heavier trigger pull. I appreciate all the replys. Thanks guys.

Littlelebowski
05-12-10, 16:53
I guess im going to rent both to really know which one to get. The G19 grip actually feels a bit better in my right hand than the G17. It just locks in real tight. I have been tempted to get the gen4 G17 but i didnt like the heavier trigger pull. I appreciate all the replys. Thanks guys.

The trigger pull can be easily fixed for under $10 and in less than 3 minutes with Glock factory parts. Think carefully about your purchase.

Omega Man
05-12-10, 17:16
The trigger pull can be easily fixed for under $10 and in less than 3 minutes with Glock factory parts. Think carefully about your purchase.

Can a mechanically challenged person handle the installation of said parts?

Fire_Medic
05-12-10, 17:20
Can a mechanically challenged person handle the installation of said parts?

Yes. Please take the time to watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No4SA6v6xjE

If you don't feel comfortable then don't toy with it, but a standard factory (-) connector takes all of 2 minutes to swap out.
:)

P2000
05-12-10, 18:28
I would go with the G19. I own a 17L and a 19. The recoil difference is slight at best. I actually couldn't tell you which one I shoot better. As far as CCW, I would personally not want anything larger than the 19. I'm actually wanting a 26...

BrianS
05-12-10, 18:45
Is there something with the gen4 Glocks that makes the trigger pull heavier than the gen3s? Comparing a G19 trigger to a G17 trigger pull should be the same unless it was within the small range of gun to gun variation.

For me I think the G19 is just about the perfect gun. Big enough that you can shoot it accurately and manipulate it well, small enough to easily conceal.

It would be perfect with a slightly extended beavertail like the M&P and the ability to have an ambidextrous slide release.

Omega Man
05-12-10, 18:58
What parts should i get to achieve a lighter, smoother pull, but with a crisp break?

Fire_Medic
05-12-10, 19:06
What parts should i get to achieve a lighter, smoother pull, but with a crisp break?

This will open a whole can of worms as the "feel" of a trigger is a highly opinionated subject with everyone of course having different opinions.

The best advice I can give you is learn to master the factory trigger in the mean time and try to find guys with the triggers you're considering installed that you can shoot.

Also try searching this subject.

Me myself, I'm a big fan of the ghost rocket 3.5 with factory springs, and a $0.25 trigger job, a good friend, and member on here taught me how to do this (;))

But as of late I have actually started to appreciate the crisp reset of the factory configuration .

I know it's not much help, but this is just one of those things like sights, there's a ton of product out there, and each one has it's fan boys, the trigger will be just as personal a decision as the firearm itself. The same thing doesn't jive with everyone.

Omega Man
05-12-10, 19:08
True. Trigger feel is a very personal thing. I do want a lighter pull than the gen4 G17 has. That much i know.

Curare
05-12-10, 19:12
While not my favorite for IWB carry given its width, my G19 disappears under a polo or tee with my VM2 at 3:30. I wear slim cut polos and the G17 grip prints on me, G19 does not.

Personally I want to standardize on one pistol for HD/CCW/competition.

Arclight
05-12-10, 19:35
You can't go wrong with either, but the difference will come down to what you plan to use it for.

If...
1) ...You are going to use it for the range, competitions, class, home defense and/or open (or cold weather) carry, the G17 is probably the better choice.

2) ...You are going to do any/all of the above, but will/may want to concealed carry, get the G19.

I have a G19... I shoot matches with it, take classes with it, both with good results. But unlike my larger Glock, I can also carry it concealed without extreme measures.

SSMOKE
05-12-10, 20:55
Because they are so popular, I wanted and ordered Gen 3 G19. Then I held a Gen 4 G17 and cancelled my order. For me the Gen 4 with no backstrap feels waaaaaay better than the Gen 3 G19. For me.

I have handeled all three and shot two. (M&P9 and Gen 4 G17) My wife likes her M&P9 and so do I. I just like the Gen 4 better/best. DEFINITELY try the different back straps.

I did change the connector to a 3.5# ghost .($15 and two minutes)

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-12-10, 21:19
I think M4arc has it right. The G19 is really a better "all-around" gun. It is pretty small, but it holds as many rounds as most combat autoloaders. The G17 is, certainly in my experience, a more reliable handgun, but the butt of the gun is a lot harder to conceal (at least for me).

Again, as M4arc says, if you could only have one handgun, the G19 is probably the best choice.

Omega Man
05-12-10, 21:27
Reliability is the most important consideration, since i want this pistol for personal defense. Man, this choice is not getting easier.

K.L. Davis
05-12-10, 21:32
I may even have my Glock 17 Gen 2 modified so that it's grip is the same length as a Glock 19 for carry and uses Glock 19 magazines.
To further complicate the matter... my 19 has the grip extended to take 17 mags.

Beat Trash
05-12-10, 23:26
Reliability is the most important consideration, since i want this pistol for personal defense. Man, this choice is not getting easier.

The best thing you could do is to shot both guns, then get the one that's best for you. For me, The Glock 19 feels as if it's a part of me when I draw and fire. My Glock 17 is a tad bit more controllable, but I had to shoot both of them, one after another to really notice. But my Glock 19 works better for me when shooting tactical courses. It just fits my hand better.

My personal experience is such that I have not found a difference in reliability between the Glock 17 and the Glock 19.

Omega Man
05-13-10, 00:30
The best thing you could do is to shot both guns, then get the one that's best for you. For me, The Glock 19 feels as if it's a part of me when I draw and fire. My Glock 17 is a tad bit more controllable, but I had to shoot both of them, one after another to really notice. But my Glock 19 works better for me when shooting tactical courses. It just fits my hand better.

My personal experience is such that I have not found a difference in reliability between the Glock 17 and the Glock 19.

I do find the G19 grip locks in tighter than the G17. There is a slight difference in the grip shape that creates this effect for me. Your right about trying both. I will go to the range tommorow and rent both to settle it. Thanks.

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-13-10, 02:07
Definitely the G19 if I could only have one. Actually if I could only own 1 pistol, the G19 would be it. There is nothing that you can do with a G17 that you can't do with a G19, sure the G17 shoots a tad softer and has a slightly longer sight radius so there is an advantage in competition, but you can be extremely fast and accurate with the G19, and it is significantly easier to carry (a little goes a long way when it comes to ccw). When I was just starting out in USPSA and IDPA I shot my G19 and it worked fine, when I started gaming more I moved to a G34.

You will probably end up with more than 1 Glock, it really is a fantastic platform. I prefer stock triggers for CCW, though for the G19 I do swap the trigger grooved assembly to a smooth G17 one, but the weight/pull/feel is the same. If you want a fantastic and light trigger consider vanek trigger assemblies, I've been very happy with his GM trigger kit in my G34, but you're going to be dropping some $$$.

I put my full weight behind the G19, but either way you're going to be getting a very reliable, practical and shootable pistol.

GU

Omega Man
05-13-10, 21:02
I rented a G19 today and i loved it. It is a great little shooting instrument. I will be getting one as soon as possible and adding it to my CCW. Good stuff!

graffex
05-13-10, 23:57
Can't go wrong with either... 19 is a little easier to conceal but I have no problem concealing my 17 and I'm 5' 9" 175

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e241/rmdugan84/IMG00005-20090707-1349.jpg

jerry7784
05-14-10, 06:11
Hi all I'm new to this forum and I this is going to be my first post! First I want to say, that I looked through the Glock picture thread and then read this, I would like to say that i hate you guys!!!:D I went online to a local gunstore in WA. and ordered a Glock 19 OD Green with trijicon night sights! LoL, I'm really excited to get it and can't wait to try this out, it'll be my first glock ever!!! JK about hating you guys!! take care out there!

awm14hp
05-14-10, 13:23
get both you will need both at some point I just keep telling myself that with all my guns :eek:

xray 99
05-14-10, 14:10
I carried a G19 for over a decade. Now, I prefer the full-size grip of the 17 and find it easy to conceal with good leather. Weight difference between the two is insignificant. I agree the G19 is a fine choice.

I took my G19 out to the range yesterday and need to modify my earlier comment. I can shoot just as well with either.

VooDoo6Actual
05-14-10, 14:16
G19 would be my first choice.

Omega Man
05-14-10, 14:17
get both you will need both at some point I just keep telling myself that with all my guns :eek:

I agree, both is always good.:D

Spurholder
05-14-10, 14:51
Buy both, but buy the G19 first. I've got both - they're awesome.

Omega Man
05-14-10, 15:30
Buy both, but buy the G19 first. I've got both - they're awesome.

This is the plan.