PDA

View Full Version : NEW Plate Dimension Question

Sparky5019
05-11-10, 15:41
Where can I find the dimensional and curvature specs on SAPI ceramic plates?

I am looking to have a set replicated in a non-ballistic material to add "body" or stiffness to the vest platform. I do not need to carry 8-10# extra for competition. Obviously I would want to run the plates in SHTF or other combat scenario.

Also, how should I figure what size of plates to buy when I do buy BALCS plates?

Thanks,

Sparky

JohnnyC
05-11-10, 23:05
Do you already have a set of plates? If so, and you'd have to see if it would compromise the ballistic rating, you could lay some kydex on both sides of the plate and put some filler in between after the kydex takes shape. Foam of the proper thickness maybe?

calicojack
05-12-10, 07:52

jsebens
05-12-10, 08:27
Where can I find the dimensional and curvature specs on SAPI ceramic plates?

I am looking to have a set replicated in a non-ballistic material to add "body" or stiffness to the vest platform. I do not need to carry 8-10# extra for competition. Obviously I would want to run the plates in SHTF or other combat scenario.

Also, how should I figure what size of plates to buy when I do buy BALCS plates?

Thanks,

Sparky

Rough dimensions are available on Wikipedia (height by length). There's some variance in thickness (I have two, one is nearly twice as thick as the other due to some honeycomb padding).

BALCS is a cut of soft armor; totally irrelevant to plates. Buy the plates for your size; I'm 5'10, 190, and I wear medium plates because a large prohibits me from driving my arms forward to run a handgun properly (plate's too wide at the top).

If you're going to wear plates when the world ends, wear them in competition. Any shooting game you go to between now and then isn't really competition; it's training time for the real competition (when you put those plates on to save your life). Build your endurance now, when you can afford to get exhausted.

Sparky5019
05-12-10, 11:54
Great! Thanks, guys!

I'll up it and ask what is the best place/price to find ceramic operator cut hard plates...for a civilian to buy!

Thanks,

Sparky

Sparky5019
05-12-10, 12:06
Rough dimensions are available on Wikipedia (height by length). There's some variance in thickness (I have two, one is nearly twice as thick as the other due to some honeycomb padding).

BALCS is a cut of soft armor; totally irrelevant to plates. Buy the plates for your size; I'm 5'10, 190, and I wear medium plates because a large prohibits me from driving my arms forward to run a handgun properly (plate's too wide at the top).

If you're going to wear plates when the world ends, wear them in competition. Any shooting game you go to between now and then isn't really competition; it's training time for the real competition (when you put those plates on to save your life). Build your endurance now, when you can afford to get exhausted.

True...that is a consideration for SHTF! I really appreciate your info on size and dimension.

Thanks,

Sparky

jsebens
05-12-10, 12:14
I don't know what the laws are in NC; I can tell you that Diamondback Tactical and ATS have always done me right.

Sparky5019
05-12-10, 12:45
Thanks...have been searching for the "airsoft fakes" and can't find any (for the lightweight application above). If I can find anything already made it would be cheaper than having them made! If anyone knows, please PM or post.

Thanks,

Sparky

VMI-MO
05-12-10, 15:40
So you are looking to add plates for the "poofyness" during comps, to add realism to your setup?

But you do not want the increased weight?

That does not compute with me.

I say train with the weight. It will only make you stronger in the end.

Some buddies and I got fake plates, cut them open and filled them with sand in order to make them the same weight as actual issue plates. We used these for work outs, to runs, to certian shooting applications. The ones we made cost 8$ instead hundreds.

PJ

Iraq Ninja
05-12-10, 16:10
Thanks...have been searching for the "airsoft fakes" and can't find any (for the lightweight application above). If I can find anything already made it would be cheaper than having them made! If anyone knows, please PM or post.

Thanks,

Sparky

Google airsoft sapi plate

What kind of competition are you wanting to do? 3 gun?

Sparky5019
05-12-10, 18:15
I.N.,

Thanks; that's what I Googled and found some. I can't find any info on composition or anything but for $18/pair I can fill them with foam resin if they are hollow! As far as competition, I have done some informal 3-Gun. There is a local guy who is putting on a CQB style 3-Gun match that is a lot of fun and most people are running a vest (of some type). Baseline interest in the MAR-CIRAS is that I have seen a few and always wanted one...I will p/u some level III/IV plates for it at some point as well.

PJ,

"poofyness" is not really what I am after. Without plates the CIRAS vest seem a little deflated. The "fake" plates are to give an underlying skeleton for some support without the extra weight. I AM buying real plates also but prefer not to carry the extra 8-10# just for competition and fun shooting. Just like my "idea" does not compute for you, I see no value in adding fake plates and weighting them to feel like real...why not just buy a set of real plates. Here...to each his own. Thanks for the opinion!

Sparky

Sparky5019
05-12-10, 19:10
OK, picked up some Pantac airsoft SAPI plates. That should provide the skeleton and rigidity that I am looking for. I will browse around and find some real plates also!

Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

Sparky