PDA

View Full Version : Should I just go ahead and put a D ring on all my AR15 extractors?

500grains
05-11-10, 17:59
Any downside?

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_741015003_1.jpg

Or maybe an O ring?

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_071000043_1.jpg

Jay Cunningham
05-11-10, 18:27
If your AR is a carbine gas system then it's probably a good idea, but not 100% necessary. If your AR is 14.5" or less and a CAR gas system then I'd say yes.

Otherwise it's not really needed.

GaryXD
05-11-10, 18:48
It is possible to have too much extractor tension. I experienced this when I put the O-ring in my 16" mid-length. The once 100% reliable gun turned into a jam-o-matic. The extractor would hold on to the empty case and wouldn't let it eject. When I removed the O-ring it went back to being reliable.

Now my only rifle that has an O-ring is my 14.5" carbine.

Robb Jensen
05-11-10, 18:50
I only use O-rings or D-fender extractor enhancers on CAR length gas ARs. Everything else doesn't need them.

500grains
05-11-10, 19:24
Good info, thank you.

Jay Cunningham
05-11-10, 19:28
One addendum:

If you plan on shooting a lot of steel case ammo it would probably be useful as well.

downbad
05-11-10, 22:58
Where can I get that size o-ring? My 14.5 carbine doesn't have one.

500grains
05-11-10, 23:49
Brownells sells both of the ones pictured above.

koji
05-12-10, 00:20
Interesting stuff. I bought a BCM middy off of a shooting buddy a few months back and the extractor had an o-ring on it. Not sure if it came like that or if he put it on there himself. I've put 600-ish rounds through it my last couple range trips and haven't had any hiccups yet.

If it's been a non-issue so far should I just leave it or pull it off? I should mention that after my G19 this would be my go-to weapon (or at least I'd like it to be my go-to weapon). If the o-ring is a potential reliability issue in a mid-length I'll yank it off right now.

rrpederson
05-12-10, 00:30
man, dont get it, none of the rifles i have ever been issued, shot or owned have never needed such a thing. are u having an issue with extracting?

Jay Cunningham
05-12-10, 00:39
Interesting stuff. I bought a BCM middy off of a shooting buddy a few months back and the extractor had an o-ring on it. Not sure if it came like that or if he put it on there himself. I've put 600-ish rounds through it my last couple range trips and haven't had any hiccups yet.

If it's been a non-issue so far should I just leave it or pull it off? I should mention that after my G19 this would be my go-to weapon (or at least I'd like it to be my go-to weapon). If the o-ring is a potential reliability issue in a mid-length I'll yank it off right now.

If it is running fine for you, leave it on I suppose. Your middy shouldn't need one, though.

Jay Cunningham
05-12-10, 00:39
man, dont get it, none of the rifles i have ever been issued, shot or owned have never needed such a thing. are u having an issue with extracting?

Can you tell us where, when, and why they were introduced in the first place?

madkow
05-12-10, 20:08
One addendum:

If you plan on shooting a lot of steel case ammo it would probably be useful as well.

Can you elaborate as to why? Steel is more prone to sticking in the chamber maybe?

Also, downbad, I don't use those orings and I think I have 2 left over from the last BCM servicing I did. I would send them snail to you if you want.

Jay Cunningham
05-12-10, 20:13
Steel cases don't undergo plastic deformation to the extent that brass cases do, thereby allowing a bit more blowback past the case, ultimately plating out on the chamber walls. This can lead to some sticky cases.

madkow
05-12-10, 20:27
Learning has occurred.

Thank you sir.