PDA

View Full Version : Best handgun safe for bedside duty?

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-11-10, 22:28
Hey guys,

My little girl is now 11 months and starting to get around. I keep all my firearms in a safe--except my bedside handgun. I want to go ahead and get a good pistol safe that can be accessed quickly in an emergency.

Anyone have any advice? Anything to avoid?

bkb0000
05-11-10, 22:30
http://www.gunvault.com/

i've got one of the mediumish sized models.. i've got a real simple, but not easily guessable code, and can have a condition 1 pistol in 3 seconds without exerting myself nor getting out of bed

3CTactical
05-11-10, 23:42
I use a V-Line model as I got tired of batteries and electronics going tits up and wondering if it was going to work when I might need to get in the safe the most. I don't remember what brand of electronic safe I had previous to the V-Line, and it worked fine at first, but after a few years it started acting weird and the batteries would die just a few weeks after replacing them. The V-Line sure ain't going to stop a determined individual (i.e. a thief) from getting in, but I feel great about the isolation it provides between my kids (ages 8, 5, and 1.5) and my nightstand handgun.

I liked my night stand version so much, I bought thier in-wall mounted long gun safe to keep my wife's Noveske a bit more readily accessible.

Jay Cunningham
05-11-10, 23:43
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Powder_Burn
05-11-10, 23:43
I bought two GunVault Microvault's direct from their factory website on the same order and both failed. The first had a keypad failure in the first hour, the other had a faulty latch mechanism straight from the factory. Customer service is tip-top but I lost confidence in the product after having TWO fail immediately.

My experience is that nearly all pistol vaults are bottom of the barrel sub-contracted Chinese junk. Perhaps something with a mechanical Simplex lock like the Fort Knox Pistol Box would be more acceptable for your needs. Also, check out the Smith & Wesson branded line from Truck Vault. I also bought the compact V-line and the quality was reasonable but it did not work within the dimensions of my narrow and compact nightstand. Unfortunately the pickings seem slim if you are quality oriented.

Lucky Strike
05-11-10, 23:48
I've got a gunvault....not sure how durable it is as I've only owned it for a year now but so far so good. No way it'd keep someone from stealing the gun as it's not bolted down or anything (just sits under the bed), it's mostly just to keep little kids from getting their hands on the gun.

bkb0000
05-11-10, 23:48
I bought two GunVault Microvault's direct from their factory website on the same order and both failed. The first had a keypad failure in the first hour, the other had a faulty latch mechanism straight from the factory. Customer service is tip-top but I lost confidence in the product after having TWO fail immediately.

My experience is that nearly all pistol vaults are bottom of the barrel sub-contracted Chinese junk. Perhaps something with a mechanical Simplex lock like the Fort Knox Pistol Box would be more acceptable for your needs. Also, check out the Smith & Wesson branded line from Truck Vault. I also bought the compact V-line and the quality was reasonable but it would not work within the dimensions of my nightstand. Unfortunately the pickings seem slim if you are quality oriented.

i only have experience with my one, but it's been perfectly functional for over 3 years with only 1 or 2 battery changes

lethal dose
05-11-10, 23:49
does she sleep in your room? if not, keep the firearm out at night with your bedroom door locked and lock the weapon in the safe the minute you awake.

3CTactical
05-11-10, 23:52
Those Fort Knox boxes look pretty stout. They appear to use the same kind of Simplex lock as the V-Line models.

3CTactical
05-11-10, 23:55
does she sleep in your room? if not, keep the firearm out at night with your bedroom door locked and lock the weapon in the safe the minute you awake.

I don't know about your situation, but I would not feel comfortable keeping my bedroom door locked with my children in another room (unless it's me and the misses' special time :D) as I could not be as easily alerted to bumps in the night or hearing my children calling or screaming for me if something was going down.

lethal dose
05-11-10, 23:59
I don't know about your situation, but I would not feel comfortable keeping my bedroom door locked with my children in another room (unless it's me and the misses' special time :D) as I could not be as easily alerted to bumps in the night or hearing my children calling or screaming for me if something was going down.

how about a baby monitor? just a thought. your statement probably does have some validation, though. personally, i don't have kids. if i did... my dogs make a TON of noise... and they hear everything. hard to say... got me thinkin'.

MookNW
05-12-10, 01:03
Don't some of these gun vaults come with a keypad that doesn't beep when you press the buttons. This would keep things more stealth, no?

Mark71
05-12-10, 01:24
Take a look at the Stack on Safe security boxes/cabinets.

http://stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_cabinets_and_pistol_boxes/index.html

uwe1
05-12-10, 02:35
I have two Gun Vault MiniVault Deluxes for about 18 months now. You should get the model with the battery and plug in option. Both of mine have been 100% functional out of the box. I believe having the plug in is critical because if the power goes out, the battery will kick in and vice versa. I also keep a key very well hidden nearby just in case (you can easily tape the handle securely to the underside of a drawer).

There is also a fingerprint scan model available, but I've never tried it.

One resides under the bed and the other is near where we watch TV.

kalikraven
05-12-10, 02:58
For a little bit of extra safty get a HK P7.

ChicagoTex
05-12-10, 06:56
For a little bit of extra safty get a HK P7.

Mark my words, a curious child will NOT be defeated by the grip-cocking mechanism of an HK P7.

They'll find a way... they ALWAYS find a way...

markman
05-12-10, 07:09
Look at the "FAS1 Quick Access Pistol Safe". I've had mine about 9 months now, and can tell you there isn't a sturdier quick open safe for the money!

Here's a couple of pics with my G19. It's a sturdy little safe with a simplex type lock. It has a gas piston that pops the door open for fast access with a nylon holster. I don't know what pistols fit the holster, but my G 19 & 17 fit just fine. . Buy the way, it's made right here in the USA!

When I bought mine the guy was offering 25% off if you ordered a safe with a posted coupon code. I don't know if the code is still good, but here it is :

Coupon Code: MM0908ILJO

http://www.fas1safe.com/

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/mfmuf/IMG_2928.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/mfmuf/IMG_2929.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/mfmuf/IMG_2930.jpg

Moose-Knuckle
05-12-10, 07:15
I use something similar...Wal-Mart and Target carry various brands and styles in their office supply departments.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13350582&findingMethod=rr&

When ever we leave the house we lock it up under the bed.

brian556
05-12-10, 07:15
Don't some of these gun vaults come with a keypad that doesn't beep when you press the buttons. This would keep things more stealth, no?

You can turn the beeps off with the gun vault but that can lead to getting locked out of the box. I have had on several occasions tried to open my safe thinking it registered all my button pushes only to find out it missed one. Once you are off you have to get back to the start point on the code input in order for it to accept your code. For example:
you have a code that has 4 button pushes
you push in your code but it only sees 3 of the 4 pushes
now here is where the trouble starts
your safe does not open and you have to guess how many button pushes it missed because it only allows your 4 button code to be entered after the previous attempt has been completed (4 buttons pushed)
It does not automatically pick up your code if you start it over in the middle of a wrong sequence
you can repeatedly enter the correct code but be one button push off in the sequence and it will lock you out for 2 minutes! it takes 18 pushes for this to happen. The only way to get it open in this state is to use the key.
If this happened to me under no kind of stress I fear how well I could get this thing open knowing I may only have a few seconds.
There is a little light on the top of the box that will turn red when the wrong code is entered but in my situation I can not see it due to the location of the box. If you keep entering the first button push in your code until the light turns green you can complete your code from there and the box will open after the correct sequence is entered.
I would like to find something a little easier to get into with out the lock out feature.

markman
05-12-10, 07:24
With a simplex lock, all you have to do is turn the opening nob counter clockwise to clear it. Then you just enter your code combo.

Lucky Strike
05-12-10, 14:14
If you keep entering the first button push in your code until the light turns green you can complete your code from there and the box will open after the correct sequence is entered.
I would like to find something a little easier to get into with out the lock out feature.

THat was a concern with me but I just set a code that's hitting the same two buttons together (index and ring finger) three times so even if it doesn't register the first hit it'll still open if i keep pushing those buttons and chances are very low that someone would randomly hit those two buttons together three times.

brian556
05-12-10, 15:45
THat was a concern with me but I just set a code that's hitting the same two buttons together (index and ring finger) three times so even if it doesn't register the first hit it'll still open if i keep pushing those buttons and chances are very low that someone would randomly hit those two buttons together three times.

Wow thats a great idea, gonna have to look for the manual to change my code now. Thanks!!!

One more helpful tip, Always leave the bedside safe open when you're not using it. I never keep a firearm in it when Im not home. They are either on my person or in my real safe which is bolted down. They are too easy to defeat to use as your only way of securing a firearm in your home when you are away. I don't even bother bolting the bed side safe to anything. it is only used as a deterrent to keep my kids away from my carry pistol.

RIDE
05-12-10, 15:56
http://www.gunvault.com/

i've got one of the mediumish sized models.. i've got a real simple, but not easily guessable code, and can have a condition 1 pistol in 3 seconds without exerting myself nor getting out of bed

This is exactly what I use and how I use it. I highly recommend it.

Real simple and real easy, very secure.

Rosco Benson
05-12-10, 15:59
The non-electronic Simplex locks are the way to go. No batteries to fail and pretty foolproof. Don't set the combination to require two buttons being pushed simulataneously as the locks are picky about hitting them exactly simultaneously.

Some smart-aleck will doubtless point out that the Simplex lock only supports 1,084 different combinations (see http://www.topbits.com/how-to-open-a-simplex-lock.html) and that a determined person could just work through them all. We need to remember we're talking about child-proofing access to the pistol. Once a child is old enough and smart enough to look this stuff up on the web and unsupervised long enough to try combination after combination (not forgetting to reset between tries) then that child ought to have been gun-proofed and know how to behave.

Only a few makers offer quick-safes with the Simplex lock nowadays. V-Line is one.

Rosco

PT Doc
05-12-10, 16:35
The non-electronic Simplex locks are the way to go. No batteries to fail and pretty foolproof. Don't set the combination to require two buttons being pushed simulataneously as the locks are picky about hitting them exactly simultaneously.

Some smart-aleck will doubtless point out that the Simplex lock only supports 1,084 different combinations (see http://www.topbits.com/how-to-open-a-simplex-lock.html) and that a determined person could just work through them all. We need to remember we're talking about child-proofing access to the pistol. Once a child is old enough and smart enough to look this stuff up on the web and unsupervised long enough to try combination after combination (not forgetting to reset between tries) then that child ought to have been gun-proofed and know how to behave.

Only a few makers offer quick-safes with the Simplex lock nowadays. V-Line is one.

Rosco

I have one of these in route to help with a curious 3 y/o.

http://www.vlineind.com/html/top_draw.html

Jerm
05-12-10, 18:59
I've been using the Gunvault Mini on the night stand for about 18 months.I've yet to change the battery despite getting into it at least a dozen times per week(slow week).

I've been thinking about going ahead changing the battery even though the low indicator hasn't come on.

...I may have used lithium.

I also keep the key on my neck in case there's an issue with the power etc.

goodson
05-20-16, 11:11
I've been using the Gunvault Mini on the night stand for about 18 months.I've yet to change the battery despite getting into it at least a dozen times per week(slow week).

I've been thinking about going ahead changing the battery even though the low indicator hasn't come on.

...I may have used lithium.

I also keep the key on my neck in case there's an issue with the power etc.

Visit this site (http://mygunsafeguide.com)to help you how to choose the best gun safe .
Thanks.

Warp
05-20-16, 11:22
I have multiple quick access safes using the simplex mechanical lock.

Fort Knox, V-line, and Shotlock are all worth getting. Just find the one that has the dimensions and opening-direction you want for the specific location and firearm(s).

I have purchased from Amazon and Costo, personally.

I consider turning the nob left/counter clockwise the first step towards opening. Turn nob left, enter combo (all programmed identically), turn nob right, open. No batteries, no electronics.

brian556
05-20-16, 13:09
I have multiple quick access safes using the simplex mechanical lock.

Fort Knox, V-line, and Shotlock are all worth getting. Just find the one that has the dimensions and opening-direction you want for the specific location and firearm(s).

I have purchased from Amazon and Costo, personally.

I consider turning the nob left/counter clockwise the first step towards opening. Turn nob left, enter combo (all programmed identically), turn nob right, open. No batteries, no electronics.

Update:
My gun vault stopped working about 2 years ago. The cable that releases the lock mechanism broke and they said it was not repairable. I've since switched to a cheaper bed side safe by stack on which I like a lot better because the way it opens. I used to get locked out of my gun vault because I wouldn't know where I was in the sequence when I miss punched the code. Never had that problem with this one and no cables or fancy gimmicks to break. Sleep better knowing I can get into this one in a hurry or half asleep.

MStarmer
05-20-16, 15:09
Another vote against GunVault. Used one extensively when my daughter was younger. Parts of the latch fell out, battery wires came off and eventually keypad failed. I got to the point I would just place the key in the lock at night or open it up before bed, too many times it just didn't open. Ended up with a very heavy simplex locked model, I can't remember the brand but it's similar to the one pictured earlier in this thread. Simplex lock and .25 thick everywhere!

Baldness
05-20-16, 15:09
[[/SIZE]I use the hornady rapid safe. RFID bracelet or code gets you in very quickly. I'm more than satisfied keeps my 2 year old's grubby paws off, and as i said very quick access

Spurholder
05-20-16, 19:45
I've had a Fort Knox pistol safe for several years. No muss or fuss, built like it was made out of Chobham armor and the lock mechanism is easy to operate and secure.

It'll hold a G17 w/X300 and a G19 with ease.

sevenhelmet
05-20-16, 22:05
+1 for V-line or simplex-style locks here. I used the gunvault for a while, but it kept eating batteries, and I would go on the road for a month and come back to find it didn't open on the first or second try anymore. I ended up having to change batteries every 6 weeks to have it be reliable, and I still didn't fully trust it for my wife to use while I'm out of town. UNSAT. I got a V-line mechanical lock about a year ago, and I have never looked back.

Omen
05-20-16, 22:10
Another vote for simplex locks. I had a gunvault and got tired of changing batteries and worrying that it would fail when I needed it. Now I use a v line.

Auto-X Fil
05-21-16, 06:32
I have been using GunVaults for 10 years with no issues. I use the Deluxe models with a power cord so the battery is just for backup. The mechanical locks are good, but I find the soft rubber buttons on the GV much faster and easier.

PLCedeno
05-21-16, 09:04
I have had four Gunvaults over the past 20 years. When they work they are easy to use. The problem is that they fail-the electronics go bad over the years. I still have one but i use it for paperwork. Simplex is the way to go, they never fail.

556BlackRifle
05-21-16, 12:19
Necro but WTH. ;) I have three handgun safes that I use routinely.

Safe #3: Biometric Gunvault Micro. This is my second one. The first one failed after 5+ years of daily use. (Multiple uses per day - every day.) Anyway, I called Gunvault so I could order some replacement parts, they said they'd send me a new one - no questions asked. The next day I received my replacement. That was outstanding service and super fast shipping. They also provided shipping for the return of my defective unit. A few days later they even followed up to make sure I was happy with the replacement. They have some of, if not the best customer service I've ever experienced.

Safe # 2 is also a Gunvault. It's the Gunvault Mini-vault. This was my first electronic safe and it's been in use since about 1993. The only thing I've ever replaced are the batteries and foam lining. It's been a real workhorse. Only downside is that it's bulky and uses 8 AA batteries*. (*I don't think this is the case with the newer models.)

Safe #1 Palmer Metal Products drawer type safe with Simplex lock. This is the first handgun safe I ever purchased. I saw the ad in the back pages of a Guns & Ammo magazine in about 1990 - 1991. It's the heaviest toughest handgun safe I own. I've incorporated this safe into a nightstand. The Simplex lock is mechanical so no worries about electronic failures. Inside I have a Glock 23 w/ TLR1 and a spare magazine. IMO this is the best safe I've ever owned. The only downsides are the weight and that after years of use, it's easy to see which buttons are being pushed. (This was an easy fix. Just started using the previously unused buttons and in no time they all looked the same again.)

So my recommendation would be if possible find a brand that uses Simplex locking mechanism. If you can't find one or they are too expensive, Gunvault is a great company and they stand behind their products even after the warranty period has expired.

davebee456
05-26-16, 01:18
V-LINE made in USA - Simplex lock and you can set it with so many awesome combos

Hawk-i
05-26-16, 19:42
+1 for Gunvault Micro. I've had mine for 3 yrs with no problems and have replaced the battery once. The micro holds my EDC LCR and also my M&P 9 with a spare mag - its little tight inside with two guns but this helps the lid pop up quickly once I key in the code.

Sam
05-26-16, 20:05
How ironic that this thread is brought up at this time.

FAS1
10-20-16, 12:38
Visit this site (http://mygunsafeguide.com)to help you how to choose the best gun safe .
Thanks.

Mygunsafeguide.com.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.

Not all are listed on Amazon or put more money into the marketing than the actual product. :rolleyes:

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-d8X3L04eD2E/Va-ZD1p8UKI/AAAAAAAAHXM/K5-w1zfKitU/w639-h480/IMG_3531.JPG