PDA

View Full Version : More AR questions

05-12-10, 09:10
So I am new to the world of the AR. A few weeks ago I asked a question regarding recommended carbines. You all responded with many recommendations that I am still checking out. Many thanks for that.
I went to a local shop and started looking and asking questions. The salesman told me that their really is no difference between new Colts and Bushmasters. Although he really wasn't pushing the Bushmaster. They had a used Colt LE carbine that had a fixed carry handle for about $800 as I recall. This shop gets LE turn-ins. Another shop has the Smith & Wesson "optics ready" [read no sights] for $799. Would any of you recommend the used Colt over the new S&W?

C4IGrant
05-12-10, 09:14
So I am new to the world of the AR. A few weeks ago I asked a question regarding recommended carbines. You all responded with many recommendations that I am still checking out. Many thanks for that.
I went to a local shop and started looking and asking questions. The salesman told me that their really is no difference between new Colts and Bushmasters. Although he really wasn't pushing the Bushmaster. They had a used Colt LE carbine that had a fixed carry handle for about $800 as I recall. This shop gets LE turn-ins. Another shop has the Smith & Wesson "optics ready" [read no sights] for $799. Would any of you recommend the used Colt over the new S&W?

First, think of gun shop owners as the same as used car salesman. They also tend to be some of the most un-educated folks around full of incorrect info. Of course there are exceptions to the rule. ;)

If the used Colt is a 6520, then I would offer him $700-$750 for it and go with that.

I would pass on the S&W optics ready model and go with the S&W MOE or 15A/X.

C4

120mm
05-12-10, 12:18
The gunshop guys push DPMS and Bushmaster like drugdealers push drugs on the playground.

Trust me. There is a difference.

BTW, I like your propensity for direct questions. I have a feeling that you will make a great choice when you finally buy your carbine.