PDA

View Full Version : looking to rescue a rottweiler

lethal dose
05-12-10, 12:01
Thread title says it. Anyone know any good rescues in the eastern Ohio/western Pennsylvania/northern West Virginia that isn't run by a bunch of peta nazis? Requirements of a fenced in yard and home visits are out of the question. We've got a few hundred acres to run on and, just like all other dogs I've owned, it will be kept inside. Looking for one from puppy age to 3 years old. Found one at a local rescue- almost 3 years old... she is supposedly purebread but she only goes 70 pounds (appears healthy) and she is very timid (abuse suspected). Has anyone ever seen a full grown rott this small? In my experience, I have not. Also, would you guys have any reservations about the timid behavior? She plays but does not take quickly to you. I want another dog for protection and, I assume with work, she would instinctively be protective of us once she got used to the new surroundings.

lethal dose
05-12-10, 12:39
With that said... what do you guys think? I'm open to suggestions.

Littlelebowski
05-12-10, 12:46
Good luck avoiding the Rescue Nazis. I'd call the local pounds and explain your situation to them. Try the local Rott rescue anyway; you might end up working with a normal person.

I've had excellent luck on Craigslist. Got a purebred 1.5 yr old Malinois.

lethal dose
05-12-10, 12:52
The local place is a shelter. Very nice people there. She's one of two rotts. Just seems a bit tiny to be purebread.

bullseye
05-12-10, 12:52
i a pplaud you for going the rescue route,, more need to do this.

Littlelebowski
05-12-10, 12:55
If she looks and acts well, I wouldn't worry about the size. I'd prefer a younger dog or a better socialized dog personally.

Littlelebowski
05-12-10, 12:57
I have 2 dogs and a cat. All rescues. The last dog I got off of Craigslist. He is working out well :cool:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/IMG_0752.jpg

Brimstone
05-12-10, 14:47
I had a rescue Rotty as a kid. It was a female and she was less than 70lbs. . She had been beaten by her owner in an attempt to make her mean. We knew the original owner. He raised Rotties and German Shepherds and trained them for police work. He had given this dog to someone because she was too small for police work. He took her away and gave her to us when he found she was being abused.

She was extremely timid and skittish at first. It took at least a year for her to calm down. In the end, she was one of the best dogs I have ever owned.

Fyrhazzrd
05-14-10, 13:52
I've seen a lot of Rotties in the 70-80LB range that were very healthy dogs.. All of them were Female. But I will say this Rotties are typically very loyal dogs and will protect their family and property with their lives. However if they have been abused at any point in their lives, they have been known to turn on their owners. Also you may want to check with your home owners insurance to make sure you are allowed to own a Rottweiler. I have seen many of my friends Home Owners insurance get dropped as soon as they found out they had a Rottweiler. For some reason Insurance companies do not like that breed of dog.

ghostman1960
05-14-10, 15:58
I have a Shih Tzu you can rescue.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/ghostman1960/2009_1220firstphotos0004.jpg

Fyrhazzrd
05-14-10, 16:46
I have a Shih Tzu you can rescue.

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt45/ghostman1960/2009_1220firstphotos0004.jpg

Isn't that the one that pees upside down to greet you? And humps everything in sight.. LOL

CDDM416
05-14-10, 16:47
I commend you getting a Rescue. Thats how I got mine, and he is now my best friend. He gets on my nerves at times, but I try to pester him when I can. :D

lethal dose
05-14-10, 17:47
Lebowski... what you feed your Belgi? How much? Beautiful specimen, there.

10MMGary
05-16-10, 11:47
Good on you, I wish I had more info to share that would be of help. However I would not worry about the size at 70lbs. From the breeders I have talked to and others that are rotty owners, I am under the impression that the huge rottweilers we see today are mostly a American thing and they are actually outside of the original standard for that breed. Good luck and lets see some photos when you get your dog.