PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of a Flash Kill

Dirk Williams
05-12-10, 12:30
I recently purchased a flash kill for a S&B 56mm objective lense. The goal was to kill the possible light flash or reflection if hit by light. Ive been doing alot of dry firing on two of my rigs, one with the flash kill and one without a flash kill.

I continued drying firing into the night and THINK im noting a possible huge problem. It took rifles side by side to determine this possible problem.

Both rifles have S&B PMII's so they are identical scopes. Last night I noticed that the reticle with the flash kill seems to soak up some of the objective lighting, IE it appears to be reducing my ability to shoot at night by cutting down on my 56mm len's ability to seem better in the dark then say a 40mm or other size objective lenses.

Im going to run it again tonight to make sure im actually experiencing what I think I learned last night.

My rationale is simple I own these scopes simply because I believe they are the best on the market. "Couple of years ago in a school I was shooting behing some FEDS and Military guys who's weapons and gear was beyond cool and practical".

Anyway they had PMII's and were able to shoot every shootable night target on the range. I have a Mk4 and could not honestly make out weapons in the targets hands.

When I graduated I got a S&B PMII as a gift and then purchased another for my 338lm.

Has anybody experienced this issue before, I do not want to give up the ability to gather light for night shots for a simple filter.

Im going to do it again tonight to see if I can dulpicate the issue for validation.

D Williams.

sinister
05-12-10, 12:37
A Killflash is doing its job by limiting incoming light to a single plane. You are definitely going to lose light-gathering capability by using one, especially as available ambient light goes down.

Its not required for night use, and I really question the need for it for daytime if you're doing things right.

Dirk Williams
05-12-10, 23:48
Thanks for the in put Sinister. I just finish dry firing again tonight. The light gathered is very very low compared to the open lensed scope.

Another 114.95 lesson in flash vs need. Back to a bird nest. if I feel the need to cover the lense or feel like my position might get compromised by some sort of light reflection.

We need a sniper co op where we can send all the shit we purchase that dosn't meet our needs but might work for someone else's needs.

I like the pay it forward section here, I don't mind giving my stuff away. In fact if someone might be interested in this flash kill PM me. I would have to say that active military or police shooters get priority. Its a 56mm Kill flash from S&B.

D Williams

NMBigfoot02
05-14-10, 12:51
Something else you might consider is an extended objective shroud. The shroud's length should be equal to your scope's objective. That way the only way you can reveal your position would be to have the sun in your FOV.