PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding G19 Mag release for lefties

blackboar
05-12-10, 14:20
A question for the lefties out there. On the Glock 19, I find that during reloads, when I drop my trigger finger to the mag release, my strong hand thumb is in the way on the other side where the release protrudes out when the mag release is pressed.

Has any left handed user experienced that before?

Just to note, my thumb normally rests on the shelf so looking at it, it doesn't obstruct the mag release, however, on reloads, I curl my thumb a bit as I pinch the mag release button with my trigger finger and I have noticed the curl gets in the way of the button coming out.

I have a factory mag release so no Vickers mag release. Would that help me?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice.

CDDM416
05-12-10, 14:46
Is it causing your mag to not release? Im a lefty but I have no problems. But then I dont have huge hands.:D

M4arc
05-12-10, 14:51
I would PM yrac and ask him what he used to do when he shot Glocks. He's since switched over to the P30 but he shot the G19 very, very well and is a lefty.

blackboar
05-12-10, 14:53
When my thumb does get in the way, it does prevent the mag from releasing.

It doesn't happen all the time, but I'd say 10% of my reloads, I hit the mag release and feel the other side hit my thumb. I simply adjust my thumb and hit the button again. But that split second "redo" could mean a lot if in any emergency or competition environment.

I also have a Beretta 92fs which has the mag release protrude through the other side when depressed, but because of the size of the grip, I've never had an issue like this before.

snaf
05-12-10, 14:58
i'm a lefty too, I found that with the vickers it felt a lot easier to release the magazine with my index finger compared to the stock release. I shoot thumbs high so I dont have that issue with my thumb obstructing the release though

tiger seven
05-12-10, 15:00
I'm a lefty and I've never had this problem with either of my G19s. But I do have what medical scientists call "little bitch hands" so that may have something to do with it. :)

FWIW, I'm running the Vickers mag release now but I don't recall ever experiencing this with the factory mag release either. Can't say for sure that the Vickers release would make a difference in this case.

Derek

mkemmerl
05-12-10, 15:32
I haven't run into this either, but I think you answered your own question: "...I curl my thumb a bit...".

Now I'm going to have to look at how close my thumb is on all of my pistols to see if any adjustments to my grip are in order. Both with and without gloves.

Re the Vickers release; if your thumb is blocking it, it doesn't matter how fancy the mag release is.

brian556
05-12-10, 16:04
As a fellow lefty too I found that using my left middle finger to press the mag release on any right handed pistol works the best for me. Takes a little getting use to but can reload just as quick as I do on my ambi SW M&P. I also find that on most right handed pistols you can reach the slide release with your right middle finger of your support hand by slightly crossing it up across the trigger guard. Again takes some practice but seems faster than pulling the slide back to unlock it from the empty mag lock. I use to unlock the slide with my left trigger finger on my old glock but some pistols have the release too far to the rear for that to work.

I wish my parents would've just beat me every time I used my left hand so I could just be normal like the rest of you.

TiroFijo
05-12-10, 17:23
This is a problem inherent of the glock mag release (it is the dowside of a very simple design), and you have to get used to it altering your grip while reloading. I'm right handed and with a G19 my trigger finger is in the way too when I press with the thumb... When I shoot left handed the same as you.

BrentPete
05-12-10, 17:33
I also am a lefty and I have had this happen a few times while shooting my G19. I don't really have a good solution except to slightly adjust my grip so the thumb is out of the way.

blackboar
05-12-10, 19:01
Thanks for everyone's replies. I'm going to have to practice a lot more with the magazine reloads and get consistent on not having my thumb drop in that area. I was practicing in front of the tv and I notice that sometimes I do just leave my thumb on the shelf, whereas other times it'll curl.

I was considering the Vickers Release, but I also didn't see it as solving the issue.

BrianS
05-13-10, 00:11
I was considering the Vickers Release, but I also didn't see it as solving the issue.

Vickers mag release is good for other reasons though.

As a lefty I found that pressing the stock magazine release many many times a day combined with several hundred trigger presses a day over several training days a blister (and eventually a hole) would form in the inward/bottom part of the tip of my trigger finger. A Vickers mag release helps out with that as it is nicely rounded.

I wish my parents would've just beat me every time I used my left hand so I could just be normal like the rest of you.

OTOH you wouldn't be a creative genius either.

:D