PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a longarm to oneself USPS

Knife_Sniper
05-12-10, 14:52
So I just called USPS and they had to go through several managers of managers to get me a half sure answer about shipping a longarm to myself from Texas to Pennsylvania.

They said it is legal to do so, but I am having trouble finding updated documentation to print out and bring to them (aka their policies and procedures) just in case their counter personnel are not familiar with their rules.

Anyone have a link to the USPS rules regarding shipping a firearm? The more official the source the better.

I cant seem to find it myself and would appreciate the help.

Thanks!

MASP7
05-12-10, 15:17
How about this, from the BATFE website-

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html

Q: May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

montanadave
05-12-10, 17:02
Just to clarify, does the BATF allow me, as a Montana resident, to purchase a firearm out-of-state (assuming I meet all the legal requirements, etc. in the jurisdiction where the purchase takes place) to mail it home to myself?

And is this only long guns, but handguns as well?

Belmont31R
05-12-10, 19:11
Just to clarify, does the BATF allow me, as a Montana resident, to purchase a firearm out-of-state (assuming I meet all the legal requirements, etc. in the jurisdiction where the purchase takes place) to mail it home to myself?

And is this only long guns, but handguns as well?

Read the ATF FAQ's. All your questions are answered there.

Yes you can buy a rifle out of state so long as the rifle is legal where you live.

You can buy a pistol out of state but it has to be shipped to an FFL in your state of residence. Dumb rule but thats the law.

You can mail firearms to yourself as pointed out above.

LAWMAN34
05-12-10, 19:59
I have done it many times. UPS was aware and they had no problem with it.

rdc0000
05-12-10, 20:36
n addition, a licensee may sell a rifle or shotgun to a person who is not a resident of the State where the licensee’s business premises is located in an over-the-counter transaction, provided the transaction complies with State law in the State where the licensee is located and in the State where the purchaser resides.

[18 U.S.C. 922(b)(3)]