PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Stocks

LAWMAN34
05-12-10, 15:23
What is your favorite collapsible stock, Magpul, Vltor?

SteveL
05-12-10, 15:51
I had a Vltor Imod (clubfoot) on previous AR, but I think I'll try a Magpul on my next one. They're both top tier as I understand it so it's just a matter of personal preference.

LAWMAN34
05-12-10, 16:19
The Magpul line has been a great seller for me. Thanks for your opinion Steve, appreciated

crazymoose
05-12-10, 16:47
In this order, I would say: EMOD, Magpul M93, SOPMOD, ACS, regular Modstock, UBR, CTR/MOE. I really couldn't be happier with the EMOD, but stocks are largely a matter of preference. However, I keep hearing that the EMOD passed a destructive test that all others failed; I'd like to see a write up of this test.

SteveL
05-12-10, 18:38
In this order, I would say: EMOD, Magpul M93, SOPMOD, ACS, regular Modstock, UBR, CTR/MOE. I really couldn't be happier with the EMOD, but stocks are largely a matter of preference. However, I keep hearing that the EMOD passed a destructive test that all others failed; I'd like to see a write up of this test.

I haven't compared a Vltor directly to a Magpul or anything, but the Vltor I had was built like a tank. I have no doubt it would be extremely difficult to destroy it. I would like to see that write up as well.

USMC03
05-12-10, 18:42
Depends on the gun. You may find this article useful:

http://03designgroup.com/photo/ar15-buttstock-considerations/icon-ar15-buttstock-considerations.jpg
03designgroup | AR15 Buttstock Considerations http://demigodllc.com/icon/extwh3.png (http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ar15-buttstock-considerations)

shadow65
05-12-10, 18:49
I've been pretty satisfied with my cheap Magpul MOE stock. More comfortable than my M4 stock, and doesn't wobble.

Hoss356
05-12-10, 20:29
Forgive me if I'm reading between the lines to much, but is the purpose of this thread curiosity or market research?

LAWMAN34
05-12-10, 20:35
curiosity

usmcvet
05-12-10, 21:12
Well I have 4 CTR's, I like the compactness and weight. Two of the guns are 10.5" SBR's. I like the stock weld of the Voltor and SOPMOD. I was impressed with the quality of the SOPMOD but I sold it because I wanted a smaller profile and I did not like that I had to remove the stock to access the battery storage. I have a MOE pistol grip on all of my guns with the battery core so I do not need the extra storage in the stock. If I needed or wanted the extra storage I'd choose the Voltor, it is cheaper and the access to the batteries does not require removing the stock. I know battery replacement would most likely be taking place during a safe time; I just don't like the idea of having my stock off my weapon. It is really a non issue for me since I’m not in the military. Battery changes for me would most likely be at the beginning of my shift or at the range. The VOLTOR or SOPMOD would also be nice on a longer rifle/carbine.

ChicagoTex
05-12-10, 21:17
For a lightweight carbine, a Magpul CTR can't be beat IMO.

For something a little more front-heavy, I like the LMT SOPMOD or Magpul ACS.

Note I've had the chance to try a VLTOR stock.

I'll definetely never run a USGI stock again.

LMTRocks
05-12-10, 21:45
SOPMOD. I fall asleep on the thing if I'm not careful :)

Belmont31R
05-12-10, 21:57
I would take Jeff's advice, and it really depends on what the gun is used for.

For "fighting guns" I prefer the MOE/CTR. Actually prefer the MOE over the CTR as I have no use for a sling swivel point on the rear of the stock, and the 2nd lock has no noticeable impact. The slightly movement of the MOE doesnt bother me, and its significantly cheaper than the CTR. I also have no issue using either a Gen 1 (CAR) or Gen 2 (M4) USGI type stock. The rubber buttpad is nice on the Magpul stocks to reduce stock slippage, though.

For an SPR I prefer the SOPMOD to both add a little reward weight, and its most comfortable behind a magnified optic.

The UBR is too heavy for anything I want on an AR. I tried one, and promptly took it off. The gun felt like a boat anchor after installing it.

The A2 is too long especially if wearing body armor. I could imagine a couple uses for an A1 stock but I still prefer to be able to adjust the stock length.

Hoss356
05-13-10, 00:19
I like my SOPMOD but the only other stock I've used was an a2 on an M16. I liked both, but I am really happy with my SOPMOD plus I got a great deal on it. Reasons I'm happy with it are, it's really comfortable for me, I don't find it heavy, the storage is very handy for keeping extra gun lube and it fits the RE I put it on so snug it's almost too tight.

Sierrahotel83
05-13-10, 01:29
I personally have any experiance with anything other than an A2, a M4 and a Magpul CTR stock... I love the CTR...

Now as to the durability here is a thread that in the end has a car and a 4000 pound winch with a MOE stock in the middle.
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=49677:D

the_fallguy
05-13-10, 02:57
Depending on how the rifle is set up, a VLTOR Clubfoot or a VLTOR E-mod. I have tried various other stocks, including offerings from Magpul, Choate, the standard issue 6 and 4 position models and even the Sully stock from Defensive Edge, but the VLTOR is far and away my preferred stock at this point.

I like the VLTOR's for its design, construction, the cheek weld it provides, the straight angle of the butt, and the battery storage is a bonus if you choose to utilize it.

rychencop
05-13-10, 06:39
i love my Emod. i put the standard m4 stock back on a few weeks ago and realized how awful it is. Emod is safely back in place.

CAVDOC
05-13-10, 08:52
I have not used any of the magpul products as of yet. I put a vltor A1 clubfoot on my latest build and very much like it perfect lop for me. and lighter and trimmer than an issue a1 or 2 stock. Unfortunately I live in NY so unless I buy my way into a pre-ban lower all my builds on new lowers can not have a tele stock so it would seem somewhat a watse of money to get a really nice tele stock of any sort then have to pin it in a fixed position anyway.

Moose-Knuckle
05-13-10, 11:10
http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51704

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 11:30
In this order.

LMT SOPMOD (AKA: Crane Stock)
Magpul CTR.
Standard M4 Style Stock. (Preferably Colt Defence made.)
Colt Defence CAR-15 Stock. (Sadly not made any more. :'()

ETA: I now own an LMT SOPMOD. The list was revised.

obucina
05-13-10, 11:38
My only experience is with the CTR(commercial) on my Bushy. I chose it because, well, I drink the magpul kool-aid and it was the only one at the gun show :) Besides that, the OEM stock has a small raised lip at the front of the stock...I tend to shoot with the stock at full extension and plant my face quite a ways forward. The lip ends up on the jawbone/cheekbone...that is absent in the CTR and makes for a more comfortable shoot..for me at least.

leopard hound
05-13-10, 11:43
soppmod

LAWMAN34
05-13-10, 15:04
Thanks for all the input

peabody
05-28-10, 13:01
i like simple.and strong. so A1 stock gets my vote.

peabody

d90king
05-28-10, 13:14
I prefer the SOPMOD and EMOD. Both offer a very fast and consistent cheek weld.

I recently added an ACS on a SPR. I like the cheek weld but haven't used it enough to really form an educated opinion, so I cant recommend it like I can the other two that I have used for thousand of rounds.

ParkisMaximus
05-28-10, 17:48
my vote goes to the LMT Sopmod. perfect cheek to stock placement, therefor it keeps your site picture the same every time.

og556
05-28-10, 18:00
My favorite so far is the SOPMOD for overall balance, comfort, and consistency.

So far I have tried the Magpul CTR, UBR, standard CAR collapsible, A2, and SOPMOD.

My ideal stock would be something with the cheekweld and ergonomics of the UBR against my shoulder. That stock was perfect in every way except for the weight.

The UBR would be my perfect stock if it were not such a heavy pig. I would not want to have to run around with a rifle with that stock for too long.

I would love to try the UBR on something like a 10.5" or 11.5" build just to see how it would handle.

If Magpul ever makes a version of that stock that is lighter I would never use another AR15 stock but that one.

warpigM-4
05-28-10, 18:07
I like the Old Colt "N" early Style !

I did Get A CAA stock from drrufo (+1 for Him he is a Great Member Here ) On the" Pay it forward" thread ,I put it on a Lower I had laying around ,It is a nice One Battery Compartment ,Rail on the Side and a rubber pad on the End

RogerinTPA
05-28-10, 19:26
SOPMOD and ACS for me.

ParkisMaximus
05-28-10, 19:32
I like the Old Colt "N" early Style !

I did Get A CAA stock from drrufo (+1 for Him he is a Great Member Here ) On the" Pay it forward" thread ,I put it on a Lower I had laying around ,It is a nice One Battery Compartment ,Rail on the Side and a rubber pad on the End

ive used the caa butt stock, a buddy of mine has a cheek piece for. id consider that if i got the caa butt stock.

ParkisMaximus
05-28-10, 19:35
SOPMOD and ACS for me.

is there a compartment in the stock other than the battery compartment?

jwperry
05-28-10, 19:37
is there a compartment in the stock other than the battery compartment?

The ACS does have a little trap-door pocket on its stock. I can't speak for the SOPMOD though.

Bubba FAL
05-28-10, 19:51
I like the CTRs for general purpose use.

I have a UBR on my "big" 6.8 primarily to help balance the muzzle-heavy feeling. It is a good solid stock and I like the stationary cheek rest. The preset feature is nice too. It is heavy, though, and IMO would be out of place on a carbine.

Ridge_Runner_5
05-29-10, 00:20
my vote goes to the LMT Sopmod. perfect cheek to stock placement, therefor it keeps your site picture the same every time.

Pretty much why I traded my UBR for a Sopmod...being a full pound lighter doesn't hurt, either....

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/Shooting/DSC_0004.jpg

Jake Bauer
05-29-10, 01:57
Maybe because I havent tried anything else, but the MOE feels great to me.

glen
05-29-10, 02:57

I'd like to see that test and the stocks that participated.

On a related note, I recall reading a KB incident with pics where the shooter mortared his AR and bent the receiver extension with no damage to his Vltor EMOD. I was pretty impressed.

Paraclete comes
05-29-10, 07:08
I love my Sopmod but close second is my wife's Emod. The cheek weld is awesome on both and better than the cheek weld on my M40! But overall I think the most solid buttstock is the Sopmod its just rugged. The only minor down side to both is having to remove them to get at the battery's. But this does not bother me as I do not need to speed reload any battery. All the stocks mentioned here are solid though and would depend on application.

Army Chief
05-29-10, 07:45
I have not used any of the VLTOR stocks, though every variant I've seen to date has been a quality product, and well worth the price of admission.

I have used just about every conceivable variant of the USGI carbine stock. They work, offer somewhat varied levels of refinement, and continue to be the "baseline" for any useful comparison. We should include the (LMT) SOPMOD here as well. Although it is also available as a commercial offering, in terms of NSN-standardardized kit, I don't know how a carbine stock can really get any better than this.

I was deliberately rather late in coming to the Magpul table, but have been making up for lost time, with the CTR/MOE, ACS and UBR. Most of the virtues associated with these products are well-known, though I will say this: I strongly prefer the UBR for full-length carbines and SPR applications. The weight is an issue for stripped-down SBRs, but a godsend for longer, railed weapons, and this is hands-down my favorite general purpose stock. Most would correctly point to the CTR/MOE as the new benchmark for NFA length carbines, and although I think the ACS deserves serious consideration here as well, I'm still sorting out some of my thoughts on that account. What I do know is that stripping weight eventually becomes a priority when you're trying to build a fast-handling sub-16" carbine, and the lockup and configuration of the CTR are such that, ounce for ounce, this becomes an extremely easy choice to make.

AC

ForTehNguyen
05-29-10, 07:57
magpul ACS

Caeser25
05-29-10, 09:10
Magpuls are the only ones I like so far because of the shape of the back that connects with your pec, their the only ones that are easiest to get a rock steady hold on the weapon.

I hate the M4 and Car because their flat.
The ACS is toooo long for me to get a comfortable grip with my laeft hand.
I just got a MOE and it's perfect in the first slot.

I haven't tried any others for the first reason above :( I'd like to try a Sopmod but I know I won't like it for the first reason above. Now this is without any gear on.

ParkisMaximus
05-29-10, 09:14
Magpuls are the only ones I like so far because of the shape of the back that connects with your pec, their the only ones that are easiest to get a rock steady hold on the weapon.

I hate the M4 and Car because their flat.
The ACS is toooo long for me to get a comfortable grip with my laeft hand.
I just got a MOE and it's perfect in the first slot.

I haven't tried any others for the first reason above :( I'd like to try a Sopmod but I know I won't like it for the first reason above. Now this is without any gear on.

trust me, the sopmod is great, you get the same sight picture every time. i use it in the first slot, its about 1/3rd of the way back. ill have to give the acs a try though, it looks promising.