PDA

View Full Version : Trip to PA, carry laws questions

Pariah
05-12-10, 16:43
Traveling from MI to PA for my brother's college graduation, my first out of state trip since getting my CPL. (I'm almost 22, got it last summer.) I've been looking for info on carry there, especially around college campuses. I've found the basic info about reciprocity, carry in vehicles, etc, but I'm still not sure on a few things.

Can I lock my gun in my car safe in college parking like I can here in MI? Are there any other gun free zones or gun laws that we don't have here that could catch me off guard? I've found various sites online in my search, but nothing comprehensive. Can anyone point me to some good online resources?

shittercrewchief
05-12-10, 16:45
check here http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Jay Cunningham
05-12-10, 16:46
Moved thread to a regional forum.

Pariah
05-12-10, 17:22
Apologies for the wrong section.

It would appear that there isn't much talking about gun free zones. Specifically, I can't find anything telling me I can or can't lock my gun in the car safe in the parking lot of a gun free zone in PA. Would it be bad to assume that I can?

Gutshot John
05-12-10, 17:30
Apologies for the wrong section.

It would appear that there isn't much talking about gun free zones. Specifically, I can't find anything telling me I can or can't lock my gun in the car safe in the parking lot of a gun free zone in PA. Would it be bad to assume that I can?

To my knowledge there aren't any "gun free zones" at least in my municipality outside of Federal buildings. I also thought gun-free zones were struck down by SCOTUS. You can even carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

If however they do exist in PA, I'd suggest that being locked in your car is probably the lesser of two evils.

Pariah
05-12-10, 18:38
Wow, so I could even carry at a college? :eek:
At the very least knowing I can lock it in the car is good. I probably will anyway. Wouldn't want to cause any trouble at my bro's graduation. But at least I won't have to leave it in the hotel room.

Being able to go into alcohol serving establishments is cool too. I've never been a drinker, but it's always annoying to have to try and figure out if I can go someplace without flat out asking them what percentage of their sales are in booze. :rolleyes: Even the most clueless people know exactly what that question is about.

Gutshot John
05-12-10, 18:56
Wow, so I could even carry at a college? :eek:
There's no law against it, but the University policies may differ.

orionz06
05-12-10, 21:06
what graduation is it?

Pariah
05-12-10, 21:42
Small school on the east side of the state, well north of Philly. Just outside Amish country. I don't expect any problems. :p

I realize that the school would have rules, mostly geared towards students and staff. Even so, I'm just gonna carry like normal and lock it up in the car at the school just to be safe. I don't want any trouble.

Leaving tomorrow morning, so thanks for the info guys. :D

SIGguy229
05-13-10, 00:30
Also...checkout handgunlaw.us