PDA

View Full Version : TNVC Cree Q5 for Surefires with pics

newyork
05-12-10, 16:50
I just got 2 Cree Q5 lamps for my 6P and G2 and neither of them allow the Surefire heads to screw on flush. The G2 is about a thumbnail from reaching flush and the 6P is about 2.5x further away. Am I going to still be waterproof in rainy conditions? Doesnt seem to be enough to disturb the seal and TNVC thought the same and has the same issue with their flashlights.
Having said that, the throw and soft even brightness is outstanding. Like another world. It's not just a super bright focus on the center but an improvement over a large area as well.
Standard G2
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/rslamiroult/DSCF1279.jpg
With Cree Q5 in a G2
http://i605.photobucket.com/albums/tt134/rslamiroult/DSCF1280.jpg

05-13-10, 07:56
The G2 is about a thumbnail from reaching flush and the 6P is about 2.5x further away. Am I going to still be waterproof in rainy conditions?

The general consensus is that a small head/body gap doesn't compromise water resistance.

My Malkoff M60 drop-ins have gaps (the Malkoff actually HAS to have a gap, as part of the design philosophy) and I've left both completely submerged in a utility sink with no signs of moisture inside the light afterwards.

If you get water inside a G2 or 6P, it's going to be through the tailcap/switch mechanism anyway. The head/body fit is definitely not the weakest link.

newyork
05-13-10, 08:51
Great to hear! I'm loving this lamp. Nice clean, bright even spread

ra2bach
05-13-10, 13:08
I spoke to TNVC about this very problem with my G2 and he asked me how old my light was. It seems the internal diameter was slightly smaller on earlier lights and won't allow the spring to descend fully into the light body.

his recommendation was to slightly reduce the spring diameter on the last coil or two at the bottom end by gently compressing with a pliers or other tool.

I haven't been able to do this as I have my hand in a cast but you might try that and let me know...

Dennis
05-13-10, 13:22
The spring thing will work fine, but the tiny gap you get from this and Malkoffs (which you cannot cut) really causes no issues.

Dennis.

orionz06
05-14-10, 06:19
Thanks for the comparison pics, I have been looking at this drop in for my G2L and 9P.

Rated21R
05-14-10, 07:01
very nice indeed.

ra2bach
05-15-10, 14:06
The spring thing will work fine, but the tiny gap you get from this and Malkoffs (which you cannot cut) really causes no issues.

Dennis.

thanks Dennis, that's good to know. but to be clear, TNVC did not say CUT the spring. he said to COMPRESS the diameter "slightly" with a pliers.

fwiw, if I can have my light with the bezel tight to the body or with a slight gap, regardless of water resistance, I think I'd rather have it flush...