PDA

View Full Version : Vacation ~ Book Recommendations?

mwt1980
05-12-10, 16:55
Hey guys...I am leaving for Hawaii on Friday.

What reading material would you recommend for a Gun Enthusiast?

Besides all the typical magazines.

BrianS
05-12-10, 17:08
I flew to Hawaii in December 08 and read the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks on the way out and World War Z by Brooks on the way back.

:D

13MPG
05-12-10, 17:28
Vince Flynn's books are a fun and fast read.
David L Robbins WW2 books are also great.

kry226
05-12-10, 17:43
I flew to Hawaii in December 08 and read the Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks on the way out and World War Z by Brooks on the way back.

:D

I just finished reading this too and was about to recommend it as well. However, it tends to favor knives and other edged weapons over firearms.

kwelz
05-12-10, 17:57
World war Z and Zombie Survival Guide as already mentioned. And don't forget Monster Hunter International. Very fun novel written by Larry Correia. He is a long time poster on THR and TFL and knows his guns. I also think a sequel is on the way soon.

Brimstone
05-12-10, 18:10
Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse (Rawles)

One Second After (Forstchen)

Both are excellent shtf/teotwawki books.

World War Z was good as well.

jmoore
05-12-10, 18:13
Has anyone read (or know the title of?) the book about the US freighter that was hijacked a year or two back and the captain taken hostage? Worth it?

TIA

jm

Rule303
05-12-10, 18:17
Not really a gun book, but take a look at Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy.

mnoe82
05-12-10, 18:49
Flynn's books are good. I like WEB Griffin's Presidential Agent series. WWZ and the Zombie Survival Guide are pretty good/funny. The Road by McCarthy. One Second After. I read Under the Dome by Steven King last summer and its VERY long, but good.

I drive A LOT with my job and rather than listen to the radio's crappy music, I listen to audiobooks. They're great for long flights too btw. Have fun and say hello to Dog the Bounty Hunter.

scanda
05-12-10, 18:53
One Second After.
Molon Labe!

arizonaranchman
05-12-10, 19:03
Vince Flynn's books are a fun and fast read.
David L Robbins WW2 books are also great.

+1 on Vince Flynn's books. He's written about 10 in a series about a CIA operator/assassin and they're fantastic.

VAKafir
05-12-10, 19:11
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart - A very moving and thoughtful novel about the post-apocalyptic world. It's not a running and gunning thriller.

RogerinTPA
05-12-10, 19:12
The Road...if you haven't read it already. Starship Troopers is always a good read, even if you read it.

landrvrnut22
05-12-10, 19:14
Flag of our Fathers and Flyboys by James Bradley.

We went to CA in Oct., and I couldn't put either book down.

mattjmcd
05-12-10, 19:15
Killing Rommel

Liberty and Tyranny

SeriousStudent
05-12-10, 19:23
"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell. A very emotional read by a very brave man.

"One Bullet Away" by Nathaniel Fick. A good look into the education of a young officer.

"Tales from the Stakeout Squad" - a book about the late Jim Cirillo. I'm reading it now, and enjoying it a lot.

"Letter to Garcia" - another interesting and short read.

jaxman7
05-12-10, 19:24
Lone Survivor by author and Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell. Absolutely INCREDIBLE read on a SEAL fire team in A-Stan. I read it in a day and a half. In paperback now for less than $9. Luttrell and his team went through absolute hell. Marcus was the only one left. God bless him and the ones who lost their lives in defense of their buddies.

obucina
05-12-10, 19:26
Courting Disaster by Mark Thiessen. Just leave the dust cover off, it has the image of a jetliner.

Littlelebowski
05-12-10, 19:28
American Rifle - A Biography. (http://www.amazon.com/American-Rifle-Biography-Alexander-Rose/dp/0553805177). Fascinating look at the evolution of the American rifle and rifleman.

jaxman7
05-12-10, 19:31
SeriousStudent and I must be on the same wavelength! Both recommending Lone Survivor in between a minute's time. Again, highly recommend! It will make You be very proud of our S.O.F. units out there.

tibis3383
05-12-10, 19:41
"Lone Survivor" by Marcus Lutrell. A very emotional read by a very brave man.

"One Bullet Away" by Nathaniel Fick. A good look into the education of a young officer.

"Tales from the Stakeout Squad" - a book about the late Jim Cirillo. I'm reading it now, and enjoying it a lot.

"Letter to Garcia" - another interesting and short read.

I would recommend all of these books. Another great WWII read is "With the old Breed" by E.B. Sledge. Have a great trip.

Semper Fi

Tim

rdc0000
05-12-10, 21:45
A Helmet for my Pillow

Stuka Pilot Hans-Ulrich Rudel

Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission

Lucifer's Hammer

Earth Abides

The Road

Patriots

The Guns of August

usmcvet
05-12-10, 22:19
I agree with a few other guys out there

Well, I just finished Lone Survivor Marcus Luttrell great book. I found it tough to get into at first because there was so much about BUDs training, stick with it because it helps understand how they fought so well against incredible odds.

Steven Presfield's The Gates of Fire about the Spartans, good read and nice and long!

Ghost Soldiers: The Epic Account of World War II's Greatest Rescue Mission Great book.

WEB Griffin's Presidential Agent series, I think these are his latest books, I wish he would finish up The Corps, those are all great books too. He also has a series about cops they are good action packed books too.

Flags of Our Fathers is a great book, I have Fly Boys but have not read it yet.

Have a great trip!

Mac5.56
05-13-10, 02:53
"Guns, Germs, And Steel" by Jared Diamond.

99.5% of the people on this forum need to read this book.

RiggerGod
05-13-10, 03:29
For mindless fiction I've enjoyed:

Last of the Centurions by John Ringo

The Kildare Series by John Ringo (A little... racy... if you are easily offended by sexual content this is not the series for you... stick w/ 'Centurion!)

Ghost first book in the series... I was just okay but it sets the stage for the series.

Kildare and the following books are really pretty good!

Also a second vote for Monster Hunters International. Just good gun guy fun! Made me really really want a Saiga-12! Waiting on the sequel!

Patriots was also another great book. Half manual, half novel!

I'd say stay away from any of the Cormac McCarthy books... great novels but they'll leave you crying in you poi!

I've read most of the other books on here.... I read way way too much but there are some very good reads mentioned here