PDA

View Full Version : Nightforce Velocity Reticle with LMT 308?

lj_1187
05-12-10, 19:32
Hey guys. I have been lurking around a while, but do not post much. I researched all the threads on the new Nightforce Velocity reticles, but I have a few questions from those who have used, or own these scopes.

I am waiting on getting my LMT 308 rifle. I plan to use it for targets 100-400 yards primarily, but also out to 500-600 yards on occasion. I am not completely obsessed with shooting quarter sized groups at 300 yards ect, but as long as I can make consistant hits with decent groups I do not care. I am new to scopes, so I do not have experience ranging, making adjustments ect. The new NF Low Velocity reticle seems to match the 7.62 NATO rounds very well, out to 600 yards. My main question, is that I know the Velocity reticles are made to be used with a single load, but if I buy XM80 ammo in bulk from different companies, will it affect my accuracy much? I am thinking of buying LC XM80 in bulk for my stash, and getting some Federal Gold Medal to use more accurately when I want (and use zero stop to hold the different zero). Does this sound like a good idea? If not what advice can those who have used the Velocitiy reticles give me based on my situation? Thanks in advance!:D

rljatl
05-12-10, 20:57
You may be able to use the Velocity on line calculator to see the effect of different loads.
http://www.exbalapplications.com/NightForce/%28S%28xpgwcyizzmza5q450i353jqg%29%29/NfMainForm.aspx

Otherwise, call Nightforce and ask them. My understanding is that the Velocity reticles are not as precise as some of the other reticles such as the NP-R1 & R2, for example.

shootist~
05-12-10, 21:33
I went through the same thought process and seriously considered the LV reticle. Ended up going with the NP-R2. It's more versatile than the Velocity - switching rifles/ammo is just a matter of running the software and some range time.

ALCOAR
05-12-10, 21:42
So far after many months of reading other peoples impressions on the V ret's.....just yesterday finally found the first dude who was not loving it. I have the LV ret. in mine, and how can you not love a scope that basically is perfectly calibrated for the mk 262 round....it dials in exactly at the 200yd sticks on the LV ret's 200yd hash....vs. my everyday range rd. Hornady vmax non moly 55gr. which sights in at 208 yds on my 200yd hash. The LV model is more tailor made for the .223/5.56 than the .308. This is my take using it on my SPR that is shooting TAP t1s and t2s with some mk 262 seconds mix in...so this isn't the best info for you prob.
http://i42.tinypic.com/14df2uf.jpg

I have a MWS 308 on the way as well;), and for me personally i am going w. a recently acquired nxs 2.5-10 x24 mildot til I can save enough coin for my ideal optic which is the nxs 3.5 (x50)....have not thought that far ahead to nail down the ret. i want but I am pretty sure i wont be going w. the V ret. in that model for the mws.

Lastly, if you do determine that you want the V ret. for the .308 than you really got to wait imho given that NF is about to hit it with a little...http://www.snipershide.com/UserFiles/Image/Image/ShotShowFlyer.jpg

http://www.tacticalgearmag.com/profiles/blogs/nightforce-adds-new-1000yard

shootist~
05-12-10, 23:17
The new NF Low Velocity reticle seems to match the 7.62 NATO rounds very well, out to 600 yards.

To make an informed decision you need to know the velocity of the bullet(s) for your barrel length and feed that into the NF calculator. The published factory data simply won't work if you are running a 16" barrel and the factory data is from a 24 - 26" test barrel.

lj_1187
05-12-10, 23:34
Good point. I would be running a 16in barrel, and maybe a 18in later on. How would I find this info out?

shootist~
05-13-10, 08:54
Google is your friend.

lj_1187
05-14-10, 23:04
Ive got my decision down to a TA55 ACOG or the NF. I ordered some xm80, q3130 and federal AE to see what shoots and groups best with whatever I decide. If I went with the NF, is there any reason to get the zero stop if I am getting a velocity reticle?