PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Kits

graffex
05-14-07, 14:26
Any recommendations on cleaning kits? Or is it better to just assemble your own kit?

I'm looking for quality cleaning set-up so money isn't a issue. I need to be able to cover .22lr, 9mm, .45, 5.56, .308, and .30-06.

I like Slip 2000 for cleaning carbon and grease and 10-8 performance for lube.

Paulinski
05-14-07, 15:05
I use most of my supplies from Dewy

I have their .22 caliber and .30 caliber coated rods.

I use their nylon bore brushes, dedicated AR chamber cleaning kit and cut my own patches.

For handguns I use stock Glock rod with assorted patches and brushes.

f.2
05-14-07, 20:53
.22lr, 9mm, .45, 5.56, .308, and .30-06

I'd recommend you piece together the Otis components you need. If you call they are very friendly and can help you through it. Be sure not to get the flexi-rod with the permanently attached slotted tip - it'll limit it's use for other calibers.

.22 slotted tip
9mm slotted tip should cover the .308 and .30-06
5.56 slotted tip
flexi-rod for bbl length, again, a certain size may be used for multiple bbls
t-handle
patches

You don't need their patches - but they are good after the first pass gets the major crud out - you can use them a second time with the three cuts in them. Their web site has video tutorials (http://www.otisgun.com/cgistore/store.cgi?page=/new/fhowto.html&setup=1&cart_id=) that are helpful.

For .22LR, I use the PatchWorm (http://20-20.8m.com/).

You would still need a solvent - Hoppes #9 is good - patches, chamber brushes, a M-16 USGI cleaning rod is good for hooking up the chamber brush and good to have at the range in case of a bore obstruction.

graffex
05-14-07, 21:03
I have a Otis kit now and I'm not really impressed with it. I believe a rod does a much better job of cleaning. The Otis kit is more suited for a quick in the field clean, not a down on the bench thorough clean.

nationwide
05-14-07, 21:58
I know it's not trendy or the best, but I picked up a USGI cleaning kit & case at the gunshow last weekend. It's handy enough to toss in my SBR case. My primary motivation was to have a solid cleaning rod at the range, to help remove stuck cases.

However, my "cleaning kit" has been pieced together from what I've found I like over the last 17 years of shooting.

VA_Dinger
05-15-07, 07:32
Otis - nothing more needs to be said.

I bought one of their kits that does everything from 9mm - 7.62mm and use it for everything.

Great product.

graffex
05-21-07, 15:05
Anyone have any experience with M-Pro 7 cleaning products? I'm thinking about ordering one of there cleaning kits.