PDA

View Full Version : Troy TRX Standard Vs. Troy MRF-MX? What are the advantages?

Roadblock
05-12-10, 21:03
I'm looking to buy either a Troy MRF-MX 10' or a TRX Standard 11' inch rail tonight. I'm sitting here looking at both on MackNLou on EBay, same price, $169.00 shipped.

Whats the real difference? Both look the same other then ones two piece and the other is one piece.

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

5pins
05-12-10, 23:29
Troy is having a 20% off on their MRF Battlerails.

http://store.troyind.com/category_s/153.htm

William B.
05-13-10, 11:04
I e-mailed Troy awhile back with this same question. If my memory serves me right, the main difference is that the TRX uses a proprietary barrel nut which replaces the factory AR barrel nut. The MRF uses the standard barrel nut.

From what I've heard the TRX supposedly locks on more tightly than the MRF, too. I went with the 11" TRX Standard myself and I've never handled the MRF really, so I can't comment on it. I do know, though, that the TRX does lock up securely. My only complaint is that the TRX Standard is pretty heavy. Other than that it's GTG.

Roadblock
05-13-10, 13:48
I ended up getting the MRF-MX 10 just because i like the way it looks with the M4 cut barrel.

I almost bought it from Troy directly as I saw there 20% off too, but MackNLou had it for $169.00 shipped. There an eBay store that has 11,000+, almost 12k feedback and 100% positive.

Also found threads here on M4Carbine and AR15 from people who have dealt with them, they have GOOD feedback in general and the price was right.

Actually both the TRX Standard 11' and the MRF-MX 10' were $169.00 shipped.

LAWMAN34
05-13-10, 14:45
I would actually go with the TRX extreme and just put the picatinny attachments where you want them.

BigEmpty
05-13-10, 15:07
If I'm not mistaken, the MRF rails are two-piece and the TRX are a one piece.

I have one of their TRX Std 11", and I absolutely love it. Great price, as well.

Avenger29
05-13-10, 15:14
The only thing I can say is I'm going with the TRX standard myself instead of the MRF when funds allow...

Deaj
05-13-10, 18:47
I have a Smith & Wesson M&P15T and the quad rail forend is a Troy 10" MRF. It's solid - not going anywhere. I'm not sure I would have picked the MRF if I had assembled this rifle but I'm impressed just the same.

I'll be building a second AR later this year and I'll be looking for a lighter FF quad rail with a smaller outside diameter (measured rail to rail across or top to bottom). This is one aspect of the MRF I wish were different. With Magpul XTM rail covers installed the forend is bigger around than I prefer. Also, the 10" MRF has no QD swivel sockets built into the rail (the other lengths do - not sure why this one doesn't). This is nit picking though. The MRF with ladder style covers and a Troy low profile rail mounted QD sling mount works out perfectly for me.

bp7178
05-14-10, 19:48
I almost bought it from Troy directly as I saw there 20% off too, but MackNLou had it for $169.00 shipped. There an eBay store that has 11,000+, almost 12k feedback and 100% positive.

I bought my 10" MRF from the same place. $169 shipped is a steal. I also have a UBR stock from the same place on the way, and have bought many other items from them. Always top notch and very fast shipping.

The MRF is a two-peice while the other is a single peice style rail. I have a CMMG upper/lower with a DD CHF barrel and Troy low profile gas block. The MRF clamps rock solid to the barrel nut and lines up great with very little gap between the rail and upper.