PDA

View Full Version : Life with my S&W M&P15T so far - thoughts, updates....

Deaj
05-12-10, 21:44
I did quite a bit of research before choosing a new AR-15 last year. The Smith & Wesson M&P15T turned out to be the closest thing to ideal that I could find and the price was definitely right - $1150 after shipping and FFL fee. The 4140 steel barrel with 1:9 twist is more than sufficient for my use. 90% or more of the ammo that this rifle will be fed will be 55gr. .223 and I rarely empty even a single magazine in rapid succession.

The trigger on my M&P15 is a fantastic example of how good a standard GI trigger can be. I haven't measured pull weight but it feels like 6-7 lbs. There's no creep and the break is crisp and consistent. It's very smooth as well - no grittiness.

I've made a few changes to my M&P15T's configuration and there's a few more to come. I'm very impressed with every Magpul product I've purchased to date! I recently added the enhanced butt pad to the CTR stock (mostly to add a little length with stock fully extended), a MIAD grip with AA battery core (certainly the most comfortable grip I tried to date), and a B.A.D. lever.

The B.A.D. together with the BCM/VLTOR Gunfighter charging handle make a big difference in operating the weapon as just about everything, including clearing a double feed, may be done without removing your hand from fire control.

I'm still trying to figure out what I prefer out on the rail for a grip. I have a Knights Armament VFG that I find more comfortable than most VFG's and it's very lightweight. The ergonomics of a VFG are less than entirely comfortable though, specifically for the wrist. I had the opportunity to handle an AR with a Magpul AFG mounted. The position on the lower rail wasn't ideal for me but the ergonomics are a definite improvement over a standard VFG so I ordered one. If the AFG doesn't work out I'll likely go back to the vertical grip in a forward enough position to limit the wrist angle. I'm currently using the rail forend w/ ladder covers as a standard stock and I'm thinking this might also be preferable to a VFG.

I have a couple of VLTOR Scout light mounts, one offset, one standard low profile. Current light placement (pictured below) works well using the quad rail forend as a standard stock. Same arrangement on the other side of the rail works well for use with a VFG. This will likely have to change for use with the AFG - likely best without the offset. The light is a Streamlight PolyTac LED - extremely light, rugged, and 130 lumens for 3 hours continuous

The sling is something I've been fumbling with for a while trying to figure out what works well for me. I have a Blackhawk V-TAC quick adjust sling, a low profile Troy QD swivel mounton the left side rail closest to the receiver, and a Tango Down PR-4 QD swivel mount just behind the castle nut on the buffer tube. With this setup I can use it as either a 2-point configuration between the rail and the PR-4 or move both swivels to either side of the PR-4 and use it as a (quasi) single-point sling. Both work very well!

After experimenting with short range optics / RDS' I've found that the Eotech HWS seem to work best with my eyes. I much prefer the sight picture and find the reticle preferable to a single dot. I also like the absolute co-witness more than a lower 1/3rd. I ordered an Eotech 512 today and I'm definitely looking forward to my next trip to the range.

The current configuration is fairly light and very simple. The addition of an AFG and Eotech is about as far as I want to go with this rifle. I have a Harris 6-9" bipod and a 4.5-14X scope on quick mounts for long range shooting. The scope/mount has maintained zero with removal and remounting nearly a dozen times so far. Most of my shooting is at a distance of 100 yards or less and with iron sights or a RDS though.

Aside from what is visible the only other mod worth noting is the addition of a Spikes ST-T2 buffer. Cycling is smoother and recoil impulse is slightly reduced. Definitely worth the $30 I paid for it.

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/m&p15_04-02.jpg

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/m&p15_04-01.jpg

I'm going to be building / assembling (haven't decided completely yet) a second AR later this year using BCM as a supplier. I'm trying to decide what the focus of that weapon will be before I start ordering.

Mac5.56
05-13-10, 03:00
Right on? How often do you shoot it, and how many rounds have you sent down range?

Update us on results you have with various ammo in regards to performance.

I've got an MP15 with about 2500 rounds through it, and in that time I have experienced a 2 failures to extract that have me a bit annoyed as they put the gun out of action. I'm getting more and more curious about if the SW chamber is a true 5.56.

jbsmwd
05-13-10, 03:49
I have not had any extraction problems with the few rounds(300) that have gone through my M&P-15OR, but I did have one very strange ejection right back in to the PMag. The shoulder/neck of the brass was right on the ramp and the rest was under the lip of the Pmag. Just weird. I have been wonder how big the gas port is on the barrel because brass strikes are on the edge of the case deflector and door area(not sure what that is called).

Did that Spikes ST-T2 buffer help throw the brass in the 4 o'clock position? Cause if it did it would save me the cost of a new barrel.

arizonaranchman
05-13-10, 05:04
Nice set-up. I like KISS rifles. Thanks for sharing.

My BCM middy is very similar at this point (KISS). Complete 16" BCM upper/lower with standard handguards, an M4 stock and an A3 carry handle as i'm still scrounging up the $$$ for an Aimpoint T1. It's my constant companion and goes nearly everywhere with me daily and I couldn't be happier.

Deaj
05-13-10, 09:17
Right on? How often do you shoot it, and how many rounds have you sent down range?

Update us on results you have with various ammo in regards to performance.

I've got an MP15 with about 2500 rounds through it, and in that time I have experienced a 2 failures to extract that have me a bit annoyed as they put the gun out of action. I'm getting more and more curious about if the SW chamber is a true 5.56.

I haven't kept track of what I've fed it to date. It's been through ~2,000 rounds to date, some .223, some 5.56, and I have yet to experience any failures. Almost all of this has been through the PMags that I own, a little of it through a friends CProducts GI style magazines.

I haven't done any accuracy comparisons between different ammo yet as I'm seeing excellent results with standard 55gr. Federal and Fiocci .223 in bulk. It's capable of more consistent performance that I am so far.

Deaj
05-13-10, 09:22
Did that Spikes ST-T2 buffer help throw the brass in the 4 o'clock position? Cause if it did it would save me the cost of a new barrel.

It did change the ejection pattern a little and it's close to 4 o'clock by memory. Brass is striking the center of the brass deflector and lands in a small area when shooting from a fixed bench position.

Deaj
05-13-10, 09:27
Nice set-up. I like KISS rifles. Thanks for sharing.

My BCM middy is very similar at this point (KISS). Complete 16" BCM upper/lower with standard handguards, an M4 stock and an A3 carry handle as i'm still scrounging up the $$$ for an Aimpoint T1. It's my constant companion and goes nearly everywhere with me daily and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks! I'm diggin' the simple config. Earlier configurations have been busier and a touch heavier without any functional benefit for me..

Scoby
05-13-10, 11:10
I am enjoying my MP15T as well.

Got about 2,000 rds plus through the gun now. Mostly M193 55gr FMJ and have not had the first problem.

Although the factory trigger was not to bad, I got the Bill Springfield 4lb mods done. Unless something fails with the FCG in the future, it's the best money I've spent.

The Troy sights and rail are great. In shooting irons, I'm only good for minute of man at 100 yds due to my bad eyesight. I added a EoTech XPS and that changed everything. It is a great HWS and I haven't had the first problem out of it either.

The S&W has been a great weapon for me.

Scoby

Deaj
05-14-10, 00:54
I am enjoying my MP15T as well.

Got about 2,000 rds plus through the gun now. Mostly M193 55gr FMJ and have not had the first problem.

Although the factory trigger was not to bad, I got the Bill Springfield 4lb mods done. Unless something fails with the FCG in the future, it's the best money I've spent.

The Troy sights and rail are great. In shooting irons, I'm only good for minute of man at 100 yds due to my bad eyesight. I added a EoTech XPS and that changed everything. It is a great HWS and I haven't had the first problem out of it either.

The S&W has been a great weapon for me.

Scoby

I chose the M&P15T after handling a good selection of AR's locally. An out of state dealer provided a much better price so I bought mine and had it shipped to a local FFL. The triggers on pretty much every AR I handled were less than ideal. I'd pretty well decided that trigger work was going to be required even before I had my new AR in hand. As it turned out the trigger on my AR is fantastic! I was corresponding with Bill Springfield about having his 4lb trigger job done. When the rifle arrived it was clear its trigger group should be left alone. I was still kicking around the idea of purchasing a reworked trigger group from Bill but decided against it after my first trip to the range. Luck of the draw I guess. I wish all GI triggers performed like mine. When I start my build for a second AR later this year I will more likely than not be requiring some trigger work to be happy with the trigger in that rifle. Won't know for sure until I get a lower built

tobasco
05-14-10, 01:36
Sweet rifle no doubt. I had one, but sold it.

Deaj
05-15-10, 19:38
After comparing the Magpul AFG and Knights VFG to the ladder covered rails I think I prefer using the rails as a foregrip - just used to a plain horizontal forend stock I guess.

I received my Eotech 512 today. I'd love to get out and shoot with it but it'll be another week or two before time allows.

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/M&P15T-finished.jpg

Scoby
05-17-10, 08:16
I'm sure you'll like your 512.

I recently got to run a weapon with an Aimpoint M4s on it. It's a great RDS, built solid and has terrific battery life, but I prefer the EoTech. Mainly for the recticle and field of view.

I kept wanting to look through the Aimpoint like I would a regular scope.

Scoby

kittyhawk
05-17-10, 18:14
I have had my M&P T since they came out. Mine had the FU&&ed up gas block, I sent it back and the replaced the whole upper. Turned it around with in 10 days.
It now has over 4500 rounds with out a flaw. I shoot mostly wolf or Brown or silver bear. Yea I know I am a cheap bastard but it keeps shooting.
I love mine it is my plinking and fun AR.

I shoot 660 rounds on SAT all wolf 55gr.

Dave

Deaj
05-18-10, 19:46
It's nice to hear others are having positive experiences with the M&P15 line!

The Eotech is going to work out nicely. I'll get it zero'd on my next trip to the range but I'm really looking forward to getting out to shoot in a less 'restrictive' environment (the local range is 200 yds max and paper punching only, standing or benched only). It'll be closer to a month out before this'll happen. I really like the 1MOA dot, the circle/dot reticle, and the sight picture!

kittyhawk
05-18-10, 20:30
I run a eotec 511 with the gg&g accucam mount on mine. I need a small riser on mine to get a lower 1/3 co wittness. For me it sets just a little low for my liking.
I have mine zeroed at 100 and dam it shoots good..........When this barrel is shoot out or when I get a wild hair I will be getting the BMC middy light weight barrel on the upper.

But other that that I think the M&P line are some dam good Guns.

Dave

Deaj
05-19-10, 10:55
If it 15T weren't so consistently accurate I would consider swapping the barrel out for a DD pencil barrel. It's too good a rifle the way it is to mess with it though. Should I ever get close to wearing the barrel out I might do just that. Hard to imagine wearing the barrel out with my budget and schedule - that a lot of ammo and trigger time.

GunBugBit
06-03-10, 12:57
I can appreciate your 15T. I just acquired a 15x and to mount a scope I had to buy an extra high ring mount to see over the tall A-frame-mounted front sight. The T has folding front sights, very nice.

ghostman1960
06-03-10, 13:07
I chose the M&P15T after handling a good selection of AR's locally. An out of state dealer provided a much better price so I bought mine and had it shipped to a local FFL. The triggers on pretty much every AR I handled were less than ideal. I'd pretty well decided that trigger work was going to be required even before I had my new AR in hand. As it turned out the trigger on my AR is fantastic! I was corresponding with Bill Springfield about having his 4lb trigger job done. When the rifle arrived it was clear its trigger group should be left alone. I was still kicking around the idea of purchasing a reworked trigger group from Bill but decided against it after my first trip to the range. Luck of the draw I guess. I wish all GI triggers performed like mine. When I start my build for a second AR later this year I will more likely than not be requiring some trigger work to be happy with the trigger in that rifle. Won't know for sure until I get a lower built

The stock trigger on my S&W lower is one of the best I have ever used on a AR.

Waylander
06-07-10, 09:48
I heard that S&W ARs used to be made by another manufacturer but they're now being made by S&W in-house. Is that true?

Is the gas block taper pinned on this rifle and is it possible to get one as a replacement part or only as a take-off?

Deaj
06-07-10, 12:01
I heard that S&W ARs used to be made by another manufacturer but they're now being made by S&W in-house. Is that true?

Is the gas block taper pinned on this rifle and is it possible to get one as a replacement part or only as a take-off?

Stag was involved in the earliest M&P15 production but S&W quickly tooled up to move full production in-house where they have been produced since. The gas block is taper pinned to the barrel. You'd have to speak to S&W regarding a factory spare.

Waylander
06-07-10, 12:45
Stag was involved in the earliest M&P15 production but S&W quickly tooled up to move full production in-house where they have been produced since. The gas block is taper pinned to the barrel. You'd have to speak to S&W regarding a factory spare.

I'm envious of the taper pinned low profile gas block. I wish more manufacturers (ahem, Colt) would start making them.

steeltoe
06-07-10, 22:12
I am very satisfied with my M&P15. Its wearing a Troy 12in FSP rail now. Great trigger out of the box and it feeds everything.

Deaj
06-08-10, 20:43
A Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm followed me home today! Here's a pic with my 15T:

http://home.centurytel.net/flanneldrawers/m&p's-01.jpg

BT556
06-09-10, 09:33
does anyone with a 15t have a problem with the troy handguard being blue. Mine is, ive tried soaking it in oil and its still blue. and the handguards top rail isnt lined up with the upper recievers rail, is this common?

Deaj
06-09-10, 10:06
does anyone with a 15t have a problem with the troy handguard being blue. Mine is, ive tried soaking it in oil and its still blue. and the handguards top rail isnt lined up with the upper recievers rail, is this common?

I would say that the anodizing on the front rail of my 15T has a slight blue tint in certain lighting but it's not something I would have noticed without flash photography. They appear color matched to me otherwise.

A member of smith-wessonforum.com mentioned that his 15T's Troy rail isn't lined up properly with the upper receiver rail and posted a pic - it definitely wasn't lined up. Replies seemed to indicate that there's some variation but most seem to be pretty well tined up. Mine is so square they might as well be the same rail. Is the rail alignment on yours off horizontally (clock) or vertically (level)?

Scoby
06-09-10, 10:13

On the one I own and on all the ones I have handled, the rail appears to be black anodized. It's not a blued finish for sure.

Your front handguard rail should line up with the upper receiver rail. I would consider it to be a problem. Alignment of the front and rear BUIS is the first thing that comes to mind.
The rail's not loose is it?

Scoby

BT556
06-09-10, 10:45
its off horizontally, no its not loose, and it has a very blue tint to it. those two little things just bother the hell out of me.

BT556
06-09-10, 11:01
http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae125/BLT556/100_1757.jpg

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae125/BLT556/100_1756.jpg
Its not canted bad but enought to be annoying, but the rail is really has a bad blue tint to it. But the rifle has been great no malfunctions at all, definitly better than my bushmaster.

Scoby
06-09-10, 11:37
Looks like the rail is rotated clockwise a little to me. If it's still under warranty I'd call S&W and let them know. You'll probably end up sending it back to them but I'm sure they will take care of it.

I'd tell them about the blue tint of your rail too. If it really looks like that and it's not just the flash photo that would irritate me too.

Scoby

BT556
06-09-10, 11:39
yeah its only a couple of months old, the rail really is that color, its annoying

Deaj
06-09-10, 12:06
I concur. The rail position issue can be addressed without issue. The color of the rail itself does look off from the photos. I don't know that it would bother me all on its own but combined with the poor positioning of the rail I think my tolerance for the rail finish would be pretty low. If you send it back to S&W to have the rail positioned properly you should ask them to replace it with one that has a proper finish.

Curious - is this an early 15T or more recent? Not that it matters really but there seemed to be a few wrinkles in early production M&P15's when Stag was involved (not a slight towards Stag). Quality control seemed to improve significantly once production was moved in-house at S&W. I don't know how to identify the Stag M&P's other than by the BCG gas key staking (Stag staking looks like a straight line hammered across each of the gas key bolts perpendicular to the bolt carrier - S&W staking is proper and pushed from the sides towards the bolts).

Call S&W. I am sure they'll make it right. S&W provides fantastic customer service. If it is one of the early Stag M&P's have them go over the entire upper and make sure everything is right. They'll know what to look for.

BT556
06-09-10, 12:58
thanks im going to call S&W, i think it is a later production, if i get what you are talking about with the bolt staking. The bolt is stamped MP, if that helps.