PDA

View Full Version : LMT MRP Piston goes to war?

variablebinary
05-12-10, 23:07
Anyone seen this pic? When did the MRP piston start getting fielded?

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/873/970454081.jpg

ALCOAR
05-13-10, 00:21
I have seen it before awhile back.....its not completely a secret or anything, but SF's have been fielding mrp uppers for quite some time. The fact that so much secrecy is involved in SF community in general and few cameramen ever get to snap a pic or two of them in action downrange is prob. the reason why more pics do not exist of SF guys w. mrps. SF guys are the guys I know of in the U.S. military that have and do field them.

MRPs and spec op's are beyond good bedmates, so it would only make sense that the real world operators would be taking advantage of having one gun.....that transforms into a piston, to a precision SS tack driver, to a 6.8spc.......and on and on:D

NickB
05-13-10, 00:54
Anyone seen this pic? When did the MRP piston start getting fielded?

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/873/970454081.jpg

Can you tell me what image number that is at Getty Images? Judging from the magazine well angle, it appears to be an HK416 lower, but I could be mis-reading the low-res image.

docsherm
05-13-10, 08:00
It could just be a guy in Special Ops (Army or Air Force) who put their own upper on the issued lower. It is quite common.

500grains
05-13-10, 08:54
It could just be a guy in Special Ops (Army or Air Force) who put their own upper on the issued lower. It is quite common.

Actually a guy who works at LMT told me they had sold a bunch of rifles to the DoD, but he did not want to say what units. Looks like he was right.

ALCOAR
05-13-10, 11:33
Its amazing how the Spec op community takes secrecy to a whole new level....like a said before, its not a real secret...but i bet there is no receipt or paper trail for any mrps sold to the DoD.

By the way, they were using D.I. mrps downrange prior to the piston mrps.

Geissele still as company cannot confirm or deny that the SSF units are being fielded by the socom community, yet its basically a well known and widely accepted fact that Socom does in fact use SSF units.

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 11:35
This is awesome.

Go LMT!

Always tried to justify buying a piston MRP.

NickB
05-13-10, 11:45
Its amazing how the Spec op community takes secrecy to a whole new level....like a said before, its not a real secret...but i bet there is no receipt or paper trail for any mrps sold to the DoD.

By the way, they were using D.I. mrps downrange prior to the piston mrps.

Geissele still as company cannot confirm or deny that the SSF units are being fielded by the socom community, yet its basically a well known and widely accepted fact that Socom does in fact use SSF units.

If you look hard enough there is generally a paper trail. Awards for Geissele triggers that specify HK 416, Crane, NSW, etc. Contract awards for HK 416 parts going to somewhere in North Carolina or Virginia. That sort of thing. I think most of the small arms side isn't very hush hush relative to other equipment these units use.

ALCOAR
05-13-10, 13:38
If you look hard enough there is generally a paper trail. Awards for Geissele triggers that specify HK 416, Crane, NSW, etc. Contract awards for HK 416 parts going to somewhere in North Carolina or Virginia. That sort of thing. I think most of the small arms side isn't very hush hush relative to other equipment these units use.

Very few are as qualified to talk about small arms and gov't contracts than you:).....I am sure you know quite a few of those lil "secrets".

I think at the end of the day its a good thing to not know some stuff, and rather use the unknown as a lil octane to fuel the dreams at night.

armakraut
05-13-10, 18:02
It would be interesting to know how the Piston MRP's fared.

variablebinary
05-14-10, 00:02
It would be interesting to know how the Piston MRP's fared.

I am curious about this in general.

You never really hear about MRP pistons that have been flogged to failure.

Though, my understanding is the MRP piston has been around since the SCAR trials and only in recent years has it been released. There is sure to be some refinement as a result.

armakraut
05-14-10, 00:16
You never hear about MRP pistons much in general.

variablebinary
05-14-10, 03:16
You never hear about MRP pistons much in general.

See what happens when you don't get your gear on Future Weapons

montrala
05-14-10, 04:22
Can you tell me what image number that is at Getty Images? Judging from the magazine well angle, it appears to be an HK416 lower, but I could be mis-reading the low-res image.

Nope, it's not 416 lower. Magazine well on 416 is parralel to to the bore.

tenewel
05-14-10, 05:19
Here's thought. What's to say he's even military? All of the alphabet agencies have people on the ground with their own myriad sets of equipment. Not to mention any of the contractors that exist in theater.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-14-10, 22:00
I love mine and its chuging right along

ALCOAR
05-15-10, 00:14
Here's thought. What's to say he's even military? All of the alphabet agencies have people on the ground with their own myriad sets of equipment. Not to mention any of the contractors that exist in theater.

Wow, normally I would have to heckle anyone who waits several yrs. to pop their cherry...but I must say, the first reply was very impressive....and those sneaky agencies w. sneaky weapons is exactly the stuff I day dream about on a daily basis:)

tenewel
05-15-10, 05:53
If you knew me you'd know, I'm at the point of the spear, sharp as a box of rocks. Whoops, did that slip. As for the Super Secret Squirrel Club? It's what wet dreams are made of.

Xpertz1
05-15-10, 14:35
I have 3 with Pistons, coincidentally, they all have LMT uppers and barrels. I have designed my own anti-tilt carrier and have absolutely no problems. Will not build another DI.

armakraut
05-15-10, 18:34
Shelved by the operators, or shelved by the higher ups again?

Xpertz1
05-15-10, 20:26
I don't know where you heard that because my nephew is one of the group testing them "in combat" right now, and he has had very few problems or complaints. Someone is blowing smoke !!

ALCOAR
05-15-10, 20:32
Come on gents...lets not turn this awesome thread in to either a D.I. vs piston or a 416 vs. m4 thread....after all MRPS equate to Burger King....HAVE IT YO WAY...:)

RogerinTPA
05-16-10, 08:23

May even be Christians In Action SAD guys.

markm
05-16-10, 08:28
This is awesome.

Go LMT!

Maybe their next big ad campaign will be "MIM FTW!!!" :rolleyes:

DEA in Afghanistan have LWRCi guns.

Another idiotic weapon selection by the DEA!!! They should go 3 for 3 and pick Olympic Arms next!!!

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-16-10, 18:05
I wish there where more pics of the LMT piston at war

parishioner
05-17-10, 01:03

graffex
05-18-10, 08:32
markm,

I think I speak for many when I say the following and I'm going to try to be as polite as I can. You have made it abundantly clear in countless threads that you do not care for LWRCI or their products and its perfectly fine not to like someone's product. What isn't fine is that you continuously berate them and vocalize your disdain for the company to the point where its teetering on insanity. I don't know what has caused you to have so much animosity built up inside for a firearms manufacturer that you jeer and scold them when given the slightest chance and I really don't care but its unnecessary and it needs to stop. And just to let you know, I don't own an LWRCI or ever plan to in the foreseeable future so I'm not some fanboy who is angry you dissed my favorite rifle. I'm just a person who has read one too many of your posts and has had enough. Please, give it a rest. It really doesn't have to go any further than this. Just accept responsibility for yourself and continue on with being a very productive and otherwise knowledgeable member of the board. Thank you.

LWRCi doesn't have a good reputation for good reason. If you do a little searching around on the boards you will find out why. He is free to express his opinion when and wherever he likes, especially since he has a great point.

Zeus
05-18-10, 09:48
The incessant nagging/bitching bout ANY make has long since grown old and beneath us all... can we get back on topic please?

ehcarl2983
05-18-10, 09:58
Can ya'll educate a relative newbie (I obviously am since I can't tell what that is in the picture :D) on exactly how you came to the conclusion that that is an MRP upper???

Cincinnatus
05-18-10, 11:22
Can ya'll educate a relative newbie (I obviously am since I can't tell what that is in the picture :D) on exactly how you came to the conclusion that that is an MRP upper???

The bolts for retaining and swapping the barrel are easily spotted on the MRP. Look just forward of the ejection port at the point at which on an standard M4 or M16 you would see the Delta Ring.

ehcarl2983
05-19-10, 07:22
The bolts for retaining and swapping the barrel are easily spotted on the MRP. Look just forward of the ejection port at the point at which on an standard M4 or M16 you would see the Delta Ring.

Well damn that wasn't too hard at all once I know what I was looking for:D Thanks for the help!

Mjolnir
05-19-10, 22:43
Well damn that wasn't too hard at all once I know what I was looking for:D Thanks for the help!
Look at the silhouette of the upper; look towards the barrel and you see the very large gas block/heat sink/piston head protruding above the barrel.

82ndtrooper
05-19-10, 22:57
It's not unheard of for teams to make unit purchases of certain firearms in the SOF community. Nothing really new here to see in my opinion.

I do know of some LWRC uppers that where a unit purchase and some TRP Operator 1911's that where also a unit purchase.

What's the big deal here with this photo ? :confused: :rolleyes: