PDA

View Full Version : Which BCM middie should I buy?

Buckeye0311
05-13-10, 08:46
My lower is finished and now it is time to purchase my upper. Should I get a BCM 16" middie lightweight or standard weight barrel? This will be my only carbine for the next couple of years, and I plan on shooting it often. This will be for a class next year and for defense purposes. Thanks.

sammage
05-13-10, 09:01
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=638819

FWIW, I went with a LW middy on my recent build. I really enjoy the balance of it.

graffex
05-13-10, 09:09
I'd stick with the standard length barrel but YMMV.

BWT
05-13-10, 09:21
I received my BCM Mid Length upper (Standard Profile) earlier this week, I fired it yesterday, not as much as I would've liked but.

I like the Standard Profile, for my uses, they work great.

Does anybody know the difference in the weights of the barrels?

Just out of curiosity.

Buckeye0311
05-13-10, 09:32
sammage, thanks for the link. Great info. I guess that I didnt search enough. :)

Buckeye0311
05-13-10, 10:29
This:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20ddox9.htm

or, This:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20vtrx11.htm

I have no knowledge on the VTAC handguards. Are they a good piece of kit??

Moose-Knuckle
05-13-10, 11:04
The only AR I have to date is a light weight, for a carbine I really don't see why one would need the extra weight.

But then again if this is just going to be used on a bench with a rest it really dosen't matter.

William B.
05-13-10, 11:13

The V-Tac handguard is based on the Troy TRX Extreme handguard. It has bolt-on rail sections instead of permanently attached quad rails in order to save weight.

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 11:14
LW.

C4

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 11:15
Personally, I'd go with as heavy as barrel as I could, in 11.5'' or 12.5''.

If I was going 16'' though, I'd run it lightweight.

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 11:18
Personally, I'd go with as heavy as barrel as I could, in 11.5'' or 12.5''.

Interesting. Why is that?

C4

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 11:23
I'm more comfortable with short barrels, 12.5'' is my favorite profile, and I normally run my rifles suppressed.

I could be wrong, but thicker barrels would provide me with a gun that wouldn't heat up as fast and would be more rigid.

The barrel IMO, is the weakest part of the AR platform. If you can make it thick. Do it. I like shooting my LWRCi more than my KAC for yet another reason, because my KAC barrel heats up really fast.

LWRCi doesn't because it has a thick barrel on it.

Also... M4 barrel cuts are retarded.

Karcas
05-13-10, 11:29
My lower is finished and now it is time to purchase my upper. Should I get a BCM 16" middie lightweight or standard weight barrel? This will be my only carbine for the next couple of years, and I plan on shooting it often. This will be for a class next year and for defense purposes. Thanks.

If it was me, I'd go for the LW barrel and some DD rails.

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 12:42
I'm more comfortable with short barrels, 12.5'' is my favorite profile, and I normally run my rifles suppressed.

I could be wrong, but thicker barrels would provide me with a gun that wouldn't heat up as fast and would be more rigid.

The barrel IMO, is the weakest part of the AR platform. If you can make it thick. Do it. I like shooting my LWRCi more than my KAC for yet another reason, because my KAC barrel heats up really fast.

LWRCi doesn't because it has a thick barrel on it.

Also... M4 barrel cuts are retarded.

I like SBR's are well (10.5 is what I run). There are no issues with short barrels and cans on a semi-auto weapon.

C4

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 13:04
It could be me being delusional, but when I run suppressors, my barrels (at least the KAC 11.5'' light (kinda) barrel) heats up a lot faster.

When I run my heavier barrelled LWRCi it runs pretty damn cool.

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 13:35
It could be me being delusional, but when I run suppressors, my barrels (at least the KAC 11.5'' light (kinda) barrel) heats up a lot faster.

When I run my heavier barrelled LWRCi it runs pretty damn cool.

Your barrel getting hot really isn't an issue as sem-auto fire cannot get them hot enough to cause any issues.

C4

tr1kstanc3
05-13-10, 13:42
This:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20ddox9.htm

or, This:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-mid-16lw%20vtrx11.htm

The VTAC is a good FF rail. I would pick it over the Omega configuration primarily because of weight and size. If you need alot of rail space for lights, lasers, grips, then the Omega is a better option.

rob_s
05-13-10, 13:54
or, This:

This

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM-URG-MID-16LW%20VTRX11-2.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 14:38
Your barrel getting hot really isn't an issue as sem-auto fire cannot get them hot enough to cause any issues.

C4

Are heavier barrels more rigid/accurate?

I can pull tighter groups on my M6A3 than on my SR-15, I don't know if it's the difference in trigger, or the barrel.

ForTehNguyen
05-13-10, 14:46
I received my BCM Mid Length upper (Standard Profile) earlier this week, I fired it yesterday, not as much as I would've liked but.

I like the Standard Profile, for my uses, they work great.

Does anybody know the difference in the weights of the barrels?

Just out of curiosity.

I believe BCM stated its around 4 lighter. Keep in mind this is weight taken off the end of the barrel, shifting the balance of the weapon a lot towards the shooter. Taking off the weight off the end of the barrel, makes it feel like more was taken off.

I have both standard and LW BCM middys and you can feel the difference.

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 16:09
Are heavier barrels more rigid/accurate?

I can pull tighter groups on my M6A3 than on my SR-15, I don't know if it's the difference in trigger, or the barrel.

Yes (more rigid). There are too many things that alter accuracy to say it is the barrel.

The M16A1's had pencil barrels and I believe the SCAR has a pencil barrel. Any these guns a FA capable.

I personally only shoot Govt profile (on the high end) and prefer pencil's if possible.

C4

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 16:10
What barrel makers do you prefer?

I currently run LWRCi, and KAC stock barrels, and have backup Noveske 12.5'' Crusader barrels for when I shoot those out.

C4IGrant
05-13-10, 16:13
What barrel makers do you prefer?

I currently run LWRCi, and KAC stock barrels, and have backup Noveske 12.5'' Crusader barrels for when I shoot those out.

I like the FN hammer forged barrels a lot. So BCM and Noveske are going to be my two favorites for chrome lined.

C4

SeriousStudent
05-13-10, 17:13
I have a 16" "standard profile" profile BCM middy, and just assembled a 16" pencil middy upper with Grant and Paul's help.

I am now a huge fan of the lightweight middy. :D

Much, much faster target acquisition, less "oversteer", and it's just a pleasure with the reduced weight.

If you see the carbine that Grant built for Ken Hackthorn, that is basically what I have. I used a Magpul CTR on mine, since I had that sitting around. The other parts are the same.

I'm keeping the other upper, it balances great with a UBR stock.

Dos Cylindros
05-13-10, 19:14
I recently built up my old patrol carbine with a new BCM LW middy upper with the Daniel Defense 12.0 lite rail. I really like the LW setup. I added my light, VFG, AAC brakeout comp M4 and a UBR stock. With the long rail, and accessories out front the UBR balances fine and overall the carbine is 9.5 lbs. with a fully loaded magazine. I really like the LW uppers.

01tundra
05-14-10, 09:11
I love the feel of my 16" LW - light and very well balanced :cool:.

Magic_Salad0892
05-14-10, 09:34
I like the FN hammer forged barrels a lot. So BCM and Noveske are going to be my two favorites for chrome lined.

C4

FN Hammer forged barrels?

How did you get those?

You should post a link or PM me.

Magic_Salad0892
05-14-10, 09:40
Double post.

C4IGrant
05-14-10, 09:48
FN Hammer forged barrels?

How did you get those?

You should post a link or PM me.

Noveske and BCM. ;)

C4

LAWMAN34
05-14-10, 10:29
LMT upper or the Adams Arms Piston Upper

sammage
05-14-10, 11:12
I love the feel of my 16" LW - light and very well balanced :cool:.

Exactly what I like about my BCM LW middy. The extra sight radius and forearm length are just gravy.

Magic_Salad0892
05-14-10, 11:33
Noveske and BCM. ;)

C4

Wait when you say ''FN hammer forged barrels'' are you referring to the company FN?

Or am I ignorant to something?

Belmont31R
05-14-10, 11:35
Wait when you say ''FN hammer forged barrels'' are you referring to the company FN?

Or am I ignorant to something?

There are only a few companies in the US who hammer forge barrels. Its a very expensive machine, and no way relatively small shops like BCM and Noveske could do it on their own.

Thus they buy barrels in various states of various finish from companies like FN.

Magic_Salad0892
05-14-10, 11:49
I did not know that. :)

I wish I they would produce their own damn AR-15s.

I would love an FNH marked AR.

C4IGrant
05-14-10, 11:50
I did not know that. :)

I wish I they would produce their own damn AR-15s.

I would love an FNH marked AR.

I think you might be the only one on the net that did not realize this. :D

C4

Magic_Salad0892
05-14-10, 11:57
So now everybody knows?

Awesome.

Thanks for teaching me something new. :)

Belmont31R
05-14-10, 12:03
FNH cannot sell AR's to us lowly civilians as part of their contract to make M16A4's for the military. Otherwise they'd have done it years ago.

Magic_Salad0892
05-14-10, 12:12
I know they can't. (Though I didn't know it was part of their contract.)

I thought they were making A4s and M4A1s?

I wonder if you can find any pictures of FN marked lowers. That would be a sweeet rollmark.

I'd sell a KAC lower for that. :)

jeffy351
05-15-10, 23:52
I have a BCM standard mid-length and a BCM Stainless steel mid-length.I love them both,but I will be adding the BCM LW middy soon!

wild_wild_wes
05-16-10, 00:50
Noveske and BCM. ;)

C4

And....Centurion?

wild_wild_wes
05-16-10, 00:56
Yes (more rigid).
The M16A1's had pencil barrels and I believe the SCAR has a pencil barrel. Any these guns a FA capable.

I personally only shoot Govt profile (on the high end) and prefer pencil's if possible.

C4

I remember in boot camo at Camp Pendleton, shooting my M16A1 at a 55 gallon oil drum, on a hillside 500m away, during a squad firepower demo during the infantry training period....dinging that thing round after round, with a "pencil" barreled iron sighted rilfe made me a believer.

Love me the pencil! I just bought a DD 14.5" Carbine barrel and look forward to adding a 16" Middy to the armory. CHF all the way too....

BWT
05-16-10, 01:53
So I spent about 5-10 minutes of google searching and forum browsing and I'm still curious.

I realize a lot of people advocate one way or another, I advocate a certain way, but really, that's my needs, better is relative to what your end objective is, is what I've ultimately realized about firearms.

That being said, I searched all over Bravo Company's website, I even found that you can purchase a midlength Light weight barrel

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Barrel-Stripped-LIGHT-WEIGHT-p/bcm-brl-mid-16lw%20std.htm

I simply can not find the weight numbers of the barrel, or really, any barrels.

I have a BCM Midlength upper with regular (ETA: I take that back they're just regular Mid Length Handguards, I have no idea the manufacturer... I don't know what possess me to say M4 Cav Arms Handguards.) , I'll weigh it if someone else will weigh their similarily set up BCM Midlength upper in a lightweight barrel. (I'll take off the handguards)

I mean I figure if you're going to go lightweight, how light are we talking?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM%2DURG%2DMID%2D16LW

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-mid-16.htm

You know? Ideally I'd want them both weighed on the same scale, but...

What gives? I don't mean to keep nitpicking or seem combative over this, but it seems... kind of funny to say the least, given the circumstances of specifically wanting to save weight, trimming the barrel profile, how much weight are you saving?

To me, I would have to know before I could decide whether or not it was worth the time and money.

4 ounces? 6? 8?

I guess I don't see other manufacturers releasing their numbers... maybe that's an industry thing?

Am I in the dark here?

thopkins22
05-16-10, 02:01
What gives? I don't mean to keep nitpicking or seem combative over this, but it seems... kind of funny to say the least, given the circumstances of specifically wanting to save weight, trimming the barrel profile, how much weight are you saving?

To me, I would have to know before I could decide whether or not it was worth the time and money.

4 ounces? 6? 8?

Take something that only weighs a few ounces and tape it onto the end of your barrel and see if the leverage is negligible. Out in front of the fulcrum point small savings feel much more significant.

rob_s
05-16-10, 07:14
48.8 oz. - 45.2 oz. = 3.6 oz.

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/tacticalyellowvisor/Reviews/Firearms%20and%20Accessories/BCM%20TandEs/WEIGHT-STANDARDUPPER.jpg

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq10/tacticalyellowvisor/Reviews/Firearms%20and%20Accessories/BCM%20TandEs/WEIGHT-LWUPPER.jpg

ForTehNguyen
05-16-10, 08:05
if you want more lightweight the carbines LW will be lighter since theres more barrel forward of the sight post to be milled off. I think DD posted and said its about a 6oz difference. But personally id rather have the middy.

rob_s
05-16-10, 08:31
I am hopeful that someone with one of the new Colt 6720s will weigh it in a condition similar to the above and post at some point. It gets difficult, however, because some makers use a .625" gas block and others use the larger .750". There are pros and cons of each barrel-length/gas-tube-length/gas-block-size.

I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I have a chart tracking many of these barrels. :cool:

BWT
05-16-10, 12:08
Take something that only weighs a few ounces and tape it onto the end of your barrel and see if the leverage is negligible. Out in front of the fulcrum point small savings feel much more significant.

I understand the concept, I was just curious what the literal numbers were.

Thanks for the info rob.

ETA: Also I'm not trying to bash or say lightweight projects don't have a place or that they are gimmicky, but if I were in the market for a Lightweight upper, I'd want to know what the differences between each were, and which was the lightest and the specifics of each, etc.

thopkins22
05-16-10, 14:45
I understand the concept, I was just curious what the literal numbers were.

Thanks for the info rob.

ETA: Also I'm not trying to bash or say lightweight projects don't have a place or that they are gimmicky, but if I were in the market for a Lightweight upper, I'd want to know what the differences between each were, and which was the lightest and the specifics of each, etc.

Fair enough, and I agree on knowing the differences. Being able to make informed purchases is one of the main reasons sights like M4C exist.

Skyyr
05-16-10, 15:12
And....Centurion?

Yes, Centurion as well (or at least it is heavily speculated based on specs that they originate from FNH).

Buckeye0311
06-08-10, 10:19
Ordered my upper from Grant yesterday!!!! Thanks to everyone who provided info. I will post pics when I get it. Semper Fi

DTHN2LGS
06-08-10, 15:05
This is the next BCM 16" Middy upper I want to get:

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-BFH-Mid-Length-Upper-Receiver-LaRue-p/bcm-urg-mid-16%20bfh%20lt12.htm

I currently have the Std. 16" Middy with a DD Omega 9.0 rail on it.

dancinzen@hotmail.com
06-08-10, 18:37
if this was gonna be my only ar i would get a middy in standard weight for accuracy if anything!

C4IGrant
06-08-10, 18:55
if this was gonna be my only ar i would get a middy in standard weight for accuracy if anything!

Do you believe that pencil barrels are not accurate?

C4