PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 SPC Chamber Reamer to Spec 2

Rayrevolver
05-13-10, 13:46
Anyone have a 6.8 reamer that they could let me borrow? I will be happy to pay a fee with cash or mags!

I am new to the 6.8 game and picked up an older 10.5" upper with a SAAMI-spec chamber. I would like the flexibility to run the tactical SSA ammo so I need to ream this chamber.

Cheers

Ray

Robb Jensen
05-13-10, 14:33
I don't lend my tools out but I could ream your barrel for you. It needs to be attached to the upper you want to use it with.

rocketman
05-13-10, 14:35
Go to 68forums.com and get on their list. They have a couple being passed around over there

VLODPG
05-13-10, 18:53
Go to 68forums.com and get on their list. They have a couple being passed around over there

You are better off getting with gotm4 & having him do it. I was waiting for a reamer to come around & some guys there were less than honorable.

There are a few reamers that did not get back to their owners. That is a hell of a thank you for those who loaned their tools out! :(

Rayrevolver
05-14-10, 13:35
Thanks guys!

I might have to take you up on that GotM4. I'll be heading to MD soon so I might as well check out the shop.

That sucks about the lost tools. Never happen with the M4C crew! :p

Robb Jensen
05-14-10, 14:17
Thanks guys!

I might have to take you up on that GotM4. I'll be heading to MD soon so I might as well check out the shop.

That sucks about the lost tools. Never happen with the M4C crew! :p

If you stop by the shop it's all of a 1min job.
Later,
Robb

Artos
05-14-10, 16:19
do folks do this if the chamber is chromed??

pro's / cons??

Robb Jensen
05-14-10, 17:33
do folks do this if the chamber is chromed??

pro's / cons??

The reamer is harder, no scatch that A LOT harder than the chrome. It does remove a little from the neck and throat to bring it to SPC II specs. FWIW as someone who bore scoped a few dozen barrels with more than 1-5K rounds on them I've noticed the chrome is gone in the neck and throat just from shooting. Not so on BCM BFH barrels, and Noveske N4 hammer forged barrels, also notice that those two brands don't need reaming nor does Colt. Some companies know how to make barrels properly others...well not so much.

Pros:
1. Gun works
2. No popped primers
3. No extraction problems
4. Gun with functions with all available ammo

Cons:
1.Slightly less accurate, due to a looser neck and throat which is the exact same reason why 5.56mm NATO chambers are less accurate than .223 Rem MATCH chambers. Super tight accuracy or reliability it's your choice.
If you're shooting an Aimpoint or a low powered scope (1-6x) you're not going to notice the decreased accuracy at all.

I even reamed my stainless 16" midlength 1x11 twist WOA barrel on my 6.8 SPC Hunting AR. After reaming FF'd with with a VTAC/Troy TRX 11" rail and a Leupold 1-4x scope in a Bobro mount it shoots just a tad over .75" groups at 100yds with SSA 110gr Barnes TSX rounds and my AAC .30 cal Cyclone suppressor and .85" groups with nothing on the muzzle. I shot it for groups with that scope but an Aimpoint C3 lives on that gun now. I might have even done better with a higher powered scope.
Did I mention that gun works and works with all available ammo?

Dr Dues
05-14-10, 19:56
You are better off getting with gotm4 & having him do it. I was waiting for a reamer to come around & some guys there were less than honorable.

There are a few reamers that did not get back to their owners. That is a hell of a thank you for those who loaned their tools out! :(

YES, it is very sad when you try to help your fellow shooting compatriots and are left hanging in the wind.

Spooky130
05-15-10, 10:41
I don't lend my tools out but I could ream your barrel for you. It needs to be attached to the upper you want to use it with.

Why is that? Could I send just my 6.8 MRP barrel?

Spooky

Robb Jensen
05-15-10, 10:52
V
Why is that? Could I send just my 6.8 MRP barrel?

Spooky

That's just the way the reamer works it centers itself within the receiver.