PDA

View Full Version : Underrated.

SW-Shooter
05-13-10, 16:20
I will be the first to tell you that I couldn't stand him in his earlier Titanic days. But I think one of the most underrated
actors is Leonardo Decaprio. I think he did a great job in The gangs of New York, Blood Diamond, Body of lies, and Shutter Isalnd. But now he has a new movie called Inception http://inceptionmovie.warnerbros.com/, which looks promising.

SteyrAUG
05-13-10, 16:43
Actually he is very overrated but finally starting to come into his own.

MarshallDodge
05-13-10, 16:43
I never saw Titanic or any of the other movies you mentioned but thought he was really good in Aviator and Catch Me If You Can.

SW-Shooter
05-13-10, 17:08

I disagree, the role he played in Blood Diamond was perfect, I can only imagine getting the dialect down took some work. In Body of Lies, he really brought you into his character.

It takes a lot to get me really into a movie, but when I saw Body of Lies in the theater, I felt like I needed a Xanax after the RPG chase scene. I've never had a reaction like that in any movie, it was engrossing to say the least.

austinN4
05-13-10, 17:10
Hmmmmmm, a Christopher Nolan movie - looks interesting. 2 of my favorites are Insomnia and Memento.

Palmguy
05-13-10, 18:19
Don't forget The Departed...great movie.

Abraxas
05-13-10, 18:34
Don't forget The Departed...great movie.

I think that departed was his best movie and tied for second blood diamond and body of lies. To bad he is a liberal douche.

rickrock305
05-13-10, 18:36
my opinion, he's a decent actor that gets great roles in great movies.

dmanflynn
05-13-10, 18:47
I think that departed was his best movie and tied for second blood diamond and body of lies. To bad he is a liberal douche.

Why is that always the case? Good actors end up being liberals or "scientologists":rolleyes: I guess thats just the popular thing in california. Oh well, at least the Duke and Clint Eastwood aren't/weren't:D

DaBears_85
05-13-10, 20:00

I heard from some news outlet once that he was a huge asshole. According to them when he goes to restaurants he won't talk to the wait staff and refuses to make eye contact with them. Instead he has some assistant or something act as an intermediary of sorts. Not sure as to the validity of said claims but he looks like a douche, so I believe it.

He was good in the Departed, as was Mark Wahlberg. Apparently they're making a sequel that is centered around Wahlbergs character.

I went and saw Titanic with my gf at the time and seriously considered going into the bathroom during the movie and ripping the hand dryer off the wall and beating myself to death with it. Why did it have to be 8 hours long! At the end when he drowned you could hear me laughing in the back of the theatre. That was the end of that relationship.

militarymoron
05-13-10, 21:05
cool - a SCAR at the end of the trailer.

SteyrAUG
05-13-10, 22:47
I disagree, the role he played in Blood Diamond was perfect, I can only imagine getting the dialect down took some work. In Body of Lies, he really brought you into his character.

It takes a lot to get me really into a movie, but when I saw Body of Lies in the theater, I felt like I needed a Xanax after the RPG chase scene. I've never had a reaction like that in any movie, it was engrossing to say the least.

Let me try it again.

What I am saying is he was "overrated" meaning that he was being treated as this brilliant actor when all he did was passable roles in stuff like Titanic and complete dreck like The Beach.

His first significant role was in the Aviator where I think he did a wonderful job and finally began to approach the level of skill commensurate with his celebrity status.

I also personally liked "Catch Me If You Can" but it's not like DiCaprio made or broke the film.

And like you I think he did a really good job on The Departed, Body of Lies and Blood Diamonds. And he is finally getting good enough to justify the celebrity status he was given long ago.

That is what I was trying to say earlier. That said, I'm not sure he's a Top Ten actor yet.

Similarly Mark Wahlberg has come a long way. Who'd have believed that in 1995 when both these guys were in The Basketball Diaries?

SteyrAUG
05-13-10, 22:51
my opinion, he's a decent actor that gets great roles in great movies.

As is often the case, but I slightly disagree in this case. The Aviator was a make it or break it film that hinged upon DiCaprio pulling it off. I was extremely skeptical of the kid from Titanic being capable of that but have to admit he did it and then some.

Of course nearly perfect casting for every other role didn't hurt the film either.

bobvila
05-13-10, 23:14
I like the basketball diaries.

Magic_Salad0892
05-13-10, 23:24
Blood Diamond was amazing. :)

Even if he's a liberal I still like him.

SpeedRacer
05-13-10, 23:28
I wouldn't say he was ever overrated. Hell...his first major role was Arnie in What's Eating Gilbert Grape. I had never seen him before and thought he was actually retarded. Now that's good acting! :D

He's had plenty of crappy roles in crappy movies since then, but I don't think he's ever done a bad job playing a role.

That said I do agree he's a liberal douchebag. But if I boycotted every movie starring liberal douchebags, I wouldn't get to watch any movies.

obucina
05-13-10, 23:33

I hate movie theaters, but got Body of Lies on blu-ray, the whole frickin movie is engrossing on 50 inches of 1080p Sony greatness! I thought the interrogation scene at the end was incredible.

SW-Shooter
05-14-10, 02:04
I get what your saying Mr. AUG. I also happen to like Gerard Butler, and Timothy Olyphant and would like to see them get some serious big budget action parts.

Leo is starring in Aquaman, which is not a joke.

SteyrAUG
05-14-10, 22:14
I like the basketball diaries.

It wasn't a bad film, just not terribly significant.

It was kinda like Heathers but with guys.

:D

SteyrAUG
05-14-10, 22:16
Leo is starring in Aquaman, which is not a joke.

Who knows, maybe he will pull it off. The first Spiderman was actually rather impressive. Of course Spiderman is a much more developed character.

RogerinTPA
05-15-10, 08:09

Agreed. The trailer looks pretty interesting.

I consider "blood diamonds" his first hetero film and "the departed" his second. :D

LegalAlien
05-15-10, 15:56
I disagree, the role he played in Blood Diamond was perfect, I can only imagine getting the dialect down took some work. . . . . . .

Doing that "dialect" is easy . . . . it comes 'naturally' to me :D

chuckman
05-16-10, 10:37
I liked him in blood diamond. A South African accent is hard to pull off. I liked Catch Me If You Can, too.

parishioner
05-16-10, 19:52
I particularly liked him in the departed, blood diamond, and shutter island. Shutter island was great in theaters.