PDA

View Full Version : SureFire Forearm Installation Questions

SmokeJumper
05-13-10, 16:49
Ok, got a new SF LED forearm for my work Remington 870. For the life of me, I can't get that nut on the forearm/action bar assembly where the slots line up in a horizontal position when tightened down (horizontal position when looking straight down the business end into the forearm over the magazine tube), as recommended. You guys have any tips for this? I saw Brownells has a T-wrench tool for the forearm nut, but I didn't want to spend $50 on a tool, I was using the wrench supplied from SureFire.
Also, a few colleagues recommended a drop of blue locktite on the threads or a strip of teflon tape (plumbers tape) around the threads because the heavier SF forearms tend to vibrate the nut loose over time in vehicle racks. Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks for the assist!

Robb Jensen
05-13-10, 16:51
I use an aftermarket tool for installation, not that crap that Surefire includes.

SmokeJumper
05-13-10, 17:07
Can you point in the right direction to the tool you use, probably should just get it. Thanks

subzero
05-13-10, 19:22
The tool Surefire includes is just a copy of the plate the bolt slides on, which you can use as a forend removal tool in a pinch.

I prefer this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=723227

SmokeJumper
05-16-10, 16:27
I got the T-handled wrench from Brownells, worked like a charm. Thanks for the assist.

kdcgrohl
05-21-10, 15:06
I prefer this one: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=723227

I have one of these. Works great on my 870 & 500a.

Josh-L
05-30-10, 09:52
Who recommends that the slits line up horizontal? I just installed one on my 870 and didn't see that anywhere. I used the supplied tool and just tightened it down real tight. Do I need to pull it off and line these slots up?

Buck
05-30-10, 10:14
Who recommends that the slits line up horizontal? I just installed one on my 870 and didn't see that anywhere. I used the supplied tool and just tightened it down real tight. Do I need to pull it off and line these slots up?

No... Tight is fine...

B

SmokeJumper
06-02-10, 16:17

This was recommended to me by a Remington Armorer, when I asked, he said the reason was that if one of the slots lined up over the magazine tube and not in the forearm, it could rub and cause an issue when working the action. Looks like there would be plenty of clearance either way. I figured that they were horizontal from the factory, so I would try and get 'em lined up horizontal. My biggest concern was getting it good and tight as mine sits in a vehicle mounted rack and gets a lot of vibration.