PDA

View Full Version : Troy Industries "Claymore" brake reviews???

nickdrak
05-14-10, 02:53
Guys,

Anyone here have hands-on with the new Troy Claymore muzzle device?

I am considering a new upper build and I was thinking of permanently attaching one of the Claymore brakes on a 14.5" BCM middy for use as a CQB/Entry gun. My main concern is the concussion blast out of the side of say, a Surefire brake, and this thing looks to work similarly to a Krink in that it blows all of the concussion straight forward and away from other friendlies during indoor activities.

Just curious if anyone has any range time with one yet....

Neo Mara
05-22-10, 23:25
Bump for interest as well..

BMWguy206
06-21-10, 14:57
Hey guys!

I have the Troy Claymore muzzle brake on my DDM4 but before I installed it I had a 5C2 flash hider. I got rid of the flash hider because it kicked up too much dirt in the urban prone position.

I have used my DDM4 with the Troy Claymore MB on 2 different days back to back. 1st time was just 50yrds shooting and at first I didn't really think of anything since I was shooting on bench. 2nd day was on a tactical rifle/carbine course. On that day I could really noticed the felt recoil pushing me back a bit when standing and I also noticed some muzzle rise. It could be just my stance but I know I was leaning forward. It is also a tad louder.

I can tell you though I had no dirt kicking up during prone and urban prone position.

If you're going to buy one for CQB use then buy it since the blast is directly forward.

m1a_scoutguy
06-22-10, 00:34
I agree with BMWguy206,,I have a Claymore on my 14.5 DD BBL and it works OK, recoil push & muzzle rise is more than with other MB,,but the GOOD trade off is no nasty side blast,,all the blast & noise goes out the front,,it is quite bearable,,:) I'll keep it on for a while,,but I mite switch it out down the road,,time will tell !!

rapomstage3
08-27-10, 07:26
I have the claymore on a 14.5 and definetly did notice it pushes you back more than others.But i love it.After properly standing and getting a pos grip i can get follow up shots much faster. i did not seem to get any muzzle rise.also the flame that this thing throws is awesome.It's pretty obvious it was designed for CQB.It would be bad if your were in the front of the barrel anyway..but with the claymore it's devastating ..i imagine.
I cut the spikes off mine.
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad301/rapomstage3/SDC10297.jpg

Colt556
02-07-14, 10:57
Old thread but I'll add my 2 cents since there isnt a ton of info out there on this Brake.

Here is my review:

After 500 rounds I have mixed feelings about the Troy Claymore.
Fit and finish: A+ the manufacturing seems to be well done, and the finish matched my barrel nicely. When I installed it, the logo was supposed to end up straight up and it did line up perfectly.

Ability to push blast and noise forward: A+ This thing really does make it quieter to the rear and side of the barrel. People noticed it immediately at the range. I give it high marks for reducing noise and blast for the shooter and those to the right and left. I shoot at an enclosed range so any blast that goes up and to the side ends up deflecting right back at me. I dont shoot prone, but assume it would have a significantly reduced dust signature when shooting prone

Muzzle Brake effectiveness: C This is sold as a muzzle brake but I dont notice any difference from the $10 A2 muzzle device. It certainly isnt worse, but its not any better. If all you want is a muzzle brake, I think you could spend your money more wisely. I still dont understand how a linear muzzle brake works when all of the blast goes out the front. After significant time researching on the internet, I couldnt find any info that spells out how a linear compensator works..or if it works. It seems intuitive that for recoil and muzzle jump to be reduced, the blast needs to be redirected some other direction than straight up.

Glass breaker/non-lethal motivator: A+ The spikes on the front do a great job of breaking glass (sorry but havent tried it I have to trust Youtube), and if you poke someone with this thing it would get their attention.
Cool factor: A+ Many people dont care since a Carbine is a survival tool not a show pony but I admit I like the look of the Troy Claymore a whole lot better than a standard A2 muzzle device.

Overall, as a muzzle brake it is mediocre. If it was renamed a "Forward sound and blast deflector" or something like that, it would probably be a more accurate description. It also puts a large fireball out the front, so I wouldn't recommend this for night shooting. I am keeping the Troy Claymore on my carbine, but knowing what I know now before purchase I would have gone with something else.

PS- There was a significant change to my point of impact after installing the Claymore. After correcting for the shift with my red dot and iron sights, accuracy is excellent and consistent with all ammo.

My two cents

skyeboy
02-09-14, 20:19
i have their midevil flash suppressor and was wondering the dif between that ans this

discreet
02-09-14, 20:23
i have their midevil flash suppressor and was wondering the dif between that ans this

They are completely different designs. Yours is a flash hider with an open end. This is a comp that directs the blast forward. The front is honeycomb'd per say thus where the "comp" ordeal comes from. Look at a pic of both and you will see they aren't even remotely alike.

The medevil brake (not the flash hider) is basically a claymore with slats cut out of the side for flash compression and a different front end.

skyeboy
02-09-14, 20:39
yea i feel like the effects from it are minimal,it sounds good though;)

thei3ug
02-10-14, 00:26
This thing flashes bright. It is not as loud as an A2 to the shooter or the guy next to him. Other than that I found nothing about it. It's sitting in a parts bin somewhere.

Colt556
02-10-14, 12:06
This thing flashes bright. It is not as loud as an A2 to the shooter or the guy next to him. Other than that I found nothing about it. It's sitting in a parts bin somewhere.
Would you dig it out of the parts bin and sell it to me? One of my friends is envious of the Claymore and I can give it to him if you are willing to sell it. Thanks