PDA

View Full Version : Will a bipod attached to a non free floated rail affect accuracy?

ghostman1960
05-14-10, 07:04
I am considering a bipod adapter to attach to my Troy non free floated mid length rail system.

I think I remember reading somewhere that accuracy would suffer because of the upward pressure exerted on the barrel.

I can't see how there would be any more upward pressure exerted on it than shooting from a sandbag rest.

I am kind of new to the AR system so I am probably wrong. Can anyone set me straight about using a bipod on a non free float rail?

ghostman1960
05-14-10, 15:46
No one here has any idea?

Belmont31R
05-14-10, 18:23
It can affect harmonics of the barrel otherwise your biggest worry would be uneven pressure. With any non-FF rail things like different sling pressure, bi-pod pressure in this case, etc can vary from shot to shot. Im not a math guy but even 1/16" of barrel movement will have a noticeable impact at range.

ALCOAR
05-14-10, 18:35
Non FF with bipod = Shift in POI

Just_Plain_T.
05-14-10, 19:14
Related question/thought:

I understand that bipod versus no bipod will alter POI.

Here's my thought -- wouldn't the bipod, assuming it hasn't been moved (left on the same part of the handguard), consistently alter the POI?

What I'm saying is - if you keep the bipod on the rifle, would the altered POI be consistent enough that you could adjust your sights and compensate for it?

rljatl
05-14-10, 19:54
It's not just the fact that the bi-pod is on the rail. It's the pressure imparted to the barrel via the bi-pod and rail. Unlikely that the pressure will be equal from shot to shot.

Bi-pods are sometimes "loaded" by putting forward and downward pressure on the rifle. This varies from shot to shot. Sometimes bi-pods are not loaded, which of course means the pressure on the barrel would be different.

Try it and see if you can make the point of impact change. Take off the bi-pod and shoot the rifle from no rest (off hand), soft rest, and hard rest. Then add the bi-pod and try various scenarios.

4thPointOfContact
05-14-10, 20:02
If you can guarantee that you will always load the bipod with the same amount of pressure, then it might not shift the POI too much in any random direction. The experience I've had with them is that unless they are affixed in a way Not to affect the barrel then they're more trouble than their worth.

G_M
05-14-10, 20:12
I am sure some pressure on the barrel will effect POI.

I am wondering more about how much that POI would change as the barrel heats up and you have pressure being applied to it.

Cameron
05-14-10, 20:23
Why don't you take it to the range and let us know the results?

Cameron