PDA

View Full Version : Vtac 11"/shaved FSB

parishioner
05-14-10, 13:07
I'm wondering if the 11" trx extreme rail will fully cover a shaved fsb on a midlength. I just got one in and I'm eyeballing it and it looks like it may not or just barely cover it.

Anyone know or have any pics?

Thanks.

David Thomas
05-14-10, 13:26
The old Vtac covers it for sure. Not sure about the Troy VTAC, but do not know why it wouldn't.

parishioner
05-14-10, 13:45
Thanks, I don't see why it wouldn't either but since they are two different manufacturers they may be slightly different. You would think all shoe sizes would be the same too. I just want to make sure it does, if not I'll just add a low profile. I've read the fsb is one of the more secure gas blocks so I wanted to keep it if fits.

SeriousStudent
05-14-10, 17:45
I have a BCM pencil middy upper. I had the FSB removed (Thanks, Paul!), and then shaved it down with a Dremel myself.

I then mounted a Troy Extreme 11" Battlerail that covers the FSB completely.

My camera-fu sucks, but it does no protrude at all.

HTH

parishioner
05-14-10, 21:18
I have a BCM pencil middy upper. I had the FSB removed (Thanks, Paul!), and then shaved it down with a Dremel myself.

I then mounted a Troy Extreme 11" Battlerail that covers the FSB completely.

My camera-fu sucks, but it does no protrude at all.

HTH

Thank you sir.

SeriousStudent
05-14-10, 22:46
You are very welcome.

I will warn you, I was not able to remove the pins on the FSB myself. I had to send it back to BCM for them to do it. They were quite helpful and fast, and charged me a very reasonable fee. I've never had anything but awesome service from BCM.

You may want to save yourself some trouble, and see if you can order one already assembled with the rail from Paul. In retrospect, that is what I would have done.

But it is nice to have the piece of mind, with a shaved and pinned FSB.

Good luck with your carbine, I love how mine handles. It's my favorite of the six now.

parishioner
05-14-10, 23:30
You are very welcome.

I will warn you, I was not able to remove the pins on the FSB myself. I had to send it back to BCM for them to do it. They were quite helpful and fast, and charged me a very reasonable fee. I've never had anything but awesome service from BCM.

You may want to save yourself some trouble, and see if you can order one already assembled with the rail from Paul. In retrospect, that is what I would have done.

But it is nice to have the piece of mind, with a shaved and pinned FSB.

Good luck with your carbine, I love how mine handles. It's my favorite of the six now.

Yea, in retrospect I should have just bought the upper with a rail but I was too anxious, it was during obama mania and the noveske's were going quick. I'm assessing right now if I want to take on the task. A part of me wants to do it myself to have the learning experience and satisfaction of doing your own work but another part wants to just send it off and let a professional take care of it. I don't have all the necessary tools or the barrel nut wrench. Apparently the Vtac extreme rails don't come with the wrench while the Troy's do. Go figure.

Do you think BCM would accept work like that even though I didn't buy the upper from them?

If not, I may talk to Robb. I've heard many good things about his fsb shave jobs.

SeriousStudent
05-15-10, 08:48
Twin brothers of different mothers. :D

I was exactly the same. I got the email notification from Paul that BCM had them in stock, and 15 minutes later I had one ordered. I had already planned on what I was going to build, I was just waiting for the parts.

Then BCM did have the complete upper for sale.

And you can get a good barrel nut wrench for $25, and a action block for the same.

And Robb does awesome work. He's mounted a DD rail for me on my 6920, and has a pair of Glocks from me right now.

Dump1567
05-15-10, 11:18
This.

send it off and let a professional take care of it

I recently shaved one to put a DD Omega rail over it. I left it on the barrel. Took forever and was a pain. Wouldn't do another that way. Better to just replace with a low profile block.

I still regret not doing it the right way.

If you don't have the tools or lack the skill, I would send it to a professional. Especially if this is your go to gun. Plenty of good shops to use.

http://adcofirearms.com/shopservices/

SeriousStudent
05-15-10, 11:36
Steve at ADCO is very good.

He threaded a Colt ban-era barrel for me, so I could mount a flash hider on it. The work was perfect, and a Colt factory A2 flash hider went on smooth as glass.

His turn-around time was really quick. I shipped it to him UPS, and had it back in my grubby little paws seven days later. :D