PDA

View Full Version : Using "LE" marked ammo for self defense

mkemmerl
05-14-10, 13:53
I searched around the forums and did not find anything on this subject.

Are there any negatives in a civilian using ammo marked "LE" in a self defense situation? I typically carry Gold Dots, but I buy the LE boxes when I can simply due to the pricing - 50 is almost the same price as 20. I know there are quite a few people carrying Ranger-T and HST's as well and have always been curious if there were any potential legal ramifications should a non-LEO actually have to use them.

TOrrock
05-14-10, 13:59
Total non issue.

sammage
05-14-10, 15:15
Total non issue.

Agreed. If you're really paranoid, you could always use the same as your local LE uses.

Steve in PA
05-14-10, 19:44
Agreed. If you're really paranoid, you could always use the same as your local LE uses.

And if your really, really paranoid.....you'll be accused of being a police wannabe because you are trying to be just like them!!

In all seriousness, its a non-issue.

markm
05-14-10, 20:18
If you're involved in a bad shoot, any and everything could possibly be used to make you look bad.... really depends on which prosecutor wants to make his name at your expense.

Harold Fisch, here in AZ, was screwed over by some peckerhead prosecutor for using a 10mm pistol which was "more powerful than what the police carry".

That said, I'd never select defensive ammo with political correctness in mind.

Oscar 319
05-14-10, 21:28
I bet if you looked around your house you may find an AR15 receiver or magazine marked "Restricted Law Enforcement/Government Use Only" too.

Lawful? Yes. Could an attorney make an issue of it in a lawsuit? Yep. Should you worry about it? Nope.

markm
05-15-10, 16:12
It boils down the shoot being good or not. My home D gun is an SBR loaded with LE ammo in a high cap mag.

CAN it be used against you? Yes. Do I give a shit? No.

TY44934
05-19-10, 08:43
And if your really, really paranoid.....you'll be accused of being a police wannabe because you are trying to be just like them!!

In all seriousness, its a non-issue.

SHOCKED that you would say that about our public safety officers!

Repeat after me (practice for the jury): "I used the same DEFENSIVE ammunition that our local PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICERS use to KEEP THE PUBLIC SAFE and PROTECT FAMILIES, CHILDREN, AND THEMSELVES from DANGEROUS CRIMINALS."

Is that simple enough? Trust me, it CANNOT be too simple for the public at large.

Still doubt the importance of such semantics when it comes to personal defense? Then Google & read the history on these two nearly IDENTICAL rounds, but look at how PUBLIC PERCEPTION radically changed their fates:

"Glaser Safety Slug"

"Black Rhino Ammunition"

htxred
05-19-10, 09:58
i tend to use the LE marked boxes as a selling point, "usually ammo boxes marked LE are manufactured to a higher standard.." which usually does the trick in selling. :D

GermanSynergy
05-19-10, 15:20
As others have said it's pretty much a non issue.
However, having top notch legal representation in the aftermath of a self defense shooting is a must.

mkemmerl
05-19-10, 20:50
Thanks all for the insight.

goodoleboy
05-19-10, 21:12
Well, it's all about the lesser of two evils. I still think it's better to be tried by 12 than be carried by 6.

I pray I never get put in a situation where I would have to use my weapons/training, but I would be more comfortable being well-armed and well-trained than dead.

I don't know how the idea got started in this country that a guy that was forced to watch his wife and daughters get raped in front of his eyes only to get strangled by his belt is somehow morally superior to the guy trying to explain to the police why there is a dead guy at the front door.

BWT
05-23-10, 18:15
I take a simple view of defensive shootings and defensive ammo, etc.

Step 1: Survive the Incident.

Step 2: Worry about the Ramifications if you successfully complete Step 1, because it won't matter if you don't.

It's not a fair fight, and honestly, I'm worried about me and my family/loved ones surviving (I'm 22, but... I still live around family, etc.) the incident the most.

I mean at the end of the day, they can do/say whatever, but give yourself the best available means to defend yourself, IMHO.

That being said, where's the HST at?

Also, you can cite which Law Enforcement Agencies use them, etc. and say obviously they use them for all lawful purposes, and so do you.

If you find the wrong District Attorney, they're going to use the fact you killed someone (right or wrong) against you and go down the list from there.

I need to look into finding someone to have on hand to contact in case of a self-defense shooting, now that I think about it.