PDA

View Full Version : CAVARMS lower - nice or ratty?

500grains
05-15-10, 11:42
So I have been pursuing the idea of a LW AR15 with DD pencil barrel, and trying to figure out optimal configuration. As others here mentioned, use of a CAVARMS Calvary Arms lower helps to further reduce weight. However, I have not handled one in person. What are they like? Nice quality? Odd feel? Rough? Better than a McDonald's Happy Meal Toy? Input requested. :)

http://www.cavalryarms.com/galleries/CR/MKII/20.jpg

(No, yellow is not my preferred color.)

signal4l
05-15-10, 12:21
I owned one until a co worker shot it and had to have it. I set it up with a BM superlight barrel. It was a nice little carbine. Very lightweight. I had no problems with the lower and put about 1000rounds through it.

rychencop
05-15-10, 12:22
i just threw up.

justin_247
05-15-10, 12:45
W. T. F. ?

So a Colt 6520/6720 or a DD LW build is too heavy?

ForTehNguyen
05-15-10, 13:02
MkII lower is about .5 lbs lighter than an M4 + M4 stock lower and has A1 stock length. The building is a little different than a typical lower, youll have to do some shaving and filing in some areas, mainly the magwell. Build quality isnt perfect but it will hold up. Some reviewers have been using them in 3gun with no problems

500grains
05-15-10, 13:52
W. T. F. ?

The Colt 6520 that I looked at had some quality / workmanship problems, so sadly I crossed it off my list.

For uppers I am considering the DD LW factory upper build versus a variation of the nice builds offered by GR Tactical in the DD pencil barrel thread of this forum. But both require a lower. So I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to go with a CAVARMS to more weight reduction, or whether a regular lower is best.

Keep in mind that this will be shot by kids age 6-13 and a woman who does not bench press a whole lot. One thing that gives me pause about CAVARMS, in addition to the funky look and the somewhat rough quality mentioned above, is the A1 stock length. That is too long for a 6 y.o. kid, but a CAR butt when fully retracted is not. But the lighter the gun is, the sooner kids can start to shoot offhand with it.

seb5
05-15-10, 13:56
Qualifier, I've never had one. I have considered building one for my daughter to play with. I was under the impression the pivot and take down pins were different length and sometimes hard to find. Is there any truth to that?

tobasco
05-15-10, 14:10
build your own with rra entry short stock.

Stickman
05-15-10, 14:33
W. T. F. ?

It doesn't look like he said that. He is looking for the lighter options available, and this is certainly one of them. While it may be hard for some people to understand, novice shooters, especially smaller framed ones often have issue with the weight of weapons.

justin_247
05-15-10, 15:29
It doesn't look like he said that. He is looking for the lighter options available, and this is certainly one of them. While it may be hard for some people to understand, novice shooters, especially smaller framed ones often have issue with the weight of weapons.

Copy. Sorry if I upset anybody.

I'm a smaller framed person, so I, too, am always looking for ways to lighten things up. Just not a fan of polymer lowers, much less yellow ones.

justin_247
05-15-10, 15:31
The Colt 6520 that I looked at had some quality / workmanship problems, so sadly I crossed it off my list.

For uppers I am considering the DD LW factory upper build versus a variation of the nice builds offered by GR Tactical in the DD pencil barrel thread of this forum. But both require a lower. So I am trying to figure out if it makes sense to go with a CAVARMS to more weight reduction, or whether a regular lower is best.

Keep in mind that this will be shot by kids age 6-13 and a woman who does not bench press a whole lot. One thing that gives me pause about CAVARMS, in addition to the funky look and the somewhat rough quality mentioned above, is the A1 stock length. That is too long for a 6 y.o. kid, but a CAR butt when fully retracted is not. But the lighter the gun is, the sooner kids can start to shoot offhand with it.

Have you considered M&P15-22s? They have collapsible stocks and are .22 so they're perfect for kids. When I was a Boy Scout, the .22 was our preferred rifle.

skyugo
05-15-10, 16:01
Qualifier, I've never had one. I have considered building one for my daughter to play with. I was under the impression the pivot and take down pins were different length and sometimes hard to find. Is there any truth to that?

they're different than standard AR pins. you could probably make standard AR pins work in a pinch though. the cav pins have a little detent ball in them and they just push in.

FireandFlames
05-15-10, 16:16
Hasn't cavarms bit the dust? :confused:

seb5
05-15-10, 16:34

They have as a weapon manufacturer. there are still many receivers out there. I was looking into one but the dealer did not have the pins.

ForTehNguyen
05-15-10, 18:46
DSG arms has some in stock:
http://dsgarms.com/Category/26_1/Lower_Receivers.aspx

500grains
05-15-10, 21:34

Yup, but Brownells still has them in O.D. for $120 wholesale. But DSG has the yellow ones and the Robin's egg blue for $150! Yeah! ;)

500grains
05-15-10, 21:39
Have you considered M&P15-22s? They have collapsible stocks and are .22 so they're perfect for kids. When I was a Boy Scout, the .22 was our preferred rifle.

Took delivery of one today and it will go out to the desert to shoot in the a.m. But the kids like to shoot full power too.

500grains
05-15-10, 21:40
build your own with rra entry short stock.

That is another option I will look into.

FireandFlames
05-16-10, 01:33
Yup, but Brownells still has them in O.D. for $120 wholesale. But DSG has the yellow ones and the Robin's egg blue for $150! Yeah! ;)

Seriously considering the Robin's egg blue one just to be able to intimidate my opponents with my manliness. :p

ForTehNguyen
05-16-10, 08:12
if yall want to get the color that matches the industry FDE the best, its Cav Arms coyote brown. Says on their website that Coyote Brown actually matches everyone else's FDE the best.

seb5
05-16-10, 20:58
DSG arms has some in stock:
http://dsgarms.com/Category/26_1/Lower_Receivers.aspx

But no pins.

ForTehNguyen
05-16-10, 21:27
proprietary takedown pins came with mine when i ordered from DSG. Thats where I got my mkII lower from. They included the installation instruction sheet with it too.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKIIinstructions.html

Notes to Gunsmiths and Armorers:

* Takedown Pins: Use the supplied speed pins to secure your upper receiver to your CAV-15 lower receiver. If you lose or misplace the supplied pins, replacement pins can be ordered from Cavalry Arms at a cost of $5.00 a piece.

kmrtnsn
05-16-10, 23:32
Frankly I can't see the attraction. For less money you can get an aluminium lower that you can configure as you see fit, not saddled with a mediocre rubber pistol grip and solid buttstock.

sonrider657
05-17-10, 08:47
I built this 16" carbine that weighs a scant 5 lb 1 oz (without magazine). Although I have not ran it hard, it has been flawless in operation so far and it handles great.

I highly recommend Cav Arms lowers and wish I had the cash to buy another one. Get them while they last!

http://www.christiancarnivore.com/magpul 2.jpg

Alberto
05-17-10, 09:39
Is that 5.1lbs with the light?

What upper is that?

One of the best lightweight builds Ive seen.

Can you comment on how long that stock is compared to the adjustable ones and at roughly what setting its equivalent to?

sonrider657
05-17-10, 15:36
Is that 5.1lbs with the light?

What upper is that?

One of the best lightweight builds Ive seen.

Can you comment on how long that stock is compared to the adjustable ones and at roughly what setting its equivalent to?

Thanks!

Yes, the light and mount are very lightweight.

The Upper is a Bushmaster Carbon-15 (plastic). Carbon-15's get a bad rap but from my limited experience (this is the only one I've had), they assemble and run just fine (it does not have a forward assist or ejection port cover).

The stock built in to the Cav Arms Lower is A1 length and is just right IMO. It's roughly the length of a collapsible stock fully extended.

signal4l
05-17-10, 16:42
I like them:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/CURLY19/rifle.jpg

markm
05-17-10, 20:12
I like them

I like the Aluminum version!! :p

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/trixiebud/andradepix013-1.jpg?t=1274145064

seb5
05-17-10, 21:04
proprietary takedown pins came with mine when i ordered from DSG. Thats where I got my mkII lower from. They included the installation instruction sheet with it too.

http://www.cavalryarms.com/MKIIinstructions.html

Thanks bro.