PDA

View Full Version : Stupid, stupid pivot pin detents...oh why am I so stupid with my pivot pin detents!

ALCOAR
05-15-10, 12:07
Now I can run around town trying to find a few pivot detents all the while thinking how easily I could perhaps make these myself. Anybody ever thought of a process to make these little stupid pivot pin detents themselves.....this cannot be that hard. If a process exists and this caveman can do it, I would be more than happy to make some for whomever wanted a few while I was making the 1.72 million I will be needing:)

So, if you have any thoughts, suggestions or really just want to rant against the ghey pivot pin detents...lets hear it:)

Just to start it out with a FAIL.....maybe I can use zippo flints...double stack if I have to.

Iraqgunz
05-15-10, 12:51
Does this thread serve a purpose?

ForTehNguyen
05-15-10, 13:06
i bet he shot detents across the room and cant find them. I usually do this part with a bag or cloth covering me, so it wont get far it it goes flying.

rljatl
05-15-10, 13:24
Hardware store or hobby shop. Small diameter brass rod. File to a point.

ALCOAR
05-15-10, 13:51
The only purpose this serves I guess is to help me replace two missing pivot pin detents. Silly me, should not have asked I guess. One thing is for sure, I am not sitting around on Sat. thinking about trying to make a detent just for the heck of it.

Guess I will just buy or order some since this is so irrelevant...my apologies:) Next time I will just ask which rifle or bcg to get or something.

ALCOAR
05-15-10, 13:53
i bet he shot detents across the room and cant find them. I usually do this part with a bag or cloth covering me, so it wont get far it it goes flying.

That is exactly what happened on the front pivot pin...searched forever to no avail.

rljatl.....by chance do you know the diameter of the detents off the top of your mind? That is exactly what I will try and do if I can get close on the actual diameter of the detents. Thanks.

Xpertz1
05-15-10, 14:28
Its actually very easy to fix that...tap the hole 1/8 inch deep put a set screw in it and cut off 1/8 inch of spring. I machine all of my lowers myself and this has become a step in the process.

Stickman
05-15-10, 14:36
Put your lower in a clear bag when you are working on the pin, if it shoots out, its captured and won't be lost. With the bag being clear, its easy to see what you are doing.

Just a reminder, throw the gallon ziplock bag back in the drawer when you are done before your wife sees what you are doing.

rljatl
05-15-10, 14:41
That is exactly what happened on the front pivot pin...searched forever to no avail.

rljatl.....by chance do you know the diameter of the detents off the top of your mind? That is exactly what I will try and do if I can get close on the actual diameter of the detents. Thanks.

No, sorry. I don't know the diameter, but it's about the same as the spring. The pivot pin and take down pin are the same, so you could measure the one that you have. You should be able to make one in about 5 minutes.

Quib
05-15-10, 14:54
Anybody ever thought of a process to make these little stupid pivot pin detents themselves.....

I’ve made my own safety detent in the past from the appropriate sized nail. I wised up though and shortly afterwards, I started investing in spare parts. ;)

rljatl
05-15-10, 14:55
I bet even a piece of heavy coat hanger wire, the kind used for pants not shirts, would work as a "field expedient measure."

JHC
05-15-10, 16:36
The only purpose this serves I guess is to help me replace two missing pivot pin detents. Silly me, should not have asked I guess. One thing is for sure, I am not sitting around on Sat. thinking about trying to make a detent just for the heck of it.

Guess I will just buy or order some since this is so irrelevant...my apologies:) Next time I will just ask which rifle or bcg to get or something.

One of the funniest posts ever!!! ROFL

az doug
05-15-10, 16:38
I have, in a pinch, used spring wire from Brownells which I have used for making springs, small parts, punches... The best solution is to buy several spares as they are cheap.

MechEng
05-15-10, 17:05
All those little pins & springs in an AR are cheap. The next time you order something gun related from an online vendor that carries AR parts just order several extra springs and pins as well. You will thank yourself later.