PDA

View Full Version : LAR Grizzly side charge uppers?

Arctic Sloth
05-15-10, 13:06
Does anyone have any experience with the LAR Grizzly side charge uppers? I am thinking about ordering one. As a newbie, I have no experience of any merit, with any complete upper, so I am just curious if you think this is a good choice for under $1,000.00? I am interested in the OPS-4 Operator.

http://www.largrizzly.com/web/guest/ops-4-upper-assemblies

markdh720
05-15-10, 22:03
I'm not one of the "go to" guys around here for information, but....

I vistit a few weapon and tactical sites, but this site doesn't talk much of side charging rifles. Of the other sites I visit, Addax Tactical has a good reputation. Their uppers will be more expensive. They have gas-piston uppers but don't have as big as a variety as the site you mentioned, especially in barrels. Maybe other members have exprience?

scottd907
05-16-10, 00:25
I dont know if its any better or accurate then a standard Upper Receiver with the different bolt and charging handle design. I like the charging handle incorporated into the bolt carrier, and from the pictures it looks like they totally re-done the bolt carrier. I wonder if it accepts the standard bolt and charging handles?

Theres a lot of great choices out there for uppers inbetween the 800-1200dollar range. Whats your thoughts on it? What are your likes? or better, what are you using the rifle for? These arent complete rifles, and for a couple hundred more you could probably pick up a nice gas piston complete rifle which is probably your best bet for a reliable rifle.

My choice was for a home defense weapon/paper killer, I picked up a basic N4 Noveske carbine upper for $800 used, a nib RRA complete lower for $300, and got a great deal on a Eotech(probably would never spend the money on it, got this one in a trade). Added a nice CTR collapsible stock and flash light. So many upper choice for $1000, hope this helps in your choice.

Arctic Sloth
05-16-10, 06:58
I am familiar with shooting AKs and Saiga 12 shotguns, so the side charging handle seems like a good idea. Reaching for the charging handle on the right is something my "muscle memory" is geared to do. It also seems like it would be easier/faster to pull the bolt back rather than using the traditional AR/M4 rear charging handle.

However, I am merely a target shooter, so speed is not a huge consideration for me.

Addax Tactical does look intriguing, but like most of us, I am rather impatient, and their 30+ day build time is a downer for me as my experience with the industry is 30 days often means 90 days.

I have looked at the American Spirit Arms site and they offer a left side charging handle and will put an upper together with the Adams Arms piston system for less than the $1,200.00 mark. I have been reading that historically American Spirit Arms did not have a very good reputation and I don't know their build time. The LAR Grizzly units are in stock, so waiting is not an issue.

Taymoor
01-02-11, 23:17
I own one of these uppers. Go with another sidecharger. The gas key isn't staked at all, and the bolt holding the charging handle has twice snapped in half during shooting. While functioning, it functions well and is very good looking though.

Heavy Metal
01-02-11, 23:29
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=69829

Discussed at length.

TOrrock
01-03-11, 01:12
Edit.....did not realize this was a necro post.