PDA

View Full Version : Carbine Training question from Newbie

Dr. Mike
05-15-10, 18:25
Hello All,

Am new to this site however it seems like a wealth of information. Though not new to shooting, I am completely new to the AR platfom, having never fired or even handled one. I have some tactical pistol experience however and would like to know if anyone can recommend a good training course (school) that can take me from the very basics of the 5.56 up to and including transitioning to side arm etc. As time and opportunity are very limited to me, I am hoping to find a 3-4 day course that will cover all of the above at one time. Any info anyone can provide for a reputable school would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,

Dr. Mike

Treehopr
05-15-10, 18:48
Where are you located and how much are you willing to spend?

Not just for the course but for travel/ammo?

Jay Cunningham
05-15-10, 20:00
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3081

G_M
05-15-10, 20:20
I can recommend TigerSwan. They'll start with the fundamentals and slowly work you through drills that will improve your fundamentals. I walked away with a good training mindset and methodology to improve my shooting or diagnose it.

You can read my AAR in the TigerSwan forum, I took the 2 day tactical carbine class in LA.

Dr. Mike
05-15-10, 20:59
Where are you located and how much are you willing to spend?

Not just for the course but for travel/ammo?

I am located in the northeast (NJ). Training is very limited in this neck of the woods. I am able and willing to travel but would prefer a site closer (1-2 hours) to a major city for ease of travel arrangements. As far as ammo expenses, I will provide for whatever amount is required to complete the training. I will be attending with a friend so can share some of expenses. While I don't want to be ripped-off, I don't mind spending for a rewarding experience. Please let me know what you think.
Dr. Mike

Eric Cartman
05-15-10, 22:00
I am located in the northeast (NJ). Training is very limited in this neck of the woods. I am able and willing to travel but would prefer a site closer (1-2 hours) to a major city for ease of travel arrangements. As far as ammo expenses, I will provide for whatever amount is required to complete the training. I will be attending with a friend so can share some of expenses. While I don't want to be ripped-off, I don't mind spending for a rewarding experience. Please let me know what you think.
Dr. Mike

Since your in NJ, you might want to contact MDTS, they have classes down in NJ and NY.

MDTS (https://mdtstraining.com/services.htm)

drsal
05-15-10, 22:06
Cumberlandtactics.com with Randy Cain, in a word, outstanding. The travel time is worth it.

Treehopr
05-18-10, 08:28
Dr. Mike

There's not much in the Jersey area unless you're LE or Military and driving somewhere would be a lot easier than flying.

I wouldn't fly out of any of the 3 NYC airports or Stewart International if traveling with firearms- just not worth the risk or hassle. Philadelphia or BWI would be a better bet if you're close enough.

I'll second TigerSwan with a recommendation to do their 3 Day Carbine/Pistol, classes are a bit more expensive per day compared to other trainers but are usually much smaller (Think 5 or 7 students instead rather than 20 per class) so you'll get a lot more individual instruction. From Jersey it'd be a straight shot down I95 ;)

Lots of other good trainers out there, Pat Rogers teaches a 2 day carbine class but doesn't include any pistol work in it, his 3 day class is excellent but from what your stated experience I wouldn't recommend that as a 1st class.

Pat Goodale at www.pgpft.com has an excellent training facility in WV that's within driving distance.

TDI-Ohio has good courses geared toward civilians, never took their Tac Rifle I but did take Tac Rifle II and III and you get the opportunity to do things like low light and live fire shoot house that other courses don't always do.

This list isn't complete, just what I could think of off the top of my head. If there's a specific instructor/class you have in mind I'm sure somebody on this board can let you know what their experiences were :)

05-18-10, 10:35
If you want to learn correctly from top-notch instructors, then you are probably going to have to travel. TigerSwan, Viking Tactics, Larry Vickers, and Pat Rogers(EAG) all teach basic carbine classes and are considered top level. Training is like buying a quality product. Don't waste money on someone else when there is quality like the preceding available. Are there other courses that can teach the basics? Of course; but why do it when there are such other excellent options. Just be patient and save up the $$$.

For me personally, TigerSwan is where it's at.

G_M
05-18-10, 16:30
If you want to learn correctly from top-notch instructors, then you are probably going to have to travel. TigerSwan, Viking Tactics, Larry Vickers, and Pat Rogers(EAG) all teach basic carbine classes and are considered top level. Training is like buying a quality product. Don't waste money on someone else when there is quality like the preceding available. Are there other courses that can teach the basics? Of course; but why do it when there are such other excellent options. Just be patient and save up the $$$.

For me personally, TigerSwan is where it's at.

^^^ This +9000 ^^^

Honestly if its the basic introductory stuff you probably want to go with tried and true. You want the absolute best for fundamentals. I know the $$ sounds a lot but I feel you get your money back plus more in education and experience.

Also if you want to take advanced training courses at other facilities the above named schools should easily count toward any pre-reqs that those courses may require.

PT Doc
05-18-10, 19:21
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51828

Dr. Mike
05-18-10, 20:32
Guys,

Thank you all so much for all of your help and advice. I am sure to find a course that will fit my needs from all you have recommended. This forum is a wealth of information that I am happy to be part of.

Dr. Mike

zushwa
05-19-10, 08:49
I know some guys. :)

Contact me if you have any questions.

rctts
05-20-10, 10:07
Another option for you in the Northeast is the Sig Sauer Academy in NH. Only a 3 hour drive or so from NJ and it offers lots of great instruction.

andy t
05-20-10, 12:42
+1 for Sig Sauer. They had a gentleman from Bronx their last year. FYI Sig will be hosting a three day Carbine class in two weeks. There is still space to sign up.
Also traveling to other classes is doable. I flew to VA last year for LAV class and it was a great learning experience.

rctts
05-20-10, 15:48
I was at Sig Academy last month for a LE Carbine class. Their chief instructor Adam Painchaud taught our class and he was great. Lots of details covered and he was very approachable. I would recomend the Sig Academy to anyone.