PDA

View Full Version : New P30's first range trip

Lucky Strike
05-15-10, 19:42
Picked up my new P30 V2 this morning. When i got home I tried out all the various combos of grips and ended up going with mediums on the back and left and large on the right. Gun feels awesome in the hand.

Cleaned/oiled it up and took it to the range along with my XD. The trigger felt very heavy in comparison to the XD (it's been worked on by Springer Precision and is 5lb and very smooth) but I figure no big deal since it's a V2 and the springs to convert to a V4 are already ordered. The break on the trigger is pretty good and the reset is a better then what I was expecting. It's was still kinda long but from everything I read I was prepared for something longer. It's very definite feeling though when it resets so that's good.

Put 50 rounds of production 124gr Blazer Brass through it and it functioned without issue but I was hitting all over the place as I was getting accustomed to the new trigger. My grip does interfere with the slide stop which kinda stinks but I was able to adjust it a little to make it work. Just something that will become natural over time I suppose.

Next came my reloads, (124gr JHP Montana Gold, 4.0gr Titegroup @1.100 OAL, mixed headstamp range brass) this load is a new one for me as i've just transitioned to loading JHPs instead of plated RN. I'd shot 100 of these rounds yesterday (first time shooting them) in my XD and they worked without issue. The first magazine and a half through the P30 worked just fine and my groups were getting tighter as I got better with the trigger.

Towards the end of the second mag though I had a FTE that ended up being a really stuck case. The slide would barely budge when I tried to rack it, after 5 mintues or so of trying to rack the thing it finally gave way (the extractor finally deformed the rim enough to clear it) but the case was still stuck in there too good to try and pull it out with my fingers so I had to go home and hammer it out with a brass rod (only took a little force to get it out).

Pretty disappointing first trip and I'm hopeful that this was just an oddball round and that my reloads won't be an issue with the P30. 80% of my shooting is with reloads so if the P30 shows to have continued issues with them then it'll be a big problem for me.

I'm going shooting again tomorrow so my fingers are crossed that things will work smoothly.

spr1
05-16-10, 05:21
"mixed headstamp range brass"

I would not attribute the problem to the P30 right off.

Lucky Strike
05-16-10, 08:06
yeah i'm thinking it was just a bad piece of brass but it just sucks that it happened on the first time using the P30...i've loaded and fired about 2k rounds using mixed range brass and never had any other issues. I'm shooting an IPSC match today with my XD and afterwards I'll put more reloads through the P30 and see how it runs.

Pappabear
05-16-10, 10:26
First things first. My P30 needed 250 rounds for it to start running smooth. Since then, it ate every reload I fed it. Do yourself a favor, run 250 or so rounds before you get bummed. Ive been through this twice. My XD did it, and my P30 did it. After 250 or 350 rounds, I cant limp wrist them and make them malfunction. You would not expect this from HK, but some just need a break in. Relax, buy ammo and shoot. And keep your thumb off the mag release.

Lucky Strike
05-16-10, 16:57
Just got back from an IPSC match (that I shot with my XD) after the match I put the remaining ammo that I had in my range bag (100 rounds of the same reloads from last time and 50 rounds factory ammo) through the P30 and everything feed and extracted perfectly.

Now i know what people mean when they say their trigger finger hurts from the trigger guard....I found that it doesn't rub when just your tip is on the trigger so I guess it's a good reinforcement not to use too much finger.

My slightly adjusted grip seemed to work as far as letting the slide lock back on empty.

My accuracy was a little off due to not being use to a trigger that heavy and long....i'm pretty sure once i get the new springs to change it to a V4 (as well as just getting more repetitions) things will improve. When my Heinie order comes in and I can swap out the sights that'll likely help too.

As far as reloads what's the standard method of using these mag release paddles? Trigger finger to push it? Weak hand thumb?

spr1
05-16-10, 17:16
I am finding the trigger finger tip on the mag release paddle is very natural and fast.