PDA

View Full Version : how to replace Sully trigger guard?

BaronFitz
05-16-10, 17:14
I have a Sully trigger guard on my Defensive Edge lower/BCM upper rifle. I'm considering replacing it with a Magpul enhanced trigger guard, since the Magpul is metal, and the Sully is some sort of plastic/composite.

The Sully guard isn't bad, but since it's plastic, it's picked up a few burrs and rough spots on the edges. It came pre-installed on my lower, and it appears to be affixed with a roll pin in both the rear, and in the front, where one would traditionally find a spring loaded detent.

How on earth would I get out that front roll pin (if that's indeed what it is) short of taking it to the smith or buying some bizarre roll-pin driller-outer?

mgobel
05-16-10, 19:15
The roll pin supporting the front is short. You can remove the trigger guard by using a punch and driving pin into the guard.

Mark

BaronFitz
05-16-10, 20:02
sweet...thanks! :)

Robb Jensen
05-16-10, 20:12
If you don't have a delrin block for gunsmithing you can use a small piece of wood with a hole drilled in it. You must support the opposing ear of the lower while using a 1/8" punch to drive the roll pin out. Also lube the pin with gun oil beforehand. If you don't support it it's pretty easy to snap off one of the ears on the lower.

Skyyr
05-16-10, 22:07
If you don't have a delrin block for gunsmithing you can use a small piece of wood with a hole drilled in it. You must support the opposing ear of the lower while using a 1/8" punch to drive the roll pin out. Also lube the pin with gun oil beforehand. If you don't support it it's pretty easy to snap off one of the ears on the lower.

You can also use a thick paperback book as a support (I've used an expired FAR/AIM). Fill in the spaces between the "ears" and the surface you're working on with pages. Cheap and effective if you don't have room for a workbench or extra wood/materials on hand.

BaronFitz
05-17-10, 15:28
I have a piece of scrap lumber with a hole drilled into it that sits in my toolbox. I even labeled it as an AR tool with a Sharpie. :cool:

BaronFitz
05-23-10, 15:50
Got it done...lower is intact, and I'm happier with the look and feel of the Magpul guard. :D