PDA

View Full Version : My 1st AR!

gunsavant
05-16-10, 18:14
Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting on this forum. My name is blake, and I'm from Memphis, glad to be a member. I have some questions about my upcoming purchase. I'll be assembling the rifle myself. My purchase is going to be something I'll want to keep a long time. I'm thinking about a flat top with a 16" barrel, with flash hider and a free floating rail. I want to put some sort of scope on it. I would like it to be for self defense situations but I may also like to do some range shooting and hunting. I know little about scopes or exact ranges I need the scope to be capable of. Right now, I really like the looks of a 16" barrel with a 12" free floating rail. I want a good barrel. Hopefully one that won't be too heavy but will last for a long time. The idea of putting together my AR with so many options available is quiet daunting. I have been researching for a little while and have determined that I need to make this purchase soon before any anti assualt rifle or anti gun legislation is passed. I intend to keep this rifle for a long time. If ya'll could help me answer some of these questions, it would be a great help.

1) What is the best .223 ammo for self defense but also cheap to buy in bulk?

2) What type of twist ratio is best for a 16" barrel?

3) Out to what ranges can a 16" barrel perform well at?

4) How much more does a grendel AR cost, and what is the capacity of a standard grendel mag?

5) What length of rail should I get and why?

6) Should I buy a piston or gas operated rifle and why?

7) What is the best business to order my parts from?

8) How much will it cost to put together an AR with the following: mid range scope, laser, light, extendable stock, backup sights, good quality 16" barrel with flash hider.

I want a rifle from a great brand, not sure which one yet. Which should I select and for what reasons? pros and cons?

9) How much better does an 18" barrel perform compared to a 16"? Is there a considerable drop off when you move down to a 14.5" barrel? Which barrel should I get? I think I want something that is maneuverbale. I'm leaning towards a 16" as of now.

10) What is the price difference between grendel ammo and .223 ammo?

11) What is the difference is recoil in Grendel, 6.8 spc, and .223? Are the first two calibers good for a lot of rapid fire?

12) I really like the looks of a rifle by user 00leland00 on this page https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=314

What barrel length is this and what is the rail length of the rifle in the pictures by 00leland00? It appears to be 16" and 12", is this right? I really like the looks of the permanent front sight on his rifle. If this is a good decision compared to flip up front sights I would like to keep the permanent front sights with a flip up back sight. Does keeping the permanent front sight sound like a good idea?

13) What type of stock should I get?

14) What are the advantages of different types of sights? What are they good for? Such as holographic and red dot, what ranges are they capable of?

15) What brand of AR should I buy?

These are just the concerns of mine that come to mind. I will almost certainly edit the post later with things I am concerned about. I know it's a lot of questions but if you can address any of them, I would apprecciate it. Also if there are key issues that I am abliovious to, please notify me of such things. I don't know much about ARs so any information and advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

00leland00
05-16-10, 18:23
Spend some more time researching here and you will find the answers to all of those questions that best fit your wants/needs. When you build it, post pics. Good luck.

Quiet-Matt
05-16-10, 18:43
Sounds like a Daniel Defense M4 is what you need.;)

spamsammich
05-16-10, 19:24
Read these links:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7009

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7355

Then ask questions that aren't covered in the provided links.

Ruff Shod
05-16-10, 19:36
I wish I would have read this one (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376)......

Disclaimer: My Stag was given to me. Im workin on gettin it up yo speed, tho.

gunsavant
05-17-10, 11:17
Ok, so I took a look at those threads you suggested. I have determined that I want either a BCM or an LMT 16" rifle. Which of these two brands do you prefer?
I like the lifetime warranty, the price over Noveske, and the amount of desirable features with these brands. I want a long free floating rail, and a collapsible stock. I mean how many differents configurations, etc, do they offer, and where should I order the parts from?
Do you suggest buying the upper and lower from the same company?
What barrel length and rail length does tthe rifle by 00leland00 look like to you on this page? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=314
Is there any difference between a rifle entitled by manufacturer M4, ar15, or m16, etc?
What options do these companies have that I will have to make decisions on?
As you can tell, I'm trying to put this rifle together pretty fast, thanks for the help.

05-17-10, 17:20
Sit back and spend several days reading through the threads. It will help you much. Your questions are not necessarily a quick answer. It depends on what you what the rifle for, for starters. Yes, I read your post. Reading the threads will give you quite a lot of insight.

graffex
05-17-10, 18:08
Let me make it simple for you. Buy a BCM 16" middy and shoot the piss out of it ;)

joeinkeys
05-17-10, 18:17
Ok, so I took a look at those threads you suggested. I have determined that I want either a BCM or an LMT 16" rifle. Which of these two brands do you prefer?
I like the lifetime warranty, the price over Noveske, and the amount of desirable features with these brands. I want a long free floating rail, and a collapsible stock. I mean how many differents configurations, etc, do they offer, and where should I order the parts from?
Do you suggest buying the upper and lower from the same company?
What barrel length and rail length does tthe rifle by 00leland00 look like to you on this page? https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=642&page=314
Is there any difference between a rifle entitled by manufacturer M4, ar15, or m16, etc?
What options do these companies have that I will have to make decisions on?
As you can tell, I'm trying to put this rifle together pretty fast, thanks for the help.

Don't know if this will help; but I read the forum for about 3 months and asked a bunch of questions. I ended up with a

BCM light weight 16" middy upper
Fixed front site
DD 9.0 Lite Rail
Troy flip up rear site

Daniel Defense Lower built out by G&R Tactical with
Magpul MOE grip (not sure about fitment)
CTR Stock
H Buffer
etc....

Grant will build out that lower any way you like. I have about $1600 in the weapon including 5 P-Mags. I love the weight, and put about 350 rounds of wolf down range last weekend and it fired flowlessy.

scottd907
05-17-10, 20:49
What are you buying the AR15 for? whats going to be your main use? How much do you have to spend on your rifle of your dreams?

A lot of your questions can be answered with what your use of the rifle will be.

00Ieland00 set up as he listed below his pictures
Mega GA-15 lower (trigger system, stock, mag well of the rifle)
Mega flat top upper (where your Bolt carrier goes, what your barrel attaches too, what your scope or red dot will attach too)
DD Lite Rail 12.0 FSP, CHF barrel, Light mount, LPK, Fixed Rear Sight, FA BCG
Magpul Trigger Guard, MIAD, Sling
Nor-Gon Ambi-Catch
LMT Ambi-safety
Noveske Single Point Attachment Plate
LMT SOPMOD Stock

Unless you buy the rifle without a Front sight tower, most will come with it.

LMTRocks
05-17-10, 22:54
$0.02 on Grendel----
I have 1. I'll never buy another. At least $1/trigger pull unless you're dry firing. You'll have to reload your own ammo----brass is hard to come by. Mags stop at 25rds. I have several of those---can't remember how many but I haven't loaded them all yet. It will definitely be a good hunting rifle. Mine is equipped with a Vortex 4-16x50 MilDot scope. I like it. The gun overall is a nice shooter. I worked on the trigger until I got it where I wanted it. It's very very good to shoot. Downside? $$$$

regarding .223 cheap and good for defense? You can get price, quality, or service. Pick 2. That's what we said when I was in construction. Now I'm not sure you're going to find Hornady TAP 223 75gr for less than about $0.90/rd---if you do buy it.