PDA

View Full Version : Planning mosque 2 blocks from Ground Zero

howlrover
05-16-10, 20:18
From the New York Post, but also found an article in Newsweek in a google search.

Updated: Thu., May. 13, 2010, 11:37 AM
Mosque madness at Ground Zero
By ANDREA PEYSER

Last Updated: 11:37 AM, May 13, 2010

Posted: 3:59 AM, May 13, 2010

A mosque rises over Ground Zero. And fed-up New Yorkers are crying, "No!"

A chorus of critics -- from neighbors to those who lost loved ones on 9/11 to me -- feel as if they've received a swift kick in the teeth.

Plans are under way for a Muslim house of worship, topped by a 13-story cultural center with a swimming pool, in a building damaged by the fuselage of a jet flown by extremists into the World Trade Center.

The opening date shall live in infamy: Sept. 11, 2011. The 10th anniversary of the day a hole was punched in the city's heart.

How the devil did this happen?

Plans to bring what one critic calls a "monster mosque" to the site of the old Burlington Coat Factory building, at a cost expected to top $100 million, moved along for months without a peep. All of a sudden, even members of the community board that stupidly green-lighted the mosque this month are tearing their hair out.

Paul Sipos, member of Community Board 1, said a mosque is a fine idea -- someplace else.

"If the Japanese decided to open a cultural center across from Pearl Harbor, that would be insensitive," Sipos told me. "If the Germans opened a Bach choral society across from Auschwitz, even after all these years, that would be an insensitive setting. I have absolutely nothing against Islam. I just think: Why there?"

Why, indeed.

A rally against the mosque is planned for June 6, D-Day, by the human-rights group Stop Islamicization of America. Executive director Pamela Geller said, "What could be more insulting and humiliating than a monster mosque in the shadow of the World Trade Center buildings that were brought down by an Islamic jihad attack? Any decent American, Muslim or otherwise, wouldn't dream of such an insult. It's a stab in the eye of America."

Called Cordoba House, the mosque and center is the brainchild of the American Society for Muslim Advancement. Executive director Daisy Khan insists it's staying put.

"For us, it's a symbol, a platform that will give voice to the silent majority of Muslims who suffer at the hands of extremists. A center will show that Muslims will be part of rebuilding lower Manhattan," said Khan, adding that Cordoba will be open to everyone.

"We were pleased to see that the community welcomed us as an asset to lower Manhattan," she added. "The community board approved it."

Not so fast.

The Financial District Committee of Community Board 1 seems to have gotten ensnared in a public-relations ploy by mosque-makers. At a May 5 meeting, the committee gave the project an enthusiastic thumbs-up. But boards have zero say over religious institutions.

Board chair Julie Menin, blind-sided by the move, predicts "this will be overturned by the full board" later this month.

But the damage is done.

Wounds that have yet to heal are now opening, as mosque opponents are branded, unfairly, as bigots.

"The worst tendency is the knee-jerk, emotional, angry, hateful response to acts of violence and war," said Donna Marsh O'Connor, who lost daughter Vanessa on 9/11 and supports the mosque. "I think it's racist tendencies."

Many more feel like Bill Doyle -- doubly maimed as he's forced to defend himself against charges of prejudice.

"I'm not a bigot. What I'm frightful about is, it's almost going to be another protest zone. A meeting place for radicals," said Doyle, whose son, Joseph, was murdered on 9/11.

"It's a slap in our face!" said Nelly Braginsky, who lost son Alexander.

Unclear is how the mosque will raise the $100 million-plus it needs.

"We would be seeking funding from anyone who would help," Khan told me. "Seeking maybe some bonds or something like that." At the May 5 community board meeting, she displayed a sign with names like "Rockefeller Brothers Fund" and "Ford Foundation," which observers believed meant money is coming from those organizations. But Khan says those groups merely gave money in the past, and no funding is yet in place.

There are many questions about the Ground Zero mosque. But just one answer.

Move it away.

OH58D
05-16-10, 20:21
NO!!!!!

OH58D

ryanm
05-17-10, 06:51
This is standard operating procedure, look at the Dome of the Rock.

ChicagoTex
05-17-10, 07:17
A rally against the mosque is planned for June 6, D-Day, by the human-rights group Stop Islamicization of America.

The idea that an organization called Stop [insert religion here] of America can be called a "human rights group" may be the most preposterous and blatant shows of bias in journalism I've ever seen.

I realize there are some specific sensitivity issues here, and find myself most in tune with Mr. Doyle in being concerned that the place will be a flashpoint for all manner of extreme nutjobbery on both ends of the spectrum. But at the same time I do have to ask one crucial question the article completely fails to address:

How far is far enough away?

Food for thought is all...

Palmguy
05-17-10, 07:18
"For us, it's a symbol, a platform that will give voice to the silent majority of Muslims who suffer at the hands of extremists. A center will show that Muslims will be part of rebuilding lower Manhattan," said Khan, adding that Cordoba will be open to everyone.

Perhaps it's time for the majority to quit being silent, if that really is the case. :rolleyes:

orionz06
05-17-10, 07:20
How far is far enough away?

Food for thought is all...

My personal thought is the same. I have many other questions to ask, but at the risk of opening a rather large smelly can of worms, I will refrain.

ForTehNguyen
05-17-10, 07:23
brb Im gonna build a Japanese Cultural Center next to the USS Arizona

ryanm
05-17-10, 07:41
I'm not a new yorker, but this is the part I would have a problem with

"Called Cordoba House, the mosque and center is the brainchild of the American Society for Muslim Advancement. Executive director Daisy Khan insists it's staying put.

"We were pleased to see that the community welcomed us as an asset to lower Manhattan," she added. "The community board approved it."

They seem to be trying to get the mosque as close as possible to ground zero. The attempt is what seems inappropriate to me. If it just happened to be 2 blocks away and that was just a zoning issue then I probably wouldn't care. But this seems like a focused effort to get this mosque as close as possible.

tinman44
05-17-10, 07:49
wait a tic.....this country was founded by christians who are being targeted by muslims (regardless there extremety)and the constitution protects practicing your chosen religion(even if that be no religion) that being said if church and state should be seperated that cant go there since the ground zero site is supposed to be a national monument or something right? maybe this sounds on the paranoid side but would it be smart to allow a religion hell bent on domination a launching point nay a ground zero of their own to launch attacks from or just blow it up and cause that tower to destroy others around it. to me its like getting your ship blown up by a john boat full of terrorists, then hiring a johnboat full of terrorists to repair it or just move in so they can see competition coming.

Belmont31R
05-17-10, 07:58
Its obvious they are building a shrine to the 9/11 attacks, and to throw it in our face. To use our own tolerances of a free society against us.

But I guess the way the gov is being run these days theres no such thing as a muslim radical, and the radical ones are just using religion as a cover.

ChicagoTex
05-17-10, 08:00
wait a tic.....this country was founded by christians who are being targeted by muslims (regardless there extremety)and the constitution protects practicing your chosen religion(even if that be no religion) that being said if church and state should be seperated that cant go there since the ground zero site is supposed to be a national monument or something right? maybe this sounds on the paranoid side but would it be smart to allow a religion hell bent on domination a launching point nay a ground zero of their own to launch attacks from or just blow it up and cause that tower to destroy others around it. to me its like getting your ship blown up by a john boat full of terrorists, then hiring a johnboat full of terrorists to repair it or just move in so they can see competition coming.

1. punctuation and spacing is your friend.
2. Your first point makes less than zero sense. The founding fathers (quite a few of whom were NOT Christian, by the way) never had to contend to with Islam. I'd venture to guess many of them were entirely unaware of Islam's existence throughout their lives.
3. Two blocks away from Ground Zero isn't Ground Zero, it's municipal New York City, which is hardly federal property. The Mosque would be amid office buildings and hot dog vendors with Ground Zero down the road.
4. If you actually take the time to read the Qur'an, you'd realize Muslims are no more hell-bent on global domination than Christians (exactly how much that is is a matter of interpretation).