PDA

View Full Version : Odd failure - extractor spring breaking

boltcatch
05-16-10, 20:20
As the title suggests, I experienced an odd failure. One of my extractor springs w/ black insert broke. Well, crumbled, is more like it; when I removed the extractor from the bolt, half of it fell out. On trying to remove the part still stuck in the extractor, another piece broke off.

I simply replaced it with another and drove on. Weapon seemed to work fine during the day before I found it. It did not happen again.

This didn't happen recently, but something I read today reminded me of it.

Anyone ever see a failure like that? :confused:

(edited to add: bolt was in a midlength w/ suppressor and a bit under 1000 rounds at the time)

Robb Jensen
05-16-10, 20:25
I've had them get weak and and I had them break. Heat does weird things to springs.

MarkG
05-16-10, 20:27
Are you running an X Buffer with that suppressor? Rifle may be unlocking a bit fast and overworking your bolt group.

Quib
05-16-10, 20:29
Simply curious: How often do you clean and inspect?

Blankwaffe
05-16-10, 21:05
Ive had that happen a few times with lesser quality parts.Ive since started using only Colt extractor springs for all my AR's.
That said the BCM extractor spring assy is extremely robust.

Iraqgunz
05-17-10, 06:36
I have seen it happen even with Colt extractor springs. They get old and worn out just like any other spring.

Blankwaffe
05-17-10, 16:32
The extractor spring assemblies I reference failed in under 1,500 rounds.The buffers/inserts crumbled up into little bits.The compound was wery stiff too.Springs went almost flat.
One thing I have also found is that some extractors have rather shallow and narrow extractor spring sockets,which just adds to the issue causing some of the heavier extractor springs to stack.
So the Colt extractor spring assemblies was the option I chose after a string of issues.I actually prefer the LMT extractor spring assemblies over any Ive had to date but they are difficult to find individually and I just cant justify buying in bulk to get them.

ST911
05-17-10, 16:55
(edited to add: bolt was in a midlength w/ suppressor and a bit under 1000 rounds at the time)

Where'd the extractor spring assembly come from?

Detmongo
05-17-10, 19:22
it happens. i went to pm one of my carbines and found the exractor spring had broken in two. i have no idea how long it was in that condition but the gun ran fine.

boltcatch
05-17-10, 20:20
Simply curious: How often do you clean and inspect?

After every range trip... I don't get nutty with the cleaning anymore, particularly with the suppressed AR that I shoot regularly, if not high-volume, but I do inspect everything carefully. If I haven't touched the other one in a few months I'll take it apart, inspect it, and re-lube it. Due to money issues, I don't have many weapons and most are carried/transported a lot and shot little.

Used to shoot half a case of rifle and pistol a range trip, not anymore. :(

I did not give the maker of the part a chance to address it, since I just dropped a new one in and drove on.

I have been running a regular carbine buffer; been thinking about getting a heavier one for shooting suppressed, but switching buffers sometimes seems to give me large POI shifts and I liked the regular buffer when shooting without the can.

Quib
05-18-10, 05:19
Thanks for the follow-up Boltcatch.

I always wonder when I read of these types of failures, if they could have been prevented or detected earlier through PM. Sounds like you have a good PM routine established.

Guess this can be chalked up to one of those fluke failures. Good thing it happened in training, and not in a more serious situation.

ST911
05-18-10, 10:50
Where'd the extractor spring assembly come from?