PDA

View Full Version : Em I wasting my time with this barrel?

Paulinski
05-16-07, 15:20
After building various shorter length AR - 16" and less I have an itch to build a 20" rifle. I will be my version of accurate AR.

Here are the build details

Colt 1/7 Government Profile Barrel - Surplus GI barrel - new unfired
Daniel Defence Upper Receiver
Daniel Defence 13.5" Rail
LaRue Gas Block
Stag Lower
Geiselle DMR Trigger
Viltor Flash Hider
Harris Bipod
Leupold Mark 4 3-9 in Larue SPR Mount

I got the barrel and most of everything else - will the barrel be limiting facor in abtaining maximum accuracy from the build.

Thanks

Paul

striped1
05-16-07, 15:30
If you are trying to wring the ultimate in accuracy out of that combination, then yes, the barrel will be one of the bigger limiting factors.

You should be able to make this set up do moa or better, but how much better is the question. .25 or better? I would hedge my bet and get a different barrel if that was what I was looking for.

Robb Jensen
05-16-07, 18:14
It'll more than likely still shoot 1MOA or smaller with 75gr Hornady, what more can you ask for?

carshooter
05-16-07, 19:00
Since you already have the barrel, I wouldn't hesitate to build with it. I have the same configuration Colt Barrel, and it will shoot Sub MOA with the right ammo if I do my part. I find ammunition choice to be more limiting in accuracy than the various barrel choices. I'd use it, since you can always upgrade later if you so choose.