PDA

View Full Version : Expected poi shift between..

GhostB14
05-16-10, 22:00
Gun: Glock 19 RTF2
Sights: Warren Tactical 2-dot tritium
Range to target: 7yds

Gun hits "to the dot" with Remington 115gr. UMC bulk with an advertised velocity of 1135fps

Gun seemed a couple of inches low with Winchester RA9T 147gr with and advertised velocity of 990fps

I forgot and only brought a few rounds of the new(to me)carry load with me, I am just wondering if this is normal or I screwed the pooch behind the gun when shooting the Winchesters. Had I brought more I would have tried them more and at various ranges to see if they came "in line" for me. I'd rather not carry the stuff until this is sorted out.

As you can imagine I would like my carry ammo to hit to the dot vs. my practice stuff. In a perfect world both would, but I doubt that's going to happen.

Thank you in advance
Patrick Scott

operator81
05-17-10, 05:58
At 7 yards your POA/POI should be close to identical providing the human element has been removed. Try benching it at 15 or 25 yards to verify.

556mp
05-18-10, 00:08
not to say you cant shoot, but you could be pushing the gun to compensate recoil... and with the lighter load your driving of the gun has an over effect? POI should not be visualy diff at seven yards... I mean.... how many thousands of a second does the bullet have to drop....

I have yet to see a noticable differance in POI @25yd... so, just a thought. :confused:

CAVDOC
05-18-10, 10:27
a couple inches off with such different bullet weights would not be a surprise at all. for a comparison, I train with my revovlers with a reload equal to factory 158 lrn -what supposedly the fixed s&w sights are regulated for- my carry ammo happens to be a 125 non +p HP and it shoots 2 inches low at 15 yards.
FWIW, I feel that since the standard european bullet weight in 9mm is 124grain, I have tried to use practice ball and carry hp's in that weight- it just seems to me they shoot closest to poa and slightly tighter groups

GhostB14
05-18-10, 20:18
Thanks for all of the input. Hopefully next time I hit the range I will remember to bring an ample supply of the RA9T to test out. Maybe I can't shoot, but it does not show when shooting the ball.