PDA

View Full Version : Serious question - Wolf ammo for the 1911

DKircher
05-16-07, 16:04
With ammo prices being what they are, I'm considering getting a case or two of the standard Wolf .45 to run thru my 1911's, just for training, but I don't know why I'm considering it in a $1000 pistol when I don't run Wolf in a $1000 AR.

I haven't heard as many (any, actually, does that mean no one uses it?) horror stories with Wolf ammo in pistols as I have in AR's, am I off base? Hopefully someone here with experience can educate me. If not, I'll go buy some more Blazer I guess. Don't want to risk it.

So, anyone used it or seen it blow some guys hand off?

David Thomas
05-16-07, 16:41
I have shot 2 thousand rounds of the Wolf 45 acp. It shot great and was cleaner than my reloads with titegroup and plated bullets. I never had a problem or malfunction with any of those rounds and all of them were shot in 1911's. I would buy more without hesitation, if the price was right. I bought mine several months back for $175 per case.

Never had a problem with Blazer either.

John_Wayne777
05-16-07, 20:06
So, anyone used it or seen it blow some guys hand off?

Personally I don't shoot Wolf handgun ammo except in my Russian handguns.

That being said, my advice would be to try a couple of boxes and see how it runs in your weapon. Some guns don't like steel cased ammo. Some are just fine with steel cases.

If your gun will run with it, then purchasing a case might be a good idea.

Resq47
05-16-07, 22:26
I shoot Wolf .223 as match/training ammo now that the usual is over $.33 per round, and I shot 500 230gr .45 rounds through the Kimber during break-in. Other than smelling bad and on the weak side it runs fine for me. Anything you shoot through anything is going to cause wear, I accept that and it's preferable over the option of using guns as safe ballast.

I've also shot a few thousand rounds of aluminum cased Blazer in the 1911 and Sig with no ill effect other than a sore loading thumb.

dubb-1
05-16-07, 22:26
No Wolf for my 1911s.

Rock-N-Ruin
05-16-07, 23:33
If I can't afford good ammo, I don't shoot!! Just my experience but I ran wolf once years ago in a bushy and it was the dirtiest mess I had ever seen in one of my weapons, I usually run Varget for rifle re-loads.. I ran about 400 rnds that day. I think it was a steal casing that messed up an aluminum feed ramp in that gun, also the same day (steel vs. aluminum= steel wins) I guess I didn't have a good experience with that brand.. J.

SGB
05-16-07, 23:57
I tried 100 rounds of wolf through a stainless 1991a1 Colt and found it to be dirty, stinky and extremley underpowered. Not worth wasting the money IMHO.

DKircher
05-17-07, 20:42
10-4, thanks all. I think I'll just avoid it.

RWBlue
05-18-07, 08:43
That being said, my advice would be to try a couple of boxes and see how it runs in your weapon. Some guns don't like steel cased ammo. Some are just fine with steel cases.

If your gun will run with it, then purchasing a case might be a good idea.

+1

I have shot probably a small pile of wolf through multiple 45s. Most of this was probably with my Glock21 because I shoot the glock21 more, but I know it worked in both guns.

RWBlue
05-18-07, 08:57
If I can't afford good ammo, I don't shoot!! Just my experience but I ran wolf once years ago in a bushy and it was the dirtiest mess I had ever seen in one of my weapons, I usually run Varget for rifle re-loads.. I ran about 400 rnds that day. I think it was a steal casing that messed up an aluminum feed ramp in that gun, also the same day (steel vs. aluminum= steel wins) I guess I didn't have a good experience with that brand.. J.

As far as dirty, or guing up your chamber with the old laquered cases sure, that sucked.

As far as steel cases screwing up your AL feed ramps, I have to question this. The barrel extention should be steel.
So the feed ramps you are talking about are on the upper reciever. The bullet will touch these, but the case really doesn't grind against these.
Additionally the steel used in wolf cases is not as hard as the hardened steel used to make the barrel extension or hardened AL used to make uppers.
I would love to see a piture of this upper.
I think it wasn't wolf that screwed you, I think it was whomever manufactured your upper.

Teh softest steel is softer than the hardest brass or Aluminum. To understand how soft the steel is, I have been doing some wildcat reloading. I make dummy rounds. To make it easilly recognizable (I don't want to test feading or dry fire live ammo), I started using Wolf Steel cased ammo to make my dummy rounds. Although I don't have a reliable way to measure hardness, the steel cases formed like brass, and trimmed slightly easier than the brass cases.

Rock-N-Ruin
05-18-07, 11:41
As far as dirty, or guing up your chamber with the old laquered cases sure, that sucked.

As far as steel cases screwing up your AL feed ramps, I have to question this. The barrel extention should be steel.
So the feed ramps you are talking about are on the upper reciever. The bullet will touch these, but the case really doesn't grind against these.
Additionally the steel used in wolf cases is not as hard as the hardened steel used to make the barrel extension or hardened AL used to make uppers.
I would love to see a piture of this upper.
I think it wasn't wolf that screwed you, I think it was whomever manufactured your upper.

Teh softest steel is softer than the hardest brass or Aluminum. To understand how soft the steel is, I have been doing some wildcat reloading. I make dummy rounds. To make it easilly recognizable (I don't want to test feading or dry fire live ammo), I started using Wolf Steel cased ammo to make my dummy rounds. Although I don't have a reliable way to measure hardness, the steel cases formed like brass, and trimmed slightly easier than the brass cases.

it wasn't the barrel extension,,, it was the feed ramps on the reciever, it was also on a FTE, where I believe the bolt slammed the spent case forward, it did not mark the feed ramps of the barrel,, it was the aluminum feed ramps of the upper that got mangled, I don't want to get into a metallurgical debate on the contents of a Bushmaster upper and some foriegn Junk ammo (I won't use it again) but it was kind of sad that I had to have an armorer take a dremel to it to make it feed correctly again.. Why do ya think I sold it, it was my patrol rifle and it was beat to ^*&&(* any way

Maybe it was a soft upper, I don't know.... Gun is gone, so end of Hijack!

Back to your scheduled programming, already in progress!~~~