PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Velocity in 16in 308 AR?

lj_1187
05-17-10, 03:21
I am trying to determine the muzzle velocity of my LMT 308 MWS. I do not have a chrono, but I need to find out so I can choose the right Nightforce Velocity reticle on my optic. I have heard some say that 50fps for every inch of barrel cut off from 24in is accurate, other say 25-30fps. Anyone care to help me out and chime in?

QuietShootr
05-17-10, 06:06
I am trying to determine the muzzle velocity of my LMT 308 MWS. I do not have a chrono, but I need to find out so I can choose the right Nightforce Velocity reticle on my optic. I have heard some say that 50fps for every inch of barrel cut off from 24in is accurate, other say 25-30fps. Anyone care to help me out and chime in?

You need to have someone chronograph it with the ammo you intend to use. If you can wait a couple more weeks, I'll have mine and will chronograph a number of loads and post the results. The rule of thumb is not accurate enough to guesstimate on buying a $1500 scope.

lj_1187
05-17-10, 15:11
That would be great. On the NF calculator, even when I go pretty low with the FPS, it still shows to get the LV reticle. It seems to follow it very well. I more less need to know what distance to zero it at, per the NF calculator, to get the optimum performance from the BDC. Chrono some Fed AE 150gr and some Q3130 if you can!!:D

Darkop
05-19-10, 03:16
I just chronoed a few loads through my Noveske N6 with 14.5" Poly barrel. With Federal Gold Metal Match 168g I'm getting 2500fps average, 10 shot group. You should be just slightly higher but should wait and chrono your loads through your rifle for a scope investment like that.

Until that day,
Darkop