PDA

View Full Version : Replacing LED in Surefire KL4 head?

motoduck
05-17-10, 05:37
The LED burned out (stopped working?) in my Scout light with a KL4 head. Surefire's only solution is to replace the head. Does anyone make a bulb replacement for this head?

Vic303
05-17-10, 08:48
You might try the modders forum on CPF and see if someone can replace the LED for you--assuming it is the LED that actually failed. But you will pay for that increase in output etc over the SF original. Whereas, you can just get a new head eventually from SF if you send it in, unmodded.

Dennis
05-17-10, 11:45
If SF is offering you a replacement head I would take it. SF LED head units are notoriously well sealed and you are asking for trouble to take them apart. Better to get a full custom head replacement if that's what you want as well as the SF replacement just in case.

Dennis.

05-17-10, 16:13
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard a report of a KL4 going tits up. I'm actually not sure if I recall reading about ANY Surefire LED head dying, even with all my lurking on CPF.

If you have an earlier KL4 head that uses the old Lux V emitter, your new replacement head from Surefire will come with the more modern, more efficient, better throwing SSC P4 emitter.

Cracking open Surefire's LED heads is something normally reserved for very experienced light modders. I've read reports of guys needing a blowtorch, gouging metal, and melting the optic and emitter trying to open the old KL1 heads. "Well sealed" is right. I would just take your free replacement from SF and call it good.

How old is this scout light/ KL4 head?

Dennis
05-18-10, 00:42
http://tnvc.com/items/illumination_tools/e2_head.html

If you really want an upgraded head. However, SF should give you a newer model anyways as a replacement.

I actually dropped my trusty old L4 so hard I chipped the glass lens, but it still works!

Dennis.

motoduck
05-18-10, 06:16
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard a report of a KL4 going tits up

I guess everything will/can break at some point. Eventhough it was an "older" scout light that I purchased new, it had not seen alot of use. It was on a back up rifle. I moved it too another SBR for a class and it just "stopped working" midway through the first night session. I am speculating that muzzel blast killed it? later, after close examination there appears to be a small (1/4") of burned powder residue on the edge of the light bezel. I thought I had it mounted in a "safe" location, but it must of been hit by some of the muzzel blast comming from the bottom of the flash hider. I will now make a point of mounting lights well behind any possible muzzel blast.