PDA

View Full Version : Glock Rear Sight Replacement

Ga Shooter
05-17-10, 09:09
I am running Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8s on my G21SFs and G36. I am looking at replacing the rear sight with the Heinie Ledge w/ the Quick (large) notch.

I have never replaced sights on a pistol before. It looks like I can just knock the old ones out and the new ones in, but how do you make sure you do not chane the POI when doing this? I thought about mraking the edges and making the new ones line up but didn't know.

Thanks for the help.

ChicagoTex
05-17-10, 13:25
I have never replaced sights on a pistol before. It looks like I can just knock the old ones out and the new ones in, but how do you make sure you do not chane the POI when doing this? I thought about mraking the edges and making the new ones line up but didn't know.

Most folks tend to eyeball it initially (since handguns use such short barrels, sight radii, and have short effective ranges, mechanical center usually works just fine), take it to the range, and adjust if and as necessary.

You can try to mark where your old sight was if you want to, though.

ROCKET20_GINSU
05-17-10, 13:30
I use this:

http://www.topglock.com/DisplayPic.aspx?PIC=220495

and can be found for sale here:

http://www.topglock.com/item/42972_MGW_Tools_MGW_SIGHT_INSTALLATION_TO.aspx

I've owned 6 glocks, and I currently have 4 and I have installed FO or night sights on all of them myself (warrens and heinies). Just center it on the slide during instal (mechanical zero lol) and take the pistol and sight tool to the range to finalize the zero. Really easy, just take the time to really aim and use good trigger control, and adjust the sights only when you have good groups, use a supported position too if possible.

GU

BillSWPA
05-17-10, 19:16
In addition to using a sight pusher, use a caliper to ensure that the sight is centered on the slide. The easiest way I have found to measure is to place the end of the caliper opposite the display against the slide, and slide the movable piece outward until it touches the sight. Repeat on the other side. If one measurement is larger than the other, adjust accordingly. The sight pusher makes it easy to make minor adjustments. I find that if I get my Glock sights centered on the slide, little or no adjustment will be necessary once I shoot the gun.

JHC
05-17-10, 19:31
Sight pushers make it a lot easier but mine sheared a pin and I chucked it. Now I put the slide in a padded vice and tap (sometimes HAMMER) it in. Eye is up is good enough. Then take the kit to the range - the portable vice, bolt it on a bench, shoot, observe, field strip, tap, assemble, shoot, repeat.

Sight pushers make it a lot easier.

Ga Shooter
05-19-10, 11:11
Thanks for the tips.