PDA

View Full Version : Heat

120mm
05-17-10, 14:20
I'm going into some uncharted territory right now in my exercise routine: I've started running in o/a 100 - 105 degree temps. Never really done much serious exercise in that kind of temps, unless dad was making me pick rock or walk beans as a kid.

After a couple weeks of doing this, my body has progressed from "Oh, God I hate this and I'm gonna die" to "Cool - it's time to run. Do you think it's too hot, or what?"

I watch my fluid consumption, how much I sweat (like a 300 pound jello wrestler) and my pulse, which so far stays in my zone.

How hot is too hot? Any other precautions/suggestions from experienced high temp runners?

It's gonna suck this summer when it's 135 and I gotta fight for an exercise machine at the gym. I'm just trying to forestall that eventuality as long as possible.

Rated21R
05-17-10, 14:40
In my time over there in the heat we eventually adjusted to it. We tried our hardest to avoid the super hot parts of the day for exercise times. If it was unavoidable we made sure we had hats or something covering our heads, we had plenty of water, and maybe backed things off a bit as not to overdo it. We really tried to exercise early in the morning or late in evening. Most all our group runs started around 0500 and it wasn't too bad. Your body will let you know when you have gotten to that temp that is bad. YMMV. Good luck.

chuckman
05-17-10, 18:28
Working out in heat can be done, but you have to acclimate. Too much + too fast = bad juju. Stay ahead on hydration.

bkb0000
05-17-10, 19:15
your body adapts to what it's given. as stated, and as is obvious, hydration is a big part of it. electrolytes are the other- in extreme heat, and especially with extended exercise, it's very possible to flush yourself of electrolytes and end up with acute hyponatremia. ironically, this actually has the same symptoms of dehydration- which makes people drink more, worsening the situation. we used to salt our water and take a couple extra, short "snack" breaks to prevent this.

my "exercising" in heat experience is from roofing.. if it's 80 degrees out in direct sunlight, it's around 120+ at face-level on the roof. the shingles/felt/product absorbs the heat and radiates it back at you intensely- so you're getting beaten down from above and roasted from below at the same time. well before summer, it gets so hot you cannot handle a much without gloves on. by mid-summer, you pack 2-3 gallons of salted water up with you in the morning, and are usually dry by afternoon, depending on how hot and what you're doing.

most roofers won't work past 85-90 degrees. i've always taken the heat well, and will work to 100 degrees, depending. at 100 in direct sunlight, the airtemp 5' above roof can be as much as 140... and this is while doing some of the hardest work a man can do. just have to work yourself into it, be in overall GOOD physical condition, keep your body full of electrolytes, and keep adequately hydrated. aspirin, if you can take it, is good to help clear out lactic acid at the end of the day. we also salted our after-work beer, under the theory that a little alcohol helped with absorption (who knows, sounded good).