PDA

View Full Version : My Journey to the Paleo World...

SKULL1
05-17-10, 19:35
I have been chunky since i was little. Never been grossly obessed but my highest weight was 260 lbs. Mind you i'm only 5'7 but i don't look that bad.. except i always have layers of fat in my belly. i love food and still do just until recently i started to changed my lifestyle and that introduced me to the world of Paleo Nutrition. I started 3 weeks ago and my weight was 237 lbs. and it drastically changed by body. been doing some research and kyle defoor made some really interesting points regarding our human body. my goal is to get to 180 lbs by the end of this year. Is that impossible? not sure.. but it's feasible.... i only eat 2X day, works 10-12 hours 6day/week but i still manage to run 2.5 mile 3xwk. No more sugars and carbs but there are times i still crave those unhealthy goodies..

I just started documenting my progress started 5/9/10. 223 lbs.. currently on Day 9 i'm 219.6 lbs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/50d035.jpg

the reason i started these thread for i started get side tract and loss my focus towards my goal. I will update this thread every week with a picture of my current weight. In that it will encourage me more to pursue my goals in life. NEVER BE CALLED FATSO AGAIN... EVER..

Pointers would be greatly appreciated... thanks..:D

chuckman
05-18-10, 06:22
At some point you'll need to introduce carbs. Sure, stay away from sugar and processed crap, but whole grains and complex carbs are good (and good for you).

Remember, it's all about creating a calorie deficit.

Dos Cylindros
05-18-10, 10:34
Good for you, and stick with it. About three years ago I had blown up to 291 lbs, after being a life long college and high school athlete (I just got lazy and let myself go). I had a life changing experience and decided to do something about it. I now hover between 175 and 180 lbs and have run several marathons and various other things I never thought I would be able to do, even when I was a serious athlete.

My one word of caution, is that it is in no way good to only eat twice a day. Never miss breakfast, and five to six meals a day is the best rule to jump start your fat burning. Carbs are good, but only those derived from true whole grains or fruit. Stay away from enriched flour of any kind, hydrogonated oils and high fruictose corn syrup.

Good luck.

BushmasterFanBoy
05-18-10, 18:00
I made the shift to Paleo this week myself. I already lost most of my weight (went from 285-180 today) in the span of a year without going Paleo, but I wanna get to a lean 160, and I'm hoping that it can get me there.

I've adhered to the diet pretty well, but I kind of struggle to keep my calories low (1500 a day, but I often get to 1800-2000), especially with so much "raw" food, like fruits and nuts which instantly mean a snack in my mind. Been drinking lots of water to curb snacking. I like the appeal of the diet's "naturalism", it just makes you feel more caveman! If anything, I'd say it seems worth it so far just for the placebo effect. :D

Always been kind of a naturalist/survivalist type, so I guess I'm already drawn to that kind of thing. I'm here with ya buddy. All you need to do is devote yourself to it, and never lose your commitment. You have a bottomless reservoir of motivation, you cannot be sapped, even if you think you're running dry. A bad day is to be expected now and then, hell you can even recover from a bad week, but the important thing is to never, ever quit.

This might be odd to say, but anymore, I exercise on the weekends and have to "push" myself to go shoot once a month, that's a complete 180 from where I was. In my mind, I feel I'm training harder and better if I'm running as opposed to putting rounds on target.

Good luck, and remember, we're all with ya, keep posting the pics, it helps keep you on track.

SKULL1
05-23-10, 10:10
thanks for the tip guys...;)

i need to update this thread..

currently i'm 219.0 on Day 15. i have been doing a lot of push ups and training. although i did not loss a whole lot of weight but i believed i gain more muscle mass. i am faster, leaner and more mobile than before. not to mention a year ago my waist line was size 42 now i can fit on 36. My wife brought the camera with her so i can't post my actual weight from the scale. Here's my latest picture taken last friday training wearing a 26 lbs vest and all the bells and whistles and have no problem with it for 4 hours of constant motion.:p

you gotta love my new diet.. beats the salad diet by a mile..:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/trainingday082.jpg

trojanman
05-26-10, 01:48
If you are going to paleo grains are out no matter what people say about whole grain goodness nonesence. If you buy into paleo part of the belief is that only after man started growing and eating grains did we start with diabetes and cancers. If you have not read the book I would. Also consider the primal blueprint and look at the web sight called marks daily apple. Bottome line is its the most simple diet meat fruit veggies nuts and seeds. I said all that to say grains are bad. Good luck and it will change your life.

8200rpm
05-30-10, 02:13
I started with a direction towards Paleo with absolutely no real interest in going strict Paleo. At first, it seemed a bit overwhelming dropping all grains (bread, rice, pasta, tortilla, cake, pastry), diary (cheese, yogurt), and sugar (sauces, deserts and juices).

First, I made a conscious attempt to eat less grains. Avoided ordering pasta, rice, bread, bean based meals at restaurants. Started out by eating half as much rice/pasta/bread at home if the wife prepared it, and substituted it with fresh vegetables and meat. After a few weeks, it became easier and easier to drop grain-based foods altogether from meals. I can eat entire meals without grains, dairy, sugar, etc. without feeling like I'm missing out on something.

I can't do it for every single meal. Sometimes it's just not practical. But, my overall diet is far more Paleo than it was when I started. If I can do Paleo for even 4 of 5 of my meals, it's a lot better than the USDA food pyramid, tax-payer subsidized, grain-based diet I was on.

The one thing that will keep me from going strict Paleo is the no fermentation product (vinegar and alcohol) rule. I'm not a big drinker, but I gotta have my pickled vegetables and vinegar.

Lunch today... not quite Paleo, but much better than a plate of fettacini alfredo or fried rice and orange chicken.

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/8416/img0824qd.jpg

Korean BBQ Short Ribs
On a bed of fresh spinach, bell pepper, red and white cabbage, and avocado with a chili paste, vinegar and sesame oil emulsion.

Simpler Times Pilsner - $2.99 per 6-pack at Trader Joe's.

Strawberry Cupcake - $2 :rolleyes: from the local baker... a treat for my toddler. Thought it would look really out of place in between gun and a can of beer.

Glock 35 w/ TLR-1 - nightstand gun

120mm
04-13-11, 11:36
Well...

Starving people don't develop diabetes.

And cancer is a disease most commonly associated with living to old age.

Good thing Paleo man was stunted and starved, and died at 35.

I bet he didn't even realize how ****ing healthy he was before he died of malnutrition at 5'2" at age 35.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-13-11, 13:30
Well...

Starving people don't develop diabetes.

And cancer is a disease most commonly associated with living to old age.

Good thing Paleo man was stunted and starved, and died at 35.

I bet he didn't even realize how ****ing healthy he was before he died of malnutrition at 5'2" at age 35.

Thats because he probably got trampled to death trying to kill a bison with a spear.

trojanman
04-13-11, 14:29
120mm I don't think what you are saying is based in fact. At least not jiving with what I have read.

BooneGA
04-13-11, 16:10
I am not "paleo" but I think I understand what 120 is talking about.

As I stated in the Crossfit thread earlier. Paleo is A way to become more aware of what you eat and be able to make better choices for yourself. There are again, arguments both for and against it that are very convincing. Everyone needs to be ready to admit, as previously stated, your way is not THE way only A way.

There are some very good portions of the paleo method of thought, but occasionally some people go overboard and seem to follow the diet as a zealot as opposed to someone who is openminded to what the goal really is. Is the goal to religiously follow a set rule book and you are guarunteed dominate your sport physically? Or is it to be aware and make better decisions in order to better support your training objectives?

Rick

gbackus
04-13-11, 19:17
At some point you'll need to introduce carbs. Sure, stay away from sugar and processed crap, but whole grains and complex carbs are good (and good for you).

Remember, it's all about creating a calorie deficit.

Bull poopy. The only part of your body that requires any form of sugar at all is your brain, and even then the equivalent of 4 teaspoons of sugar worth is more than enough to keep it running.

You do not ever at any point HAVE to reintroduce carbs you feel you function better without them. For myself, I learned that I suffer from IBS and so the choice to reintroduce certain foods was in a way already made for me.

Kirkrv8
04-13-11, 20:31
Wow fitness and "nutrition" is almost as bad as religion and politics :D
To the OP good for you I was at 240+ and now and am 175, it can be done!

dookie1481
04-13-11, 21:14
I said all that to say grains are bad. Good luck and it will change your life.

No, they are not. No food is inherently "bad", unless you are eating something that is giving off gamma radiation or something similarly absurd.

aalmcc4
04-13-11, 21:29
Hey 120mm, My thoughts exactly. The human body is pretty much worn out at 40. We live longer than that with better quality of life now because of technology, modern medicine etc.

But 40 is when men's testosterone levels plummet, our eyes go bad, we get crepitus in our knees. We are more suceptible to injury and it takes longer for us to heal from them. In a primitive society with no dental care, by 40, you've probabaly lost some teeth already. By 40 we've had kids, and probabaly lived long enough to where they can (physically) take care of themselves (in a primitive society) and no lnger need us.

Sounds horrible but around 40, we're ready to die. (Again, in a primitive society).

My 2 cents.

Gobakus, complex carbs are the fuel for our muscles. We need them. Simple scientific fact. Without proper levels of complex carbs, over time, our body begins to feed off itself by breaking down lean muscle mass to use as fuel. Can someone dispute that? Just asking.

Mr. Goodtimes
04-13-11, 23:24
I don't think paleo is the do all end all by any means, but I think it's a great guide to help us avoid heavily processed foods. A lot of health problems and cancers we have today can be linked to all the processed foods we eat and diabetes is a result of consuming too many simple carbs. We need carbs for fuell and energy but the carbs humans consumed 5000, or even 100 years ago were much different than what many people consume today.

gbackus
04-14-11, 02:29
Gobakus, complex carbs are the fuel for our muscles. We need them. Simple scientific fact. Without proper levels of complex carbs, over time, our body begins to feed off itself by breaking down lean muscle mass to use as fuel. Can someone dispute that? Just asking.

A sugar is a sugar is a sugar. ALL carbohydrates must be broken down into the same basic components simple components(fructose, glucose, sucrose, galactose) in order to be utilized as energy.

There is one and only one part of your body that must run on sugar based energy, and that is your brain, and the amount you need can actually be gleaned through gluconeogensis because it is such a small amount(though i wouldn't recomend it because a single serving of any carb would be more than sufficient).

Every other tissue in your body can be run off of fat based energies. Your body needs protein to repair and maintain protein based structures(hair, skin, muscles, bone, etc.), your body needs fat to repair and maintain fat based structures(the cell wall of pretty much every cell in your body), maintain hormone production, and for energy. Your body does NOT need carbohydrate matter to repair or maintain any tissue in the body, and does not NEED(which is not to say it can't utilize) carbohydrates for energy production/usage.

theblackknight
04-14-11, 17:51
What I've basically found thru my food quest is that any diet that has a word other than "balanced" in front is a fad, and prob just someone trying to sell you a program,book etc. Eating a balanced diet with the RIGHT kind of protiens,carbs,fats and sugars is what will do you well.

Crazy shit like eating like a caveman or taking all meats or animal products out of your diet is putting other personal issues above a good diet, and short changing yourself in the end.

theblackknight
04-14-11, 17:53
and avocado with a chili paste, vinegar and sesame oil emulsion.

I MUST MAKE THIS

ap1220
04-14-11, 18:55
Not trying to pile on but I have also read that cholestoral may become an issue with the Paleo diet, especially if high cholestoral runs in your family.

Glad it's working for you OP and others that are doing it, just be careful.

Hobbes
04-15-11, 13:37
Guys, Paleo is NOT a "no carb" diet. It's a no processed foods diet. You want carbs? GO FOR IT. Sweet potatoes are an excellent paleo friendly option, as is broccoli, squash, and most veggies and fruit. You do NOT need grains to get carbs. Carbs are not evil, it's just that most people get WAY too many because they fill up on bread and pasta.

Now, whether or not you buy into the caveman nonsense (I don't) I think the final conclusion of paleo is a good one- eat real, whole food that has not been processed. That's the basics of it.

Hobbes
04-15-11, 13:43

Yes, actually the muscles can use fat for energy. The brain still needs carbs of course (but not very much IIRC).

Again though, strict paleo is actually a moderate carb diet as you should be eating TONS of veggies which will give your body plenty of carbs for functioning and will not even let your body enter ketosis. If you enter ketosis on paleo, then you are probably not eating enough veggies. (in general, for most people)

aalmcc4
04-17-11, 11:47
SOME veggies have adequate carbs, ie, potatos, beans etc. Most do not.

Sugar may be sugar, but not as it enters your body. Simple and complex carbs are different and are utitlized by your body differntly.

Simple sugars are used quickly. (Sugar high and sugar crash) Generally not desiraeable

Complex carbs ( potatos rice grains etc) are stored carbs, the real "fuel" for your body. You need them.

Hobbes
04-17-11, 12:25

Sugar may be sugar, but not as it enters your body. Simple and complex carbs are different and are utitlized by your body differntly.

Simple sugars are used quickly. (Sugar high and sugar crash) Generally not desiraeable

Complex carbs ( potatos rice grains etc) are stored carbs, the real "fuel" for your body. You need them.

That's just not true. The carbs you get from green leafy veggies are more than adequate for all but endurance athletes. Sweet potatoes are complex carb too BTW. Regular potatoes are starchy and grains ate just not needed.

Tmed
04-17-11, 22:07

I understand where you are coming from that's what we were all taught in nutrition classes. But there is a whole lot of evidence out there that all those beliefs about Carbs and fats were wrong! You owe it to yourself to look into this issue further. I'm not advocating Paleo, but once you look into other diets like the MediterAsian diet and Paleo and read the science behind them you will be shocked at how much sense it makes. I was! One of the best I've read is Arthritis Interrupted. Simple to read and easy to understand, it changed the way I look at food and nutrition.

photosniper
04-27-11, 23:42
I'm gonna jump in on this because I've been about 80% primal (paleo, whatever) since September.

First off, I can tell you for a fact that limiting or completely eliminating grains from my diet has made me 100% healthier. I gain my carbs from leafy greens, broccoli and the sort.

Before going primal, I had all sorts of problems associated with being a 40ish year old male who's lead an semi-active lifestyle. I was carrying an extra 25 lbs, my bad cholesterol was high and my doc wanted to put me on blood pressure medicine. I had irritable bowl syndrome and a ridiculous amount of joint pain.

I started experimenting with the primal lifestyle (it is NOT a diet) and started seeing results immediately. I dropped from almost 190 (I'm 5'9") to 162. My blood pressure is now normal and my cholesterol is still high, but my bad cholesterol is half what it used to be. The difference is now my good cholesterol is up due to my diet and exercise routine.
The pluming now works as it's supposed too and my joints feel better than when I was 20. Matter of fact, my overall health is better than when I was 20.
I believe all my results were from the choice of reducing grain consumption to almost nothing. The only bread I have eaten was during the holidays and that was modest at most. I've cut pasta from my diet to maybe once a month, hard considering I'm Italian.

I also fast intermittently, though not intentionally. I exercise 3 mornings a week, and on the days I do not, I normally don't eat until mid-afternoon. I'm just not hungry.

Overall, I try to keep my average intake to something like 50-100 grams of carbs, 125 grams of protein and the rest of my calories from quality fat sources. A fairly traditional Primal/Paleo breakdown. My only weakness is sweets, and that will sometimes throw my numbers off a little, but I'm still not eating the 300-500 grams of carbs a day like I was on a conventional diet.

I'm a big fan of Mark Sisson, but I visit and read most all Paleo/Primal blogs. I agree with the idea that 3 million years of genetic advancement can't be wrong and that humans definitely started suffering poor health as a result of farming. Yep, more people ate, which increased the "life span" statistics but I believe that our overall health has dramatically decreased as a result.
And btw - the whole "only lived to 35" thing is horse pucky. Pre-modern man lived well into his 70's and possibly 80's, the difference in the average life span is because of infant mortality and early death due to injury.

SKULL1
10-27-11, 08:08
i have to admit that it was a struggle and it aint easy in the past few months. However, the thread of Alaskapopo inspired me to be serious with my weight loss journey. I started this thread and weight 223 lbs.. but i gained some weight and went north to 235lbs. I became lazy again and have been eating unhealthy foods. But i just woke one morning while reading m4C and decided that the show must go on.

Made some changes with my diet(modified paleo), i have been doing lots of training twice a week of combatives(street fighting), i switched to barefoot running(using NB minimus) and crossfit. And oh boy was i surprised that i weight 206.2 lbs just this morning. The last time i weight less than 210 was like 14 years ago.:D

yes, i will post a picture of the weighing scale when i get home from work later tonight.. :ph34r:

The Knuckle
10-27-11, 14:55
Skull1,

Just happened to catch the word Paleo which drew me to your post.

My old room mate weighed in close to 400lbs and now weighs in around the 220's. I lived with him during the whole transformation.

He accomplished this through Paleo but also used the Zone diet and Crossfit for cardio. It took him about a year because there where times he fell off the diet wagon, but after he got into a habit of doing the diet and exercise, the weight melted off.

I think its important to mention, that it was a lifestyle change for him. He eats well and exercise weekly. BUT, he does in moderation, enjoy sweets. One other thing is, he was a big guy for a reason, he loves to eat. So one of his favorite thing to do, is go out to the all you can eat buffet and eat till we can't walk anymore.

Anyways, if you find yourself plateauing at a certain weight give Zone and crossfit a look. Zone is great because you are never left hungry and it really focuses on the right balance of nutrition your body needs.

Crossfit, I can't say enough good things about Crossfit. I used to do the normal cardio/weight lifting thing in the gym, and Crossfit is on a completely different level. It took a little getting used to but now I think most other exercise fall short. IF, you want to get "IN SHAPE" just google videos of the crossfit games, it will blow your mind on how physically fit these people are.

Good luck on your goal! Paleo and Zone cook books where really helpful too.

SKULL1
10-27-11, 19:11
Good luck on your goal! Paleo and Zone cook books where really helpful too.

Thanks bro.. i started doing cross fit when buddy was in training for the police academy. After he graduated and became a cop.. i don't have any more training partner for a few months and that's where i started slipping again. Until my co worker decided to be my training partner and i can assure i will never go down in the route again.

And you are absolutely spot on on change of lifestyle. No more large orders for me.. just small size when we eat out and staying out of the fast food joint. I specifically instructed my wife to do more grilling than deep fried stuff. So far me and my family are eating much healthier and better.

here's my actual weight as of today. Last time i remember i was below 210 was like 12-15 years.. i always floating around 220lbs..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/IMG_1564.jpg

i did 4 mile's today on my lunch break. i could have gone faster except i have to slow down to encourage my training buddy to make it to 4 miles. I'm using NW minimus.. barefoot running is awesome..:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/IMG_1565.png

BearClaw Bigsby
10-28-11, 15:30
I have been eating "primal" for over a year now and have also implemented intermittent fasting

and I approve this thread.

WillBrink
10-28-11, 16:23
Hey 120mm, My thoughts exactly. The human body is pretty much worn out at 40.

Hold old are you?:cool:

SKULL1
10-31-11, 17:25
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/384019_2445507904485_1455511429_2571843_1695658132_n.jpg

street run... with several stop signs.. still really slow...:D

SKULL1
11-01-11, 22:15
Was able to break the sub 10min/mile today... :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/314950_2448703104363_1455511429_2575463_751631230_n-1.jpg

SKULL1
11-03-11, 19:47
Did another 4 miles today.. using NB minimus.. i love this thing.. i can feel i am getting faster and my endurance is getting better. i will try to push myself to 5 miles in 2 weeks.. i really hate long distance running in the past but i kinda like looking forward to it lately...:D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/297851_2455929605021_1455511429_2580496_702274377_n.jpg

pleaforwar
11-04-11, 00:41
I'm glad you like you NB's for running, because I sure don't. Don't get me wrong, they are light as hell and great for the box gym, but I feel absolutely no support on the trail/road/treadmill. I have a couple pairs of Pearl Izumi kicks that I love running in.

SKULL1
11-05-11, 07:52
I'm glad you like you NB's for running, because I sure don't. Don't get me wrong, they are light as hell and great for the box gym, but I feel absolutely no support on the trail/road/treadmill. I have a couple pairs of Pearl Izumi kicks that I love running in.

yup, i feel the same way too.. but mostly i run on the street. if i go trail running i might find another barefoot shoes that offers better protection like the VivoBarefoot NeoTrail.

I clocked 11 miles total in 5 days. So far my weight loss is kinda slow since i incorporated weight training. Last time i weight 205 was in high school i never looked back.. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/photo-1.jpg

pleaforwar
11-05-11, 10:55
Skull, so you are doing a Crossfit, running, and building program??

SKULL1
11-05-11, 15:13
Skull, so you are doing a Crossfit, running, and building program??
it's crazier than that..:D

Monday: 12PM 45min. crossfit medley
Tuesday: 12PM 1 mile run then K bells
6-7PM combatives (street fighting)
Wednesday: 6-7AM Free weights
Thursday: 6:00- 6:30 AM Free weights
12PM 4 mile run
6-7PM: combatives
Friday: 6:00-6:30 AM Free weight
12PM 2 mile run and plyometrics
occasionaly: i play basketball on Friday evening for 2-3 hours
Saturday: off
Sunday: off

so in a nutshell.. this is my regular schedule in the past 2 months.:fie:

BearClaw Bigsby
11-07-11, 14:42
I think you may see better weight loss results, and fitness results by spreading those rest days out throughout the week, or at least cutting your workload every other day. Your thursday's are overdoing it. sometimes less is more.

I would recommend doing weight training prior to a short, 10-25min MAX, crossfit workout on mondays. and get rid of the "free-weights" on thursday. following more of a crossfit endurance or gym jones-esq schedule.

also,
what does your paleo diet look like?

BearClaw Bigsby
11-07-11, 14:44
Crossfit, I can't say enough good things about Crossfit. I used to do the normal cardio/weight lifting thing in the gym, and Crossfit is on a completely different level. It took a little getting used to but now I think most other exercise fall short. IF, you want to get "IN SHAPE" just google videos of the crossfit games, it will blow your mind on how physically fit these people are.

Just wait until when/if they every test for illegal substances in those games...

pleaforwar
11-07-11, 23:13
it's crazier than that..:D

Monday: 12PM 45min. crossfit medley
Tuesday: 12PM 1 mile run then K bells
6-7PM combatives (street fighting)
Wednesday: 6-7AM Free weights
Thursday: 6:00- 6:30 AM Free weights
12PM 4 mile run
6-7PM: combatives
Friday: 6:00-6:30 AM Free weight
12PM 2 mile run and plyometrics
occasionaly: i play basketball on Friday evening for 2-3 hours
Saturday: off
Sunday: off

so in a nutshell.. this is my regular schedule in the past 2 months.:fie:

Damn dude, I would say this much, I have owned a couple editions of "Getting Stronger", a book by former Mr. Olympia Bill Pearl, and he offered a pearl of wisdom in the pages; you shouldn't beat yourself up with overdoing your physical activities because most people eventually give up.
I'm not saying you are most people, nor how you should workout. All I can do is offer what I have learned from my own personal experience. In the past, when I have undertaken multiple challenging workouts a day, day after day, I was never able to stick to it for more than 6 months. I know what it's like to desire immediate results, but the exhaustion always becomes overwhelming.
Now I do Crossfit 3-4 days a week, with lifting 1-3 days a week and rarely on the same day.

Brimstone
12-12-11, 22:27
Still at it Skull?

SKULL1
12-12-11, 22:49
Still at it Skull?

yes.. i am pretty much in the program.. although it's not that easy and it's a roller coaster ride.:cray:

just got a new pair of new balance MT20 minimus... run 4.7 today..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/375339_2593033592535_1455511429_2639909_1619421905_n.jpg

i am now down to 202 from 205lbs.. my weight loss is kinda slow since i am now lifting weights.. my goal it go below 200 lbs before the end of the year... :D

SKULL1
12-12-11, 22:52
my current weight..:secret:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ehrljohn/337924_2687621157165_1455511429_2673639_2124719618_o.jpg

SKULL1
12-19-11, 09:23
last week was rough.. i gained 2 pounds and been eating at chinese buffet.. today i have to get back into the program...

JohnnyRooks
01-08-12, 09:52
edit...

SKULL1
01-08-12, 21:07
from a very chunky waistline of 42 to 36... i gotta keep this thread open to keep my motivations high.. :D

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7164/6664162061_b0cc61174d_b.jpg

prdubi
01-31-12, 00:33
congrats....in the end...different diets work with different people.

Being half asian myself...cutting out sugar and carbs made everything drop on my weight.

ricksterr
02-06-12, 23:37
keep up the good until it becomes your lifestyle =) Good job!

prdubi
02-07-12, 00:10
sorry..but I am not gonna piss in your cereal...but I really really think you can do better.

Personally speaking...what habits are you changing that will prevent this from happening again?

I mean that's great...exercise..some diet change...but losing weight is entirely a lifestyle issue also.....

zoran
05-04-12, 23:50
sorry..but I am not gonna piss in your cereal...but I really really think you can do better.

Personally speaking...what habits are you changing that will prevent this from happening again?

I mean that's great...exercise..some diet change...but losing weight is entirely a lifestyle issue also.....

STFU.. Show some support. Go piss in your own cereal!

prdubi
05-05-12, 01:39
nah.....I won't....

America and the world is on a yo yo diet left and right.

Paleo is a LIFESTYLE not a FRIGGIN DIET.

People keep getting it into their head that "ohh I'm fat.. I need to go on a diet...:rolleyes:"...

really now...

WHAT GOT YOU INTO THAT PATH IN THE FIRST PLACE????

Shitty diet, stress, bad choices, life itself????

One can be Paleo, Atkins, etc, etc, it is not a diet it is a lifestyle choice and it will not WORK for everyone and everybody.

My support for this thread is asking...that's great.....congrats on everything, just asking like a druggie or alcoholic, what will stop your relapse?

For myself, I gave up soda completely,not even diet soda because I'm allergic to aspartame, given up carbs and use low carbs when I can, the goal is to keep it low at least less than 80 grams.

My gist and beef is that people need to CHANGE THEIR LIFESTYLE.....Paleo is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change.

BTW, my wife is on the paleo due to IBS and it is helping her immensely..for her and many others in her support group, it is a GOD SEND lifestyle change, not a diet.

Keep up the good work but remember that if it is working for you, great....if not...perhaps it is not for you, like atkins or juicing, smoothies, vegetarians, vegans, cave-man, etc etc.

prdubi
05-05-12, 01:45
STFU.. Show some support. Go piss in your own cereal!

wow relevant first post...

such amazing trolling....

typical....support from your far EASTERN friends....:rolleyes:

try harder.....

as for OP......seriously think it down and rev to 120 if paleo works for you.

I know several asians mostly Filipinos, that got out of diabetic and other health problems after going Paleo COMPLETELY.....

zoran
05-05-12, 10:08
wow relevant first post...

typical....support from your far EASTERN friends....:rolleyes:

try harder.....

Far Eastern friends? Missing what you're getting at here. Let's keep in mind that a diet is a lifestyle and lifestyle can be a diet. A diet is what you consume. You could have a pastrami sandwich diet or you could follow a paleo diet. Not really trolling here either. I was reading along and I think everyone's bodies are different. Some people can be rail thin and have a good physique eating pizza all day long and others need to try harder. The guy is trying, leave him alone. If you think he should try harder PM him and HELP him. Don't clown on him in an open forum.

done "trolling" here.

SKULL1
05-06-12, 12:58
wow.. i'm surprised that this thread is alive and well.. :D

obviously for a very obvious reason that this thread was not updated.. well paleo diet/lifestyle change...or whatever you call it.. for i am extremely busy with work, training and family.

yes.. paleo diet/change of lifestyle helped me get on track and keep me up to speed to get away from a bad unhealthy asian cuisine.

here's the stuff that i do everyweek.. (no more couch lazy ass potato)
Monday: Brazilian jujitsu
Tuesday: Combative Training
Wednesday: Crossfit
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Gun fu
Saturday/Sunday: light exercises and spend time with family..

some recent photos..;)

carving the mountain..

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5040/7148961833_797b1def2d_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7140/7143754581_6a911b74c5_b.jpg

skywalkrNCSU
05-06-12, 21:51
Paleo is a great diet if you can keep it up. I lost a lot of weight when I was strict but after being heavily involved in nutrition and working out for the past couple years I have realized that the reason so many people see success in the paleo diet is because they go from eating a bunch of processed crap to whole foods. You can throw in some grains in there and would still see great results. All I try to do now is avoid processed food, stick with "natural" (hate calling it that) foods, and let yourself indulge every now and then.

munch520
05-21-12, 14:30
Great thread Skull - your commitment is contagious! Keep it up. Any updates?

I've recently been introduced to the method of eating and I love it. Close friends are hardcore members of the wrestling community at the olympic level, and I was turned on to paleo by them. A couple are strength and nutrition trainers for big 10 programs...they know their shit. I've been surprised by paleo and how it's fairly easy to do and you can really can feel the results after only a couple days.

I fail to see the reason for hate towards paleo, cf, etc. There's fanboyism and douchery in all methods of fitness and nutrition. And there's the pushy guys that try to preach 'their way'. The OP wasn't being "that guy". Try it or don't try it, neither will kill you. It's helped me maximize workouts and enhance my fast twitch capabilities, even after being weight trained and competing (track and field) at an int'l level. The negativity is unnecessary, hats off to the OP for his progress.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t294/myersma2/Stuff/haters_gonna_hate_2.jpg

An interesting and entertaining lecture on paleo and related topics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PdJFbjWHEU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

ETA: on or after about 1hr is the glucose, insulin, paleo, etc discussion

amac
05-21-12, 15:26
Skull, congrats on the hard work. You have to feel good about the results. Keep it up. As for your weight plateauing, have you considered a body fat test? With all the strength training you're doing, you should be increasing muscle, which weighs more than fat. And your neck and waist are probably getting narrower and narrower.

Keep fighting!

Irish
07-29-12, 23:12
Any further progress?

sniperfrog
07-30-12, 15:24
I've been doing the paleo thing for about 6 months now. I was very skeptical at first But a friend that owns a CF gym convinced me to try it. I lost about 3.5" off my waist and nearly 20 pounds already.

First 3 weeks sucked ass. I almost said f*#k it. But I gave it a full month and I started feeling better. I went off my acid reflux meds for the first time in 12 years. Before I couldn't go 2 days without it.

Once you get over that addiction to processed crap it gets pretty easy to do. I still cheat here and there but mostly with some chocolate or ice cream.

rushca01
07-30-12, 16:50
Just started again from a year hiatus.

Meat and nuts all week for breakfast. Trying to find what to eat for lunch and dinner, I cut out the bread and I don't drink soda...which can be the hardest to break for some. The bread is mine.

I'll update in 30 days.

munch520
07-30-12, 17:07
Get it Rush!!

Lunches are usually leftover dinner for me. Grilled chicken, steak, sausage, etc and a sweet potato.

I like salads and vegetables so dinners are easy for me. Lean meat or fish + salad, green beans, home made guac, etc. I eat a lot of mushrooms too...can cook them briefly in butter, red wine, and lemon juice if you get bored.

A good salad dressing recipe is lemons, pepper, and olive oil. Simple and doesn't get old.

Guacamole is easy too...1-2 ripe (soft-ish) avocados, fresh lime juice, tomatoes, and garlic salt. Mash it all up and it's good by itself or on top of a salad.

Fruit is good for cravings. Mix some raspberries and blueberries in a bowl with maple-almond butter. ****ing amazing for breakfast or a snack.

ETA: this really helped with my energy level/evening me out. In the first month especially. I take 1 at every meal.
http://www.navarro.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/b/nb_acetyl_carnitine_400_mg_and_ala_200mg_30_image1_2.jpg

And of course 120oz of H20/day :)

rushca01
07-30-12, 21:18
Thanks Munch! Appreciate the encouragement.

Just got done grilling some lean beaf patties for breakfast tomorrow at 930 at night....

I wish I made enough money to pay someone to prepare my meals everyday, two things I am not is a cook and creative with foods.

SKULL1
07-31-12, 00:16
Any further progress?

sorry been really busy lately from work and training. so far so good.. although i have been cheating a lot lately but was still able to maintain my body weight. i have been fluctuating from 200 to 204 lbs... i incorporated a lot of k-bell strengthening exercises. just to give you an idea.. a few years back.. i could barely do a 25lbs. k-bell snatch... now i can do a 50lbs. k-bell easy . my jujitsu/combatives skills are getting much better and my endurance is off the chart compared a few years back. I will be participating in the Tough Mudder coming september so wish me luck.. :D

here's my latest photo..

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7606923630_f186f689de_b.jpg

and a video few months.. i am faster and better.. i paid my dues and it works...;)

http://youtu.be/BbIpHaKZTKs

http://youtu.be/mm46YZrQA-k

Irish
08-01-12, 10:48
Thanks for the insight guys. Been reading Mark's daily apple and just ordered the Primal Living book to form a better opinion.

VooDoo6Actual
08-01-12, 11:51
sorry been really busy lately from work and training. so far so good.. although i have been cheating a lot lately but was still able to maintain my body weight. i have been fluctuating from 200 to 204 lbs... i incorporated a lot of k-bell strengthening exercises. just to give you an idea.. a few years back.. i could barely do a 25lbs. k-bell snatch... now i can do a 50lbs. k-bell easy . my jujitsu/combatives skills are getting much better and my endurance is off the chart compared a few years back. I will be participating in the Tough Mudder coming september so wish me luck.. :D

here's my latest photo..

and a video few months.. i am faster and better.. i paid my dues and it works...;)

OUTSTANDING !

munch520
08-01-12, 13:36
Thanks Munch! Appreciate the encouragement.

Just got done grilling some lean beaf patties for breakfast tomorrow at 930 at night....

I wish I made enough money to pay someone to prepare my meals everyday, two things I am not is a cook and creative with foods.

Makin em ahead of time does make it easier! Good luck buddy

here's my latest photo..

NICE job man

Thanks for the insight guys. Been reading Mark's daily apple and just ordered the Primal Living book to form a better opinion.

This lecture from Doug McGuff is good information on what our body does with processed foods and chemicals at the cellular level. Starting at 1:02:00 or about 1 hour into the video.

SKULL1
10-05-12, 11:30
update: just completed tough mudder saturday and it was a breeze. although some obstacles like the monkey bars i wasn't able to complete( i fell halfway) and olympic rings. :D

The hills were punishing even some of my teammates who are physically fit struggled bad with cramps and fatigue. I was surprised that i pulled it off easy and was helping 2 of my teammates and literally carrying one of them to the top of the hill. :blink:

overall.. i'm pretty happy of my progress.. still got a long ways to go and more training to come. :cray:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8179/8055075729_0cfcfa8c62_b.jpg

SKULL1
10-05-12, 11:33
oh.. BTW.. today is my shiv works/southnarc 3 day class. TD1 starts tonight.:cray:

wish me luck..

https://vimeo.com/42048128

Irish
10-05-12, 11:36
In the past month by getting rid of most processed foods and most carbs I've dropped 15lbs off my gut and am now down to 205lbs. I still love chips & salsa and Mexican food so it's hard to get rid of all of the carbs. I do eat a shitload of steak, bacon, egss and lots of salads now and it's really helped shed those beer calories that got stuck around my middle.

My new motto's been if you can't kill it or grow it I don't eat it!

SKULL1
05-11-13, 01:00
just updating this thread...:D

been really busy lately and my journey has been a tupsy turvy ride. But i'm still hanging and pushing.

I have been doin intermittent fasting (IF) lately combined with paleo diet. 2 months of eating healthy, running, lifting and weight my goes down the drain like crazy. i never really thought i would go down below 200 lbs. I'm always above 200 lbs for the past 15 years.

Current weight: 192 lbs.
Waistline: 32-33 down from 38

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7436/8727008253_d84a0fe06b_b.jpg

gesundheit
05-17-13, 02:10
Good job. And keep it up.

SKULL1
05-19-13, 23:21
Good job. And keep it up.

thanks bro... down to 189 lbs. today.