PDA

View Full Version : Rulemaking Matters!

thopkins22
05-17-10, 19:53
http://www.epa.gov/lawsregs/videocontest/

Explain rulemaking and win $2,500!

Almost every aspect of our lives is touched by federal regulations. Even before you leave the house in the morning, government regulations help set the price of the coffee you drink, the voltage of electricity your alarm clock uses, and the types of programming allowed on the morning news. But many Americans don't understand how rules are made or how they can get involved in the process.

This video contest is your opportunity to explain federal rulemaking and motivate others to participate in the rulemaking process. Create a short video, not to exceed 90 seconds in length, explaining why rules are important, why the average American should care about federal regulations, and how people just like you can participate in the rulemaking process. The E-Rulemaking Program and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's Office of Regulatory and Policy Management (EPA) will award $2,500 to the winner and post his or her video on Regulations.gov as well as the EPA Web site. To get you started, we've provided a fact sheet called A Brief Introduction to Federal Rulemaking (MS Word) (2 pp, 50K), which includes links to more in-depth resources.

So, there are at least a few:D intelligent people here...can somebody top ReasonTV's simple subtitled entry? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvXmDaqNueU
My favorite line from Reason's entry,
Please don't think too hard about what business the EPA has running a video contest, I'm sure it's in the Constitution or something.

I'd love it if the majority of the entries are intelligent videos explaining why excessive federal regulations blow.

glocktogo
05-18-10, 00:26
Federal rulemaking is exactly like congressional lawmaking. For some silly reason, they figure that if you hire or elect them, they should actually do something (unlike 80% of the rest of federal government employees). Lacking anything worthwhile to do, they set about creating dire emergencies, the likes of which only they can solve.

Unfortunately, most of them can't technical write for shit, so what you wind up with is a muddled mess of regulations and laws that keep another entirely overpopulated species of bottom suckers busy, lawyers. It's viscious cycle my friends! :rolleyes: