PDA

View Full Version : Saiga 5.45 & Saiga 7.62x39 Accquired!! How would you outfit them???

BLACK LION
05-17-10, 20:30
I got a sweet deal on a couple Saigas a while back and decided to get one of each.

I have done allot of homework on these rigs and I have even contemplated a couple of mods like converting it to accept AK mags and moving the trigger and guard forward to model the AK design.
Other than things that require drilling and tapping, what additions would you guys make(other than obvious ones like ammo, mags, sling etc...)???
I live in Kalifornia so I am inclined to keep the hunter stock for now until I move out of the state or untiil I can decide on a good pistol grip and stock. If I add a grip and a stock I will need one of these
http://www.solartactical.com/images/1262662242094-968853470.jpegWhich is what I have on my AR15 lower to negate the need for a bullet button device.

I am wondering what I should do to modify these.
I am looking at rail options and what not but I have been told to say NO to Tapco.

Any ideas???

Polymerhead
05-17-10, 21:38
If I had a 7.62 and wanted to keep it basically stock, I'd attach a harris bipod, side-attach picatinny rail above the dust cover and a low-power scope - something like a 1-4x. Add a Blackhawk or similar cheekrest and you have a poor man's M1A, at least out to effective 7.62x39mm ranges. Would be good for defending the ranch, keeping zombies at bay and creating freezer-fulls of venison and wild pork.

Been considering something like this myself. I did a complete conversion, including an Ace folding stock, on my AK, but I don't live in CA.

oef24
05-17-10, 23:19
The best upgrade I have done on my AK's is to add the Ultimak rail. You can mount an Aimpoint Micro and it will co-witness with your irons. You can also add a flashlight with a Vltor Scout QD mount on the same rail. Best upgrade so far. Good luck.

O

500grains
05-18-10, 02:49
I like my AKs with iron sights. I think of them as the ball peen hammer of the gun world. For more delicate work I would take an AR, but if I had to go on a motocross race holding a rifle, probably it would be an AK.

BLACK LION
05-18-10, 11:17
For 320.00 each it was an easy decision.

I already added a BH padded cheek rest and a TAG 2 point sling. I am thinking about using a 511/Vtac single point sling that I have just collecting dust.
I have a Bushnell elite 4200 1.25-4x that was for my 6.8 until I found that I would be better served with a 1-8x on that rig since it is more of an SPR and not a "bush gun".
I also have a Millett Zoom Dot on thier "grabber" mount that I have been saving for a rainy day. It may work well on either.

I am definately going to hook up some sort of railed handguard and am contemplating a grip pod.

Are the Tapco kits garbage?? I had thier parts on my SKS and I broke a piece here and there.

TOrrock
05-18-10, 11:53
If you keep the standard sporting stock on there, will you be able to legally use the detachable SAIGA magazies?

If so, I wouldn't change anything as far as stocks or magazines go.

I'd rather have a detachable 10 rd. SAIGA mag than some bullshit bullet button whatever it is with an AK magazine.

I'd put a BP-02 mount on there and use that 1-4x Bushnell 4200 and see how that works for you.

BLACK LION
05-18-10, 15:11
If you keep the standard sporting stock on there, will you be able to legally use the detachable SAIGA magazies?

If so, I wouldn't change anything as far as stocks or magazines go.

I'd rather have a detachable 10 rd. SAIGA mag than some bullshit bullet button whatever it is with an AK magazine.

I'd put a BP-02 mount on there and use that 1-4x Bushnell 4200 and see how that works for you.

Sound advice. Much appreciated.

Yes, if I keep the hunter stock I am GTG on using detachable mags. Once I add a "pistol grip" everything goes out the window and I have to comply with 922 and all that BS. By adding a grip I have to also add 4 other compliance parts in order to be on the "safe side".
If I leave the hunter stock the way it is I am at liberty to do whatever (withing the scope of the law of course).
Honestly, I like the hunter stock. I have added stippling and a cheek rest and it shoots good. I am going to disconnect the stock from the receiver and slip a hogue hand all over the grip portion to accomodate my big paws.

I will look into that mount. I need to get a railed top cover to accomodate it.

Polymerhead
05-18-10, 18:14
I will look into that mount. I need to get a railed top cover to accomodate it.

I would HIGHLY recommend you stay away from the railed dust covers. They just don't stay zeroed, and are designed to comeoff easily for cleaning and maintenance. Since Saigas have a side mount already installed, it is much better to get a mount that attaches to it and puts a picatinny rail above the dust cover. As I mentioned, a cheekrest will be a must but you'll have a much more solid platform for scope or red dot.

TOrrock
05-18-10, 19:51
I would HIGHLY recommend you stay away from the railed dust covers. They just don't stay zeroed, and are designed to comeoff easily for cleaning and maintenance. Since Saigas have a side mount already installed, it is much better to get a mount that attaches to it and puts a picatinny rail above the dust cover. As I mentioned, a cheekrest will be a must but you'll have a much more solid platform for scope or red dot.

Yup, what he said. The BP-02 attaches to the optics rail on the left side of the receiver and sits more or less in line with the bore above the dust cover.

Dust cover mounts are a non starter.

Fuzzy-Reticle
05-19-10, 11:40
Leave it stock. Add an XSite front site and your done. Caveman simple and nothing to go wrong.

TOrrock
05-19-10, 12:37
I'd personally leave off the XS sight. The guys I saw using them really didn't do well past 100 yds. off hand with them.

BLACK LION
05-19-10, 20:01
Copy.

Going with the side mount. Using a 1-4x24 on the 7.62 and a mini RDS on the 5.45. I will most likely leave the front sight the way it is but add a "Tech-Sight" rear aperture in the near future(had one on my SKS and loved it).

I have the BlackHawk adjustable cheek rest so I wont have a problem whith haveing a good cheek/eye weld.

I am contemplating some sort of muzzle devive and a better handguard. I would also like to convert them to accept AK type mags.
I have allot on my plate but an upcoming gunshow should knock most everything off the list.

DWood
05-20-10, 13:33
As already stated, Ultimak with a red dot is a great set up, allowing co-witness with iron sights.

EVERY soviet optic mount I have found puts the optic to high for me, but then that's just me. The cheek rest will allow a proper sight picture but not allow the use of the irons.

Here is my SGL 31 with Ultimak and T-1.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/DWood13/AK%20Photos/DSC_0240.jpg

Quiet
05-22-10, 05:04
II would also like to convert them to accept AK type mags.

If you convert it to use large capacity AK magazines, you will have to comply with the 922r parts requirements.