PDA

View Full Version : Camelbak Motherload 500D first impression

cmace22
05-17-10, 21:55
After thinking about the price point for a while the Kifaru and Mystery Ranch pack are a bit out of my price range right now at over 300 for either pack. I decided to try out the Eagle A-iii molle pack.

After ordering from SKD I was a little unimpressed with the Eagle. Although from the looks of it, it was very well made.

Things I didnt like:

Straps EVEYWHERE. They were hanging off the pack like I was a balloon in a parade.
The ranger green was way too bright green in person, more like OD. I was going for more of a descreet look and this pack/color combo was not it. There was also no organization to it. Only large open spaces. I know that can be a good thing but it seems like for the money it was really lacking in features. It also didnt come with a hydration pouch although it was set up for one. I just felt that for 155 dollars they could have given more in a pack.

So I went with the pack I have been eyeing for some time now, the Camelbak Motherload 500. All I can say is WOW! Now this is diserving of the 165 dollar price tag. At a 2500ci volume it plenty big for now.

I ordered it in Folage Green in reality its closer to a grey green but the color is everything I was looking for. It has compartmentalized storage for pens PDA/cell phone and another large storage pocket.

It has fleece lined pockets for your glasses goggles or NVG!

It also cam with an OMEGA 3L hydration pouch.

Its made of 500D Cordura which is lighter than the Eagles 1000D. From what I have read its just as durable in a lighter package. Like the eagle although not as much, its covered in molle straps for adding extra gear.

And a bonus, its Near IR compliant reducing the IR signature of the pack.

Anyways just a little quick update. Here are some pics!

Font:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/Motherload001.jpg
Side:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/Motherload007.jpg
Back:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/Motherload005.jpg
Main compartment:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/Motherload006.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/Motherload002.jpg
Better organization:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/cmace22/Motherload004.jpg

kmrtnsn
05-17-10, 23:41
If you don't have anything of value to add then don't post at all...

Voodoochild

cmace22
05-18-10, 00:30
"I am fully aware of my spelling dissability and frankly, I dont care. "

You're under twenty-five, aren't you?

Why should you expect us to care enough to read what you write when you don't show us enough respect to deliver something worth our time and effort? Why should we take the time or try to take you seriously? All you have shown us is that you are ignorant and lazy. Personally, I doubt that is truly the case. You are only as good as what you present. Grow up, get up off your ass and either go back and edit your post or go away.

I believe you are the one that has shown us that you are ignorant and lazy.

A rude and disrespectful response from a "SENIOR MEMBER".

I know this forum has much better people to represent the ideals of this forum and your post has proven that.

What does my post count have to do with anything... Really. who peed in your cornfalkes today?

You should take your own advice

You are only as good as what you present.

Frankly you presented an extremely rude condescending individual with a god complex.

Are you aware what this symbol means? :)

bkb0000
05-18-10, 00:38
"I am fully aware of my spelling dissability and frankly, I dont care. "

You're under twenty-five, aren't you?

Why should you expect us to care enough to read what you write when you don't show us enough respect to deliver something worth our time and effort? Why should we take the time or try to take you seriously? All you have shown us is that you are ignorant and lazy. Personally, I doubt that is truly the case. You are only as good as what you present. Grow up, get up off your ass and either go back and edit your post or go away.

thats his sigline, hones. since its at the end of every post he makes, i think you should probably edit YOUR post and take that up in PM.

OP- thanks for the review. i may actually think about upgrading, now... i'm currently sporting the HAWG, which, at the time i bought it, was the largest camelbak they made. it's ALMOST perfect for my needs, but it would be nice to be able to squeeze another couple MREs and/or ammo in it. the motherload is probably what i should be using for my 48-hour bag.

cmace22
05-18-10, 00:42
thats his sigline, hones. since its at the end of every post he makes, i think you should probably edit YOUR post and take that up in PM.

OP- thanks for the review. i may actually think about upgrading, now... i'm currently sporting the HAWG, which, at the time i bought it, was the largest camelbak they made. it's ALMOST perfect for my needs, but it would be nice to be able to squeeze another couple MREs and/or ammo in it. the motherload is probably what i should be using for my 48-hour bag.

Thank you. It has been my experience here in the 3 YEARS I have been a member that posts like his are the exception to the rule.

Anyways, I thought about the HAWG as well. After seeing the thought and quality that goes into there packs I wouldn't hesitate to buy more of there products.

P.S. He may have issue with your sig line as well lol

TimW
05-18-10, 10:53
I sell both Eagle gear and Camelbak gear, and own a lot of each.

In terms of robustness and durability, there is no comparison. Eagle wins.

Now, as to the OPs discussion of the features, etc. You have to remember that the Eagle A-III is an old design....it's been around since AT LEAST when I started in the business in 2002, and probably a lot longer than that. If you look at pretty much any backpack, whether an "assault" pack, 3 day pack, or standard backpack, that's all they were...big sacks of unorganization. They never came with reservoirs.

They were meant to carry gear that one might use on a patrol, camping, or as a revision of the standard college book bag. My 1987 Jansport book bag I had in graduate school...very similar in design to an A-III...had absolutely zero in the way of organization. And neither did the book bag I had in high school or college.

The trend toward micro-organization within tactical backpacks, that I saw first in Camelbak (though may not have started there) was around 2005 or so...maybe a little earlier. I don't know when things like pencil slots, key-fobs, cellphone holders, etc., were introduced into school backpacks.

The Camelbak bags are, IMO, more of a hybrid between the old-school...and some current...military backpacks and modern college book bags. As an aside...given that Camelbak began, and continues to be, a HYDRATION company, it's no surprise that it comes with a hydration reservoir...that's their bread-and-butter and they'd be stupid to not include one.

Eagle, Kifaru and Mystery Ranch? They are gear makers, not hydration pack manufacturers. None of them come with hydration reservoirs, and none off the 'organization' features that Camelbak does.

Does this mean they are inferior to Camelbak products? No. Doesn't mean that CB is inferior to them, either, apart maybe from the build-quality and durability standpoint....though I've never had a Camelbak product fail, I have had customers who've come back after a tour overseas and mention a zipper blew out. I've never heard that from anyone who has used an Eagle, Kifaru or MR pack. Doesn't mean it's not happened, only that I haven't heard about it.

Now, all that said, most of my packs are Camelbaks. Why? Because I live in the desert and having water with me, at all times, is something I enjoy. :)

Nice pics, by the way.

ST911
05-18-10, 11:01
The Motherlode is an interesting layout and a great 48hr pack. Others mentioned the HAWG. HAWG is a 2/3 pack, a great day pack, but could use a bit more space for many roles.

I'd like to see a 1000D Motherlode, sans PALS, in a non-mil color.

Thanks for posting.

cmace22
05-18-10, 11:06
The quality was clearly there on the Eagle pack. I did like it and I understand the CB packs are more of a hybrid.

I actually probably would have kept the Eagle if the color was correct. Im thinking now they may have sent me the OD instead of the Ranger Green.

I am very pleased I got a chance to see them both though. I think the CB just fit me better.

One day ill get that MR Big Horn :)

cmace22
05-18-10, 11:09
The Motherlode is an interesting layout and a great 48hr pack. Others mentioned the HAWG. HAWG is a 2/3 pack, a great day pack, but could use a bit more space for many roles.

I'd like to see a 1000D Motherlode, sans PALS, in a non-mil color.

Thanks for posting.

There are a few people who have the Original Motherload which is 1000D in stock. Botach Tactical is one I believe. Im not sure if CB is producing both or just switching to the 500D, but you can still find the 1000D around.

Black and Foliage are the only non military colors I think.

Now I got my eye on the BFM!

TimW
05-18-10, 11:20
The HAWG, at about 1200 c.i., is half the size of the Motherlode, so not sure how you can call a Motherlode a 2 day pack (48 hour) and the HAWG a 2/3 day pack...unless that's two-thirds of a day and not "2 or 3 day" pack as I sort of interpreted it. If the latter, then "nevermind". :)

The GMI line for Camelbak is distinctly different from their recreational line. Given this, and that the customer-base for GMI is, well, government/military/industrial, the demand for 1000D non-military color packs is minimal, at best. They make packs for the military, mostly, hence the color choices. Black is really the only non-mil color, since Foliage is part of the AUC pattern and is used for those items that can't be done in the full AUC pattern.

If you ordered 500+ packs, I know Camelbak will make whatever color you want. As a friend says "The answer is always 'yes'. The question revolves around 'how much?'"

ST911
05-18-10, 12:04
The HAWG, at about 1200 c.i., is half the size of the Motherlode, so not sure how you can call a Motherlode a 2 day pack (48 hour) and the HAWG a 2/3 day pack...unless that's two-thirds of a day and not "2 or 3 day" pack as I sort of interpreted it. If the latter, then "nevermind". :)

Poor expression of an internal thought process, but the latter is close. Mostly, 2/3 (approx) of the overall footprint of a "standard" three-day, but 2/3 of a day would be close, too, etc. Not necessarily 2/3 of capacity. Hope that makes more sense.

HAWG is definitely not a 2 -or- 3 day pack, unless you're a really light packer.

The GMI line for Camelbak is distinctly different from their recreational line. Given this, and that the customer-base for GMI is, well, government/military/industrial, the demand for 1000D non-military color packs is minimal, at best. They make packs for the military, mostly, hence the color choices. Black is really the only non-mil color, since Foliage is part of the AUC pattern and is used for those items that can't be done in the full AUC pattern.

If you ordered 500+ packs, I know Camelbak will make whatever color you want. As a friend says "The answer is always 'yes'. The question revolves around 'how much?'"

Oh, I know, but I never give up hope. I know I'm not alone in the desire, I just don't have all the other folks...willing to pony up the cash...to go in with me for the special runs.

cmace22
05-18-10, 13:09
Given this, and that the customer-base for GMI is, well, government/military/industrial, the demand for 1000D non-military color packs is minimal, at best. "

So what is the main difference between the 500D and the 1000D packs besides weight.

Any positives or negatives. From what I have read its just as strong just lighter weight. Is this correct?

Thanks

TimW
05-18-10, 13:13
So what is the main difference between the 500D and the 1000D packs besides weight.

Any positives or negatives. From what I have read its just as strong just lighter weight. Is this correct?

Thanks

500D has about 80% of the abrasion resistance of 1000D, at about 34% less weight. For most people, this will be fine.

While the fabric is lighter, the resultant packs are about the same weight...Camelbak used the softer hand and lighter weight of the material to add some features that the 1000D wasn't able to offer.

So the 500D packs are slightly larger, and have some additional pockets, so the weight ends up being about the same.

cmace22
05-18-10, 13:16
500D has about 80% of the abrasion resistance of 1000D, at about 34% less weight. For most people, this will be fine.

While the fabric is lighter, the resultant packs are about the same weight...Camelbak used the softer hand and lighter weight of the material to add some features that the 1000D wasn't able to offer.

So the 500D packs are slightly larger, and have some additional pockets, so the weight ends up being about the same.

Thanks for the info.

Can you PM me your shop website.