PDA

View Full Version : Hackathorn Glock sights?

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-17-10, 22:29
Anyone tried these yet? They look perfect. Serrated black rear, trite front with orange ring.

Code3Patriot
05-17-10, 22:35
Link? My Google-fu didn't return any hits.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-17-10, 22:37
Ameriglo makes them.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL431.jpg

Jay Cunningham
05-18-10, 02:00
This thread is relevant to my interests.

Jay Cunningham
05-18-10, 02:09
Another front sight option that I really like:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd128/stelks98z28/ameriglo_373_tcm22-162199.jpg

CoryCop25
05-18-10, 02:15
Hey re-size that pic Katar! :D

Will these be available for a G21? I just purchased one and have not decided on sights yet. Was leaning toward Warren or Heiney but this seems to have the best of both. Where can you get them?

ranburr
05-18-10, 02:58
Those are not the sights that I saw on his Glock. Obviously he has multiple pistols, (or this could just be marketing by Ameriglo), but the ones that I have seen him use were a completely orange, large, square front sight (similar to the picture posted by The Katar, minus the tritium). The rear sight was similar, but not serrated and had a .200 wide notch.

javentre
05-18-10, 05:36
Ameriglo makes them.

If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have sworn it was Heinie.

NCPatrolAR
05-18-10, 05:42
Ameriglo makes them.

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL431.jpg

I believe these are the sights Ken was talking to me about up at USTC in Feb. Looks more interesting than having the entire front sight painted a bright color (that has caused me more issues than no paint has).

subzero
05-18-10, 06:52
If you hadn't mentioned it, I would have sworn it was Heinie.

Ditto.

That's a big notch on the rear sight!

rob_s
05-18-10, 07:11

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd128/stelks98z28/ameriglo_373_tcm22-162199.jpg

I have been meaning to order one of these and a matching rear for months and keep forgetting. I had an email from them with the model number of the front and corresponding rear and now can't seem to find it, and they only take orders over the phone which always presents an issue for me as I have a hard time breaking away for calls during the day.

ETA:
If someone knows of an online retailer that takes web orders & sells the above sight with the correct matches rear (all black) please post up a link for me.

ETA2: Looks like they have online ordering now, but I don't know which rear to pair with this front. Which, as I now recall, was the crux of the issue before and why I needed to call to order. I wanted an Operator rear without tritium and they don't list it on the site that I can find. The front is listed as
GL-212-OR All Glock Models (standard stock height) H=0.165 W=0.140 ProGlo ORANGE / SQUARE / / / GREEN / TRITIUM $50.00

rob_s
05-18-10, 07:35
OK, I think I got it figured out
Front
GL-212-OR
Height: 0.165
Width: 0.140
Style: ProGlo
Color: Orange Square + Green Tritium

Rear
GC-65R-180
Height: 0.256
Width: 0.180
Style: N/A
Color: FLAT / BLACK

Alternate Rear
GL-405P
Height: 0.256
Width: 0.180
Style: Pro
Color: FLAT / BLACK

Looks like the Hackathorn set uses that second "Pro" rear sight. Anyone done any one-hand manipulations with that sight to see how well it catches on holsters and such for slide-racking?

Palmguy
05-18-10, 07:59
The rear sight pictured is the GL-405P. I'm currently using that rear sight on my Glocks with a "standard" front night sight (GL-112, green tritium, white outline). I really like the setup, it's faster for me than the more conventional Glock night sights.

Robb Jensen
05-18-10, 08:04
I really like that Hackathorn front sight. I'd have to try that rear sight, however every other serrated rear sight I have messes with my eyes and causes me to first focus on the rear and then the front.

Littlelebowski
05-18-10, 08:15
Are these for sale yet? Any idea on the finish on the sights?

M4arc
05-18-10, 18:30

Yes. I ordered a set today and they shipped out this afternoon. I'll post a little review here in this thread once they arrive.

A lot of what Mr. Hackathorn was saying in class made sense to me and as much as I hate to admit it I'm getting older and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

I have a harder time picking up the front sight and focusing on it. The sights I'm running now are garbage so I'm looking forward to trying these and seeing if they make a difference.

I think I'll install them on my G26, or maybe my backup G19.

mvician
05-18-10, 18:44
AmeriGlo
GL-212-OR front sight
GL-233-OP-R rear sight

best combination I've found yet :D

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f240/mvician/GLOCKs/AmeriGloProOperator002.jpg

Jim D
05-18-10, 19:51

You can see/ buy them here:
http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/special-combinations

Fire_Medic
05-18-10, 19:55

Here's a couple of updated pics from the Ameriglo website:

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL431B_3.jpg

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/web%20image%20Pro%20Glo.jpg

rob_s
05-18-10, 20:21
Here's a couple of updated pics from the Ameriglo website:

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/GL431B_3.jpg

http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/web%20image%20Pro%20Glo.jpg

The first one, the Hackathorn, looks like it's a green dot in an orange field, while the second is a tritium dot in an orange field, no?

Fire_Medic
05-18-10, 20:35
The first one, the Hackathorn, looks like it's a green dot in an orange field, while the second is a tritium dot in an orange field, no?

Yes sir you are correct, I didn't even notice that when I posted the links..... :confused:

Drew78
05-18-10, 20:39
Gents- these set ups are outstanding. On both my Glock 19 and 26 I have the Ameriglo front with the square orange paint with a green trit vial paired up with the plain black serrated rear with the .200 wide notch. For my eyes its fast and allows complete focus on the front sight. I have shot with this set up out to 75' which is the max at my range and if I do my part you can easily dial in head shots.

The pic that The Katar posted of the orange square front has changed slightly. The pic is of the old style where they were using the orange lumanova paint. Hit it with a light and the paint really glows for a while. More of a novelty to me. I just replaced my orig front with the updated version and the paint around the trit vial is more like an enamal and is so bright its almost hot pink looking its so bright! It does not glow, but for me its a worthwile tradeoff.

-Drew

OPPFOR
05-18-10, 20:48
Just when I thought I was done buying after market sights. This makes me want to replace all my old trit sights. Damn!

M4arc
05-18-10, 20:53
Good to hear Drew! I'm looking forward to getting these sights and installing them.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-18-10, 20:56
I wish the orange paint on this were luminova (if it isn't). The two together would be pretty awesome. I ran the HK luminova sights through a shoot house a few years back and they were nearly perfect. I just lit up the front sight with my X200 and used it as an Aimpoint.

Robb Jensen
05-18-10, 22:25
I think I'm going to order a set of these Hackathorn sights to try a set of those on my Glock 17 Gen 4.

OPPFOR
05-18-10, 22:37
I think I'm going to order a set of these Hackathorn sights to try a set of those on my Glock 17 Gen 4.

Good idea. I've been looking for a reason to buy a Gen 4. Any in stock at VA Arms?

Agile53
05-19-10, 00:09
Fellas SIMILIAR to Drew78 I have the green trit w/ orange CIRCLE outline frt. mounted on my 19 & 26 w/ the plain black rear.

Ken & I had a discussion last Nov. when Wayne brought him down to DFW re. our aging eyes. He got me in touch w/ Rick @

Ameriglo who will get you squared away. Try sales@AmeriGlo.com for direct email to Rick, a good dude.

Drew78
05-19-10, 06:27
Fellas SIMILIAR to Drew78 I have the green trit w/ orange CIRCLE outline frt. mounted on my 19 & 26 w/ the plain black rear.

Ken & I had a discussion last Nov. when Wayne brought him down to DFW re. our aging eyes. He got me in touch w/ Rick @

Ameriglo who will get you squared away. Try sales@AmeriGlo.com for direct email to Rick, a good dude.

+1 on Rick being a great guy to do business with!

Robb Jensen
05-19-10, 07:24
Good idea. I've been looking for a reason to buy a Gen 4. Any in stock at VA Arms?

The Gen4s yes, Ameriglos no.

M4arc
05-19-10, 08:07

I've got a set on the way but by the time they come in, I get them installed and get them to the range you'll have probably run 1000+ rounds and done 2-3 matches with them. :D

Robb Jensen
05-19-10, 13:55
I've got a set on the way but by the time they come in, I get them installed and get them to the range you'll have probably run 1000+ rounds and done 2-3 matches with them. :D

I just ordered a set of Hackathorns but with a non serrated rear and another set of Defoor sights too. I think I'll put the Hackathorn sights on my Glock 22 Gen 4 and the Defoors on my Glock 17 Gen 4.
The 17 is a game gun. I like plain black sights for standard outdoor 'gaming' ;) For IDPA and concealed carry guns I use night sights.
I find plain black sights are very much more accurate for me for shooting outdoor competitions.

Beat Trash
05-19-10, 14:46
Is the rear notch on the rear sights with the night site vials wider than what is standard?

As my eyes grow older, I am playing with the idea of a wider rear notch, and maybe a narrow front sight. I have a harder time focusing on the front sight. I can see the target, but the sights, well...

For the guns I would mount these on, I want night sight vials in the sights. This sounds interesting.

Agile53
05-19-10, 15:54
BT I just sent you an M4C email re. your last post.

M4arc
05-19-10, 16:25
Mine arrived today!!!

I was able to get them installed using a brass punch and I did some dry firing drills, drawing from holster and low ready and so far I really like them! They are less busy than my Trijicons and that front sight is quick to pick up.

There is more than enough light around the front sight because of the .180 rear and so far I'm very happy. I'm planning on heading to the range this weekend to get some live rounds through them and make sure they're dialed in.

I'll try and get some photos for you guys tomorrow, when the lighting is better and I have some time to dick around with the camera.

tobasco
05-19-10, 16:41
call me weird, but i like the factory glock field goal sights. :D

JHC
05-19-10, 17:46

That is WAY weird. ;)

M4arc
05-19-10, 19:22

Okay weirdo!

DacoRoman
05-19-10, 20:06

I used to think those are good too, but then I saw what good sights were like, and then I realized just what a big distraction the rear "U" was and how the overly wide front Glock sight both slowed me down a hair and wasn't the best for extreme accuracy.

Mjolnir
05-19-10, 21:30
LMAO!

I used Testors paint and the finest tipped paint brushes to paint my Trijicon front sight on my Gen IV Model 17!

Ken (and many of you) think just like I do! (and that's a damned good thing I think) I'll order a front sight from Ameriglo but first I need to know if it's the same height as the Trijicon sight.

GREAT thread!!

HK45
05-20-10, 09:07

You ARE weird.;) Other than fragility I can see why you like them though. Lets call these Hackathorn sights what they are though. Old Fart Sights. Nothing wrong with that. At 50 I'm interested. I have a hard time wanting to use anything but Warrens though.

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-20-10, 10:41
Well, when I was in high-school my nickname was the "30 year old man" because I was reputed to be a bit boring and practical. So now that I am 36, maybe I am the "50 year old man" because I like these sights!:D

M4arc
05-22-10, 09:45
The good, the bad, and th truth;

I had a chance to get the Hackathorn sights dialed in this morning!

The Good:
I love the sight picture. That big orange front sight is easy to pick up and they are quicker to acquire. The wide rear lets a lot of light around the front sight and it's easier for me to focus on the front sight. With the Trijicons I found that my eyes were drawn, more often than not, to the rear sights resulting in a very fuzzy, out of focus, front sight.

The Bad:
I was hitting a little to the left and low, very low. I was able to bump the rear over a bit and was finally hitting center but I was still very, very low.

The Truth:
I was shooting like shit, like dog shit. It turns out it wasn't the sights causing me to hit low, it was my own piss-poor ability. I wasn't following through, I wasn't getting a good press and I was breaking my wrist. In other words I wasn't doing anything right.

Towards the end I started to settle down and I was able to finish on a high note but the previous 135 rounds were an utter waste of time and ammo.

Robb Jensen
05-22-10, 09:49

The Good:
I love the sight picture. That big orange front sight is easy to pick up and they are quicker to acquire. The wide rear lets a lot of light around the front sight and it's easier for me to focus on the front sight. With the Trijicons I found that my eyes were drawn, more often than not, to the rear sights resulting in a very fuzzy, out of focus, front sight.

The Bad:
I was hitting a little to the left and low, very low. I was able to bump the rear over a bit and was finally hitting center but I was still very, very low.

The Truth:
I was shooting like shit, like dog shit. It turns out it wasn't the sights causing me to hit low, it was my own piss-poor ability. I wasn't following through, I wasn't getting a good press and I was breaking my wrist. In other words I wasn't doing anything right.

Towards the end I started to settle down and I was able to finish on a high note but the previous 135 rounds were an utter waste of time and ammo.

I'm putting my Hackathorn sights on my Glock 22 Gen 4 today or next week. I bought them with a non-serrated rear sights. I also got a set of Defoors for my Glock 17 Gen 4.

Drew78
05-22-10, 10:15

The Good:

The Bad:

The Truth:

Glad you are liking the sights! Don't sweat the off day of shooting. At least you are honest enough to admit a bad day and that you know what to correct. Glad you got it all dialed in. You still running your CTC 417's?

-Drew

M4arc
05-22-10, 10:18
Glad you are liking the sights! Don't sweat the off day of shooting. At least you are honest enough to admit a bad day and that you know what to correct. Glad you got it all dialed in. You still running your CTC 417's?

-Drew

I am still running the LG-417s and getting more and more used to them.

HK45
05-22-10, 10:24

Been there. After all these years I have some days where I just shoot like shit.

M4arc
05-22-10, 11:10
Been there. After all these years I have some days where I just shoot like shit.

It was awful. I was looking over the sights to see where I was hitting (rarely) the target, jerking and slapping at the trigger, pushing down...it was awful.

M4arc
05-22-10, 11:11
I'm putting my Hackathorn sights on my Glock 22 Gen 4 today or next week. I bought them with a non-serrated rear sights. I also got a set of Defoors for my Glock 17 Gen 4.

I just installed a set of the Defoor sights on my Gen2 G19. Pretty nice!

Josh-L
05-22-10, 11:28
I didn't know about the Hackathorn front sight until after I ordered my Defoor sights and saw them in the flyer that came with them. I still like my Defoor sights and actually just ordered a second set but I shoot a little better with a fiber optic front but never found one I really liked enough to keep on my gun. Can they put the orange circle in the Defoor front sight? I could live without the tritium vial and just have the orange dot. That would make for the ultimate combo in my opinion.

SeriousStudent
05-22-10, 12:40
M4arc, thanks for the feedback on the sights! I just snagged a used G26, and am debating what sights to put on these.

I have a pair of Warren's on the way for two other Glocks, and I'm attempting to install a set of Defoor sights on a G-19 now.

As an old fart past the half-century mark, I think I will give these a shot on the G26. :D

M4arc
05-22-10, 13:01
As an old fart past the half-century mark, I think I will give these a shot on the G26. :D

Mr. Hackathorn stated that the reason he went with this combo is because his eyes aren't what they used to me. Maybe they'll work well for you too. I know they help me pick up that front sight and focus on it a hell of a lot quicker than the Trijicons.

msstate56
05-22-10, 15:31
I have been using the Ameriglo orange/tritium proglo front with a plain black .180 notch rear for about a year. I have this setup on all my Glocks now. I can't say enough about easy it is to pick up the front sight. I have been in several situations on duty where my pistol was either on a threat or slightly depressed, and in all situations I remember seeing the orange spot (which was the front sight). I'm not an old man either, but I will not trade precise target sight picture for the fast aquisition of the orange proglo front sight.

ck1
05-24-10, 09:12
Can they put the orange circle in the Defoor front sight? I could live without the tritium vial and just have the orange dot. That would make for the ultimate combo in my opinion.

+1. The .115" wide front combined with the orange dot to draw your eyes to it a bit easier/faster would be definitely worth checking out... might make the picture too busy, but I'd certainly try it first before forming an opinion as it quite possibly would rock...

Robb Jensen
05-24-10, 13:29
My Glock 17 Gen 4 on the left and Glock 22 Gen 4 on the right.

The 17 has the Defoor sights and the 22 has Hackathorn sights but with a non-serrated rear.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/frontsights2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/rearsights2.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
05-24-10, 15:54
I want to try the GL-212-OR Hackathorn sight with a GL-146R Operator rear sight.

Front sight width .140''
Rear sight width .150''

Orange + Tritium Front sight, with Green tritium rear sights.

If anybody tries a setup like this, they should post about it.

Josh-L
05-25-10, 13:49
Are there two versions of this sight... one with an orange circle and one with an orange square?

On a side note I needed to order a replacement set of iron sights for a factory Rem 870 barrel and ordered some Ameriglos. I asked Rich if they could make a Hackathorn front for the shotty and he said maybe next year. So if y'all think that's a good idea to strart buggin him to make one!

Assy Mcgee
05-26-10, 01:47
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/frontsights2.jpg

i like that big square orange area. it was hard for me to see the white outline on the standard trijicon sites at the indoor range.

do they make rear sights with those as well?

thanx

tpd223
05-27-10, 22:57
I ordered a set of that orange/trit front sight and the "Pro Operator" rear sight, along with a no tritium set of orange square front and plain black Pro rear sight for my AA .22 kit, looking forward to getting them installed.
Ameriglo is very helpful on the phone, and it's rather nice when you call and talk to an actual person who knows what they are talking about.

My only issue is that the Pro rear sights are slanted and I am a big fan of being able to use the rear sight as a one handed slide rack tool.
I absolutely detest the Novak rear sights for this reason.
I'll have to figure out a way to make the front more aggressive to be sure I can run the gun the way I prefer on wounded shooter drills.

OPPFOR
06-10-10, 13:40
I just installed a set of the Defoor sights on my Gen2 G19. Pretty nice!

I did the same. Nice sight picture.

OPPFOR
06-10-10, 13:44
These sights are the best set I own. Sporting them on my G4 17 now. Better than my Meps and 3 dot Trijicons. I went to order some more and they were sold out of the orange.

Very fast shipping as well. Ordered my set on a Tuesday evening and they were delivered Friday afternoon.

prestonoconnor
06-10-10, 14:19
I just saw saw a set of these sights on a glock 17. All I have to say is I am buying a set for me and a set for the wife.

BLACK LION
06-10-10, 15:21
I used to think those are good too, but then I saw what good sights were like, and then I realized just what a big distraction the rear "U" was and how the overly wide front Glock sight both slowed me down a hair and wasn't the best for extreme accuracy.

The Glock factory sights are fookery and the white "filed goal" U in the rear is a distraction at best. I found myself completely ignoring the rear sights when I took my G17 out this past weekend.
I am going to cop a set of the of the Ameriglos since replacing the factory sights with Ameriglos was already on the list... This is a bonus.

Thanks

Magic_Salad0892
06-11-10, 04:29
On my next check I'll be buying a Hackathorn front sight, and an Operator rear sight.

Probably will buy two.

longball
06-11-10, 09:04

I too would like to hear, or see if posssible, how this setup works as this is the same combination I have been considering for my carry guns. What combination of sights do you men prefer on defensive pistols (and why please)? I've read a lot of guys running plain black rears and I understand why that setup would be beneficial in daylight but wonder (I haven't shot that combo) about their functionality in the low light.

I ordered a set of that orange/trit front sight and the "Pro Operator" rear sight, along with a no tritium set of orange square front and plain black Pro rear sight.

Does anyone know where pictures of the different rear sights can be seen that show the difference between the operator/pro operator/classic?

M4arc
06-15-10, 08:28
For you guys that bought and installed the Hackathorn sights, how's your POA/POI? I seemed to be shooting low but that could have just been me.

I'm hitting the range tomorrow morning before work and will verify zero and hopefully shoot better than I did the last time out (honestly, it was like I had never shot a gun before) but wanted to check and see what others were experiencing with POA/POI.

RAM Engineer
06-15-10, 09:43
I've got a set on the way for my Gen4 G22. I wish the Defoor sights were back in stock. I'd like to try them on my G17 RTF2.

OPPFOR
06-15-10, 10:09
For you guys that bought and installed the Hackathorn sights, how's your POA/POI? I seemed to be shooting low but that could have just been me.

I'm hitting the range tomorrow morning before work and will verify zero and hopefully shoot better than I did the last time out (honestly, it was like I had never shot a gun before) but wanted to check and see what others were experiencing with POA/POI.

I'm dead on at 7-10 yards. Although I was all over the place during my last range trip but that was because I was experimenting with the large grip on my G4 17.

M4arc
07-06-10, 07:16
I wanted to provide an update on my progress with the Hackathorn sights on my primary CCW G19.

Since my last post I've put an additional 300 rounds through them in two range trips and I'm happy to report that they are working great for me and while I haven't run them on a timer (or have anything to compare it to) I seem to pick up my sight picture a lot quicker and am able to focus on the front sight easier.

POA/POI is right where I expect it when I do my part but every once in a while, if I rush it, I tend to shoot high. I believe this is due to the plain black rear; without the traditional two dots in the rear for me to use as a reference I have to rely on lining up the top of the front with the top of the rear, instead of using the dots. Apparently this was a habit I forumed and now I need to break it.

But like I said, if I do my part these sights are dead-nuts on and offer a great sight picture. I'll be ordering a couple more sets for my backup CCW and G26 which shares CCW dutites with my G19.

Kentucky Cop
07-06-10, 11:37
I want to try the GL-212-OR Hackathorn sight with a GL-146R Operator rear sight.

Front sight width .140''
Rear sight width .150''

M4ARC, is this the combo that you have been wanting to try per our PM discussion but didn't want to go first?;)

I called Ameriglo for some help and they said Rick is out of town but some Susan lady will call me back to assist. Will See...

Ky Cop

NotDylan
07-07-10, 04:16
I've been having issues focusing on the front sight and these sights appear to be just what I am looking for but I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere.

Magic_Salad0892
07-07-10, 06:43
Just some input...

I tried that sight combo I mentioned.

It was wretched. I couldn't focus on the front sight at all.

Slowed me down a lot.

I'm running the I-DOT now. Perfect in every way.

M4arc
07-07-10, 07:00
M4ARC, is this the combo that you have been wanting to try per our PM discussion but didn't want to go first?;)

I called Ameriglo for some help and they said Rick is out of town but some Susan lady will call me back to assist. Will See...

Ky Cop

No. In my opinion there isn't enough difference in the width to make that combo an option for me. a .140 front with a .150 rear would be like running a set of Mepros.

I wouldn't mind trying the Hackathorn front sight with the GL-229-OP-R (Pro Operator yellow) rear sight though. It's .180 wide.

RAM Engineer
07-07-10, 07:36
I wouldn't mind trying the Hackathorn front sight with the GL-229-OP-R (Pro Operator yellow) rear sight though. It's .180 wide.

I'd like to try that rear sight with my Hackathorn front also. However, I was told by Rick @ Ameriglo that the next run of Pro rear sights will have a redesigned contour. Hopefully this will remove my only complaint about the Pro rears vs. the standard ones: The Pros are not one handed slide racking friendly (like Novaks)

M4arc
07-07-10, 08:07
I'd like to try that rear sight with my Hackathorn front also. However, I was told by Rick @ Ameriglo that the next run of Pro rear sights will have a redesigned contour. Hopefully this will remove my only complaint about the Pro rears vs. the standard ones: The Pros are not one handed slide racking friendly (like Novaks)

That would be nice, I think that would be the perfect rear sight then.

HK45
07-22-10, 16:32
These sights are finally back in stock at the Ameriglo site. Use coupon code GSSF to get 20% off these or any other Glock sights.

dojpros
07-22-10, 21:50
Just ordered up an I Dot rear with a .125 trit front. I will add a bit of orange paint/fingernail polish and see what there is to see.

I am running the .140 orange square fronts w/green trit with a .180 all black rear (glock profile) with good results to date. However, the I-Dot (.180) with a .125 front may be the ultimate set up for my 45ish
astigmatic/need a distance correction eyes.

Ga Shooter
07-23-10, 11:16
OK. I have been looking at this thread and Ameriglo website and here are my problems I need help with. I have been running Heine Straight 8s and putting orange tape on the front. This looks like what I want, but the plain rears are what I cannot decide on. If I go with their I dot rear then I have to change the heigth of their front sight which will not work. I dont like the three dot tritium because of the possiblity of misaligning at night. If I go plain rear how do I line up at night? These will be going on my new Gen 4 17.

ck1
07-23-10, 11:41
OK. I have been looking at this thread and Ameriglo website and here are my problems I need help with. I have been running Heine Straight 8s and putting orange tape on the front. This looks like what I want, but the plain rears are what I cannot decide on. If I go with their I dot rear then I have to change the heigth of their front sight which will not work. I dont like the three dot tritium because of the possiblity of misaligning at night. If I go plain rear how do I line up at night? These will be going on my new Gen 4 17.

Ok, this is a very subjective subject and opinions vary so don't want to get into a flame-war, but here's my $0.02 as far as going with a plain rear vs. a tritium equipped rear whether one dot or two...

This is my take (and I do train in low-light from time to time to keep sharp and build some muscle-memory for low-light situations), IMO other than with the possible exception of shooting the occasional low-light/night IDPA match a couple times a year, I don't think tritium in the rear sight is really a necessity and in some ways, if they're too bright, may actually make it harder on your eyes to get good focus in low-light.
Human eyes work in low-light by collecting any available light at the expense of loss of focus, so trying to see at distance while simultaneously putting a light source up-close into your field of vision is scientifically flawed, your eyes will just want to look at the tritium and you'll have to overcome that natural instinct to make your target, under-stress that seems like a stretch IMO...

I don't think an SD scenario exists where you won't be able to make out your rear notch but will still need perfect alignment to make a good hit... if you can't make out the back of your hand/pistol about 18" or so from your face, I seriously doubt you can see a living-breathing target well enough to be shooting at it.

JMHO, but tritium/night sights being a must-have is a myth that usually just ends up with guys putting sights on their guns that are actually less effective for most of the time they're likely to be shooting it.
Yes, tritium/night sights are a clear advantage at dawn and at dusk, that said, better off picking the best sights for the other 22+ hours of the day and keeping a flashlight in your pocket...

FWIW, I think a tritium in front is probably the best of both worlds or the way to go if you're on the fence about it, you'll get a better sight picture for 99% of the time without any distractions on your rear sight, but the tritium dot is there if needed... think you'll find you don't miss the tritium in the rear very much, if at all.

I've been using non-tritium/plain all-black sights for a while now after years of insisting on night sights, and pretty much the only time I feel hindered by them in any way is when trying to take a shot from a lit room into a dark room (which is exactly when I should be employing my light anyway), you'd be surprised to find that in most cases I pick 'em up just fine, in fact, to some degree, in low-light the notch/light-bars around the front blade actually become really clear.
YMMV....

Ga Shooter
07-23-10, 20:35
Thanks CK. That gives me an idea. I will take black electrical tape and tape over my rear dot on my Heinie and see how that works then I will be comfortable ordering with palin rear rears.

dojpros
07-23-10, 21:33
Black sharpies and black fingernail polish all work as well.

ck1
07-23-10, 22:08
That's how it started for me... Blacked-out my rear temporarily, shot maybe 200rds and have been hooked on all-black rears since, until you try it you won't believe how much your eyes will like it (especially after you look at sights with rear dots again after not having them there for a while).